Wiper Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, update since last post. Ended up putting the framed Boschs back on the 1997 F150, the Michelins had a tendency to lift up at highway speeds. I traded in the 1997 and bought a used 2005 Super Crew that the PO had put Icons on. These did the same thing the Michelins did, fixing to replace those as well. What junk, looks arent worth the extra $$$. Cheap, framed is the way to go.

97F150,
What size blades were you using on your F150? I see that Ford switched from 22" to 20" blades on the 1999 F150. I don't think they changed the windshield shape from 97 to 99 though. I always have a problem with the passenger side blade flopping around in the wind because it kind of hangs off the edge of the windshield. It seems to be too long to follow the curve of the windshield. I was thinking of using a 22" on the drivers side and a 20" on the passenger side.

The owners manual said to use 22" on both sides and that is what I went with. Never did a framed one hang off the passenger side, but the Michelin ones did. On my 2005 F150 they are 20", as stated in the manual, and the passenger one dosent hang off but they still lift up at highway speeds.

I've had my duralast wiper blades on for a month. worked flawlessly so far. I'm glad since we had 3 inches of snow come through here last week.

Originally Posted By: blueiedgod
I use TripleEdge, they come with lifetime warranty. I usually replace them once a year, for free.

how??? they use give you new one?????? where????

Chrysler has a TSB saying if bad wiper performance clean wiper blades before replacing. Use 1/2 water 1/2 Alcohol or washer fluid and clean blade and test performance.

If performance sucks still, repeat up to 3 times total. If the performance is not up to par then replace the wiper after the third time.

I tried this on one vehicle that the blades were intact and it seemed to work. Plus the wipers usually come with a little cleaning packet in with the wiper blades, so this makes some sense.

Last edited:
Wow, just wanted to add great thread and I'm going to change blades soon. Might pick up some Valeo or some Bosch ones for my tC...

I think the special on the Anco AeroVantage blades is still going on.

I have Michelin Radius on the Impala. Not too bad so far. I bought a box of alcohol swabs from a drugstore to keep in the car to wipe the road gunk off the blades every so often.

I have a wiper question. The rear wiper on my 89 Civic wagon is lame. The arm apparently is too weak to hold the wiper blade down flush to the glass, so it is bowed out and only makes contact near the ends of the blade, leaving the area covered by the middle of the blade untouched. Do I just need a new blade or is there an issue with the spring in the arm mechanism? Does anyone know how to fix this?

Cleaning the blades is a must. I use Anco winters. Basicly, I buy 1 a year, and rotate the drives one to the passenger side. Sounds cheap, but I end up buying them for several cars. I think any blade, except the ones with the flimsy cheap plastic backbone is fine.

Originally Posted By: Cogito
I have a wiper question. The rear wiper on my 89 Civic wagon is lame. The arm apparently is too weak to hold the wiper blade down flush to the glass, so it is bowed out and only makes contact near the ends of the blade, leaving the area covered by the middle of the blade untouched. Do I just need a new blade or is there an issue with the spring in the arm mechanism? Does anyone know how to fix this?

Buy a new arm.

My windshield has a lot of micro-pitting, so it tends to have modes wiper performance no matter what brand I try...and I have tried many. It also wears out the wiper quickly.
I know...I should replace the windshield, but I only plan on keeping the car for another year or two.

So, I frequently scrub the windshield with Stoner's (the stuff actually works) and change wipers every few months.
I just placed a set of Trico Exact-fits, and I must say that they do wipe very well, even on my trashed windshield. I notice that they seem to have a stronger spring than the others I have tried, so maybe that is what helps their performance...

I find that the cheapest one I can find at walmart last almost as long as the expensive due to the weather here. I change all 3 vehicles twice a year pre-winter and post winter. Between salt, sun, rain, snow and ice none ever hold up very long and the safety factor of having the wife & daughter have clear vision while driving makes wiper blade replacement a critical component.

Costco was selling two packs of wiper blades for about $12 (of the same size). Can't remember the brand, but it was a major one.

I remember seeing those (at Costco). They have them from time to time and the ones I've seen are a coated-natural-rubber design. Looks very good.

I switched some time ago to Bosch Icons and have been happy, primarily because they don't lift at speed. However I am going to try a different approach in the near future and buy a whole new wiper arm and wiper for the left side from BMW. I'm thinking that the lifting problem in the first place was probably caused by a worn spring, and if a new OEM arm/blade gives good performance then I can just buy refills in the future from BMW. Should be cheap and effective. The Icons did not last longer than regular blades, for me, and are quite expensive.

Another thing about the Icons is that contrary to their marketing, they are not really an all-weather blade. In slushy snow they will still build up ice and fail to clean the window. So either way I need to do a summer/winter swap.

Last edited:
IVe used almost everything except bosch wiper blades... IM just not a fan of anyting bosch..a company, that tries to manipulate or make anything except toaster ovens i think, and as we all know, toaster don't belong on cars:) lol.
Ive found bets resluts, with trico blades. NAPA's werent bad, and so were valuecraft. I usually get ANCO from autoazone, they work really good, and i usually get about 2 years outta them, before they start sticing and skimping along my wondshield. what turns me off about ANCO at autozone is, they don't sell the refills, like AAP trico's do.
My vote goes to Tico:) why change a good thing

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Costco was selling two packs of wiper blades for about $12 (of the same size). Can't remember the brand, but it was a major one.

I think I picked up Michelin wiper blades at Costco (or [censored]'s Wholesale Club) a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back