Oil Choice for Craftsman 29cc 4-cycle Line Trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got a new weed-eater. Yes, I realize that's a brand name, but that's what we've always called them all, Weed-Eater or not.

So, this said Craftsman weed-eater calls for SAE30. I'm thinking of going with Castrol Syntec 0w-30. I mean, why not? It's 0w-30, and it's GC. It's not going to shear down, and it's also a thick 30 weight oil.

Anyone see anything wrong with this? Right now, I have the Craftsman SAE30 that came with it in it. But, I'm gonna change that out after I run a couple of tank fulls of gas through it.

Amsoil ACD is the oil to beat. Straight 30 syn that has a diesel HD add pack, and also flows like a 10w-30.

JMH

Being that you would probably never use the trimmer in cold weather I would use a run of the mill SAE30 and change it often.

Let us know how you like it. My neighbor has a Troy Bilt 4 stroke trimmer with the edger attachment. His would overheat and quit when using the edger attachment.

How do I like it... hmm. It's ok. Decent power. I wanted to try the 4-stroke, hoping it would last a long time. Dunno if it will. It hardly uses any fuel, so that's a plus. But, has no problem cutting grass, but I don't have any of the attachments for it, just the 'line trimmer' or w/e. So far, it weed-eats good.

I really would like an oil I can just get in a store. That's the only reason why I won't be getting the Amsoil this time around.

I don't... feel good using SAE30, lol. I'd like to use a synthetic in it due to the heat it will be used in, and the condition that it will normally be used under wide open throttle.

Would a synthetic oil not be better? I'm not disagreeing with you guys. Just pretend money isn't a problem (not that it isn't), would a synthetic not be better for it?

A synthetic is always a better choice, it flows easier and lubricates all the critical parts much better than dino oil. Plus you can go longer between oil changes, saving you money in the end.

How does this sears unit use the oil? Does it get used like any other 4 cycle engine or is it mixed with the fuel during operation of the engine?

Just asking as there appears to be 3 types of 4 cycle engines used in small equipment. Those that require premix oil/fuel, those that mix oil/fuel during operation and those that perform like normal 4 cycle engines.

Well, would Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (GC) not be a good choice? Since they will both be the same viscosity (or same range) by warm up. And wouldn't the synthetic still be harder to lose viscosity under load?

I really just want what's BEST for it. I've been running GC in our 17.5hp Craftsman lawn mower and it seems to like it.

And it's like the normal 4-cycle, then. No mixing of anything.

Last edited:
I had 1/2 qt of left over Mobil-1 0W-30 from an OC in for my car I used in my lawn mower (takes 14 oz of oil). The mower seems to like it, at least it starts on the 1st pull now. It did not always do that with the straight SAE30.

In reality, so long as it is a reasonable synthetic, it will do great. The more robust/slightly more viscous/less VI-filled oils will be better choices because of the tougher nature of operation in an air-cooled engine.

GC is a very robust oil that ought not have any VIIs, IIRC. However, the Amsoil ACD is so attractive because it has the diesel-spec additive package, which ought to deal better with the way relatively dirty small engines run.

I dont think youll go wrong with GC though...

JMH

Originally Posted By: Jaymus

I really would like an oil I can just get in a store. That's the only reason why I won't be getting the Amsoil this time around.

Amsoil's ACD is a full synthetic,shoot you could buy a whole gallon jug and it would last you many years,

i run the ACD in all my yard equipment,great oil with a great
add pack and no vii's so it won't shear,tough oil.

I ran Shell Rotella-T 5w40 in the 4-stroke Troy-Bilt string trimmer I had. I would imagine they will run on anything though seeing as they hold a whole ~3oz of oil. A quart of liquid gold will last you the life of the unit. Hopefully you like your little 4-stroke more than I liked that Troy-Bilt. I replaced it with a new 2-cycle Husqvarna.

Joel

Was your four-stroke the 2-string or 4-string type? And is your new 2-stroke a 2 or 4 string type? 4-strings does kill the power. But, I noticed that after mine warmed up, it really didn't have a problem with anything. It's just so hard to mow around and under chain link fences with 4, tough strings powered by a 29cc, 4 stroke. It hits them and nearly bogs it out. But, I'm not sure how a 2-stroke would do with the same 4-string head set up while hitting chain link fences. But, yeah, the little 29cc engine gets hot while mowing them.

Maybe I should go with 5w-40 synthetic Rotella. It gets between 90-100 around here in the summer, anyways. Right now, the highs are in the 70's, nice and cool.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Was your four-stroke the 2-string or 4-string type?

It was a 2 string head. I wasn't aware a 4 string existed? That's gotta be fun to fill the spools and keep straight. The most annoying thing about the 4 cycle Troy-Bilt was the lack of a clutch. It was direct drive from the engine to the trimmer head. You couldn't set it down and anything that wound around the head would kill the engine instantly. Also, if it wasn't stored horizontally, or if it tipped on it's side, oil would either seep out the carb or fill the muffler. You could easily empty the tiny oil sump if not stored properly. That engine also required valve lash adjustments. It had jamb-nut adjusters on it.

Joel

Last edited:
You should see the new 4-string heads. You don't fill them like the normal bump kinds. You have pre-cut strings that you just insert. Faster, yes. Efficient, no. But, it will sling grass like no other weed-eater I've had. I just hope it lasts. It's hard to buy something new these days that will last as long as something did from the 80's.

Yep, that was another annoying feature of the Troy-Bilt. You loaded the head with a single pre-cut pc of thick line. You fed the line through so both ends stuck out. It worked ok, but it felt like I was constantly having to stop to dig out the worn line and replace it with new. Of course it was a thick odd size so you couldn't buy a roll and pre-cut sections for yourself.

Joel

I have a Honda powered 4-stroke trimmer that I've been putting through *helll* for the last 3 years, still works great. I use Redline 10W30, primarily for the high heat protection that Redline affords. Even at $13.00CDN for a 1000ml bottle, it only costs $1.30 per oil change, lol.

Originally Posted By: atoalson
A synthetic is always a better choice, it flows easier and lubricates all the critical parts much better than dino oil. Plus you can go longer between oil changes, saving you money in the end.
No filter would limit its use.

I have a Craftsman lawn mower I got from a neighbor who used it 1 time and moved.It gets hot in Redding Calif. "one of Califs arm pits" I use what ever oil is left over syn oil, assorted xw/30 wts last summer 5w/20 Motorcraft this year will be Castrol 5w/50 I found while cleaning my dads garage. I want the motor to die so I can get a better lawn mower. I have welded the cracking chassis and added gussets and reinforced the the lower edge of the chassis .The thing won't die and as long as it runs I will keep it. I have changed the oil in spring and fall by turning the lawn motor on its side and letting the oil drain from the fill hole and put a filter on each year or so.

I'd just like to update that the GC 0W-30 has been doing excellent in the weed-eater and my 17.5hp B&S engine in our Craftsman lawnmower.

The lawnmower's oil consumption is down to a minimum, btw. The weed-eater hasn't used any oil, period.

The first synthetic I used in the lawmower was Supertech 10W-30. It ate that stuff up. GC is really suprising me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back