Diesel Oil Zinc Heading South?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I hate rumors. But, just read one, something about zinc in diesel oil will be eliminated sometime in 2008. Any truth to this? I have a feeling that it ain't so. Give me some good info so I can fire back.

It was reduced to 1200 ppm (more than enough, really) for 2007, but it is still there. Don't worry. HDEO is for commercial users so they don't screw around.

Most diesel oil is 15W-40 and exempt from the ZDDP reductions of SM (for dual rated) grade oils by not being a 30 weight.

Last edited:
Quote:
It was reduced to 1200 ppm (more than enough, really) for 2007, but it is still there.

1200 ppm for the CJ-4, up to 1500 ppm for the CI-4.

Anyone else?

i am no oil expert but in order for cost effectiveness they aren;t going to roll out 10 different HDEO oil lines for different engines. The engineers will add something that will take the place of zinc and what ever else is replaced for emissions. i am sure zinc won;t be completely eliminated but it might be reduced and work in tandem with something else that they add to the oil.

Last edited:
I agree. I'm no expert, but I've done lots of reading and haven't seen one word from any reliable source stating an elimination of zinc in the near future.

I started this thread because some dude, in some other forum, stated that ALL zinc in motor oil was gonna be eliminated in 2008. I hate rumors. That's why I searched to learn about oil, because I was so confused concerning oil. Best thing I did was to find Bob Is The Oil Guy!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Need to tell that guy on that other forum to come on over and join us. Maybe he will learn something.

I did. Also told him that his info was wrong. Haven't heard a peep out of him. Figures.

Originally Posted By: Pacecar
I resent the geographical slur of the topic heading.

Heading South is an old saying which means Going Down. Don't Make A Mountain Out Of A Mole Hill is another old saying. :)

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Uh, I think he was joking about the slur.

Yes, I realize that. I was joking too.
smirk2.gif

If anything it made them build a better oil. Api might have reduced the zinc and ash but they didn't lower the bar any on the performance "pass" testing. Hate to cite an advertisement (take it fwiw) but this is how shell compares CI (more zinc) with new CJ http://www.sopus-staging.com/staging/gats_06_part1/press/triple_01.pdf

Industry has no concern about reduced zinc, 10% cost increase is what they seem more worried about.

Fellas, that "rumor" isn't completely right, but its not completely wrong, either. Nobody in government "mandated" the removal of zinc, but they did mandate catalytic converters on diesel engined passenger vehicles and pick-ups starting in 2008. And catalytic converters don't like zinc. So with the introduction of the diesels, the oil companies reformulated their diesel oils too.

Any oil that is rated API-SL (or CI for diesel oil) still would have enough zinc to avoid most problems...but API-SL and CI are getting mighty scarce. If the oil you are considering using is rated as API-SM it doesn't have enough zinc (840 ppm on average) if its rated CJ...it "may not" have enough zinc...it depends on whether the particular oil company "goes up to the max" of allowable zinc. If the "full 1200ppm is present, that's probably enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back