Which oil in high mileage corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm purchasing a 96 corolla with 140k miles on it. The owner says it burns less than a half a quart every 2k miles or so. I'm not sure what oil he is currently using yet. I'm thinking about running some autorx through it and having used that to stop a rear main seal leak in our 99 rx300, i figured i'd try it on the corolla to clean things up. The owner says he see no spots on the driveway so it appears it's not leaking.

I think his name is Frank with Autorx, says not to run synthetics or high mileage oil because they degrade the seals. What do you guys think? Trying to figure out if i should just run dino oil in it or not.

Thanks

i would second the auto-rx clean/rinse cycle. then If it were me I would run a cheaper dino and either change every 5K or just keep adding oil to it and change the filter once or twice a year depending on the driving habits and mileage you will be putting on it

This in my opinion would be an excellent engine in which to use a high mileage oil such as Valvoline Maxlife. I would insist that Frank support his argument about damage to seals, one which he has made here before without support. On the contrary there good reason to believe that seal conditioning is a benevolent and necessary task for any engine oil. Maxlife is an excellent oil and has given excellent results for many people here, including myself. Those results include first-rate wear performance as well as useful reductions in oil consumption. I don't like to see people advised to stay away from what appears to be an excellent product, especially without evidence in support of such a position. Frank does sell a competing product, which also appears to work well for most people.

Forget the overpriced additives go with Maxlife run it for at least 4,000 miles and see where you stand consumption wise. A half quart in 2,000 miles is no need for concern.

Thanks for the input...since i've already ordered some autorx i guess i'll run it through but sounds like after the clean and rinse cycles i can move to the maxlife.

Is there a particular weight i should be running?

assume 5w30 is probably on the oil cap and in the manual.

the maxlife does get rave reviews on here. glennc's uoa was a good one

Thanks again for help! I should probably send an oil sample off before i start all of this, then one after the autorx treatment and then one after running the maxlife for 3 or 4k miles.

I'm curious to see what the numbers look like.

I have a 96 Geo Prizm LSi (rebadged Corolla) with 211,500 miles. I used Quaker State 5w30 last OCI, I go 4000 miles with little/no oil loss. Sometimes when I start the car after sitting for a few days, it will puff a blue cloud, but while driving it burns no oil (visibly at least).

Anyways Im going to change it next week and use 5w-30 Pennzoil dino with a super-tech oil filter.

Chiznat - that's likely your valve guide seals - if you go to a HM oil (any of them) - that blue smoke at start up will (likely) essentially disappear. I have a Mazda 323 w/ about 215k miles on it - w/ regular dino it can put a nice cloud of smoke at start-up or after idling. HM oils (SuperTech, Castrol, Maxlife and now M1 HM - I've used them all) all essentially eliminate this startup smoke. HMs are not over-hyped in this application.

140k?

Just broken in.

After your Auto_rx (which I do not think you need) I'd go with ANY name brand 5w-30 conventional oil every 5k or 6 months and your good to go.

I've got 105k on my Corolla and would not think of anything but changing the oil. 1/2 quart for 2000 miles is good.

I'm using with the latest oil 24oz every 4-5k. So a quart every 6-7k.

If you don't need HM oil, I'd not use it myself.

Just my 2 cents.

Take care, Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

I've got a 1998 Chevy Prism (Corolla twin), I have 78,000 miles on mine and I've been running 5w-30 maxlife. I doubt I need it, I've never had any consumption issues, like Bill said above I think these little engines can last on any type oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back