Seal Conditioners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what they use in oil to condition the seals? Does it just swell them ot does it soften them too?

I know because I took 15 seconds to do a search and instantly found a thread on this subject that was created by one of our resident SME's

There are other discussions, as well...

Instead of being smart maybe we could be helpful? Maybe a link?

Why do people feel the need to not answer and make smart comments?

I did a search and didn't find one instantly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman

No offense, but I feel no need to do BASIC RESEARCH for others in an effort to help them.

I'm not sure how much easier it can be; search thread titles for SEAL

There are actually a couple MolaKule threads on seals/conditioners.

If you don't know how to search, there are threads on that subject too!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman

I agree, c'mon man, just answer with a link to the supposed "post" instead of wasting thread space with smart comments...lol. I do searches all the time without finding what I'm lookin for, and sure enough after I post my question someone usually has the answer in the form of a link to another thread where the question was already discussed.

I always thought seal conditioners were actually chemicals that don't get along with the seals- therefore causing them to swell. In the short run they swell and quit leaking, but after a while they completely deteriorate and are worse than in the beginning.

On aircraft fuel injectors I clean them with acetone, and the o-rings swell twice their size and completely fall off. It makes it easier to replace them, but also proves my point.

If you don't like doing research for people and helping them why are you on a forum and answering questions? That is what forums are for. To help people and get information out. If they didn't want people asking questions for help the forum would not be open to everyone to ask.

I was looking for chemicals used in oil for that purpose. Do the threads you found answer that directly? The ones I were reading didn't.

Last edited:
Sorry, but when I see thread after thread with basic questions that have been discussed at length, it annoys me

The regurgitation of subjects is more of a waste of forum space than my minor rant.

Instead of discussing it here, it should be in one of MolaKule's threads, thus providing continuity and a show of respect to him and others who take the time to share their profession with us.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=21&Number=1087287

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=1&Number=94172

I don't mind that some may see my views as 'unfriendly', as those who earn my respect are never turned away...

Good point. In other forums, but not this one, once someone links to an already answered thread, the moderator will let things ride for a day and then make it disappear. They used to do this all the time on Edmund's Town hall forums. And yeah, it is much better if folks just provide a link instead of lecturing people on the search function. We're not kids here.

Last edited:
A well-run forum becomes a true knowledge base.

No one even updates the dead links in archived technical threads, etc

Laziness is the scourge of modern-day society, but in my case, it's an expired supply of patience...

Hey, I've tried to be helpful in my posts....

This is the first time anyone has ever responded to me LOL

mitosis...that reminds me of a Seinfeld episode

Sorry but I only went back a couple years on my search. One link you gave was about 4 years back. It did give me at least a partial answer I believe.

Esters are used to swell seals. Any other chemical or is that it?

What chemical conditions them? Or does the oil itself keep them in good condition?

Last edited:
This place is for learning and helping others. There is no reason for anyone here to act that way.

i find for me at least it helps to put what I am looking for in quotes ie.. "seal conditioners" etc...

Auto-Rx cleans the seal material front & back (we don,t swell anything as swelling a seal weakens it) go to website type in seals on home page search engine.You will learn how we stop seal leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back