1st oil change on new Nissan Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be overkill to change the oil before 3K miles on my wife's new Altima 2.5S? It just turned over 1K miles and its 2 months old.

Just wondering. I'm ready to dump some of that PP in 'er!

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
Would it be overkill to change the oil before 3K miles on my wife's new Altima 2.5S? It just turned over 1K miles and its 2 months old.

Just wondering. I'm ready to dump some of that PP in 'er!

You just answered your own question, you said you were ready, so just do it.

Your engine will thank you now and you will thank yourself when you hit 100,000 miles and have no oil consumption. 1000 is always my first OCI on a new engine. If I buy a demo with 2-3000 on it then It gets an oil change that day. SOP in all my vehicles excepy motorcycles where it gets an OCI at 100, 500 & 1000.

No, it wouldn't be overkill, it would be a good idea - the wear metal count is pretty high on break-in oil. I prefer to do the first oil change at 500-1000 miles.

I'm in the "change at 1000 mi" camp. Changed the factory fill out on my 2008 Rogue at 890 mi and have been rewarded with zero oil consumption and stellar UOA's-has the same 2.5L as your Altima. Doing a change now would be a great idea in my experience.

Enjoy

REDDOG

Changed out my FF on my 08 Corolla a few days ago at 1500 miles. Probably should have done her at 1000 but got too busy. Currently running Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w-30, and eventually Pennzoil Platinum.

Just turned 1,000 on my 08 Sienna. I plan to change soon to Pennzoil yellow bottle 5W-30 and then PP 5W-30 with 5,000 mile intervals.

Did my 08 Liberty at 500 miles filled with Pennzoil yellow bottle 5W-20. Was going to wait till 2500 miles and switch to PP 5W-20, might do it at 1500-2000 miles instead, not sure. Then go to 6 month OCI's for warranty reasons using PP 5W-20.

Frank D

Cars are much better nowadays concerning first oil change mileage.
But you only get once chance to perform this function at this mileage. Nothing really to lose, and possible and probably gain from changing it a bit early.

I finally got ride of my, must do a first change at 500 & 1000 & 1,500 miles. While I don't go for the first change at 5000 or 7500 as some manufactures suggest, I think the 500-1000 miles first change is obsolete. My last 3 vehicles were sold with 127,000 to 176,000 miles. None of them had ANY oil related issues except one valve cover gasket. I now change out at ~ 2,500-3,000 miles the first time and switch over to a blend or full Syn at that time. Some or most engines are assembled using a generous amount of assembly lubricants and or use additives in the factory fill to assist in break-in. Changing out too early is probably not a snort thing. The words "too early" is the key to the correct answer or each engine. 2,500 to 3,000 miles has worked excellent for me and some friends. The argument about damaging bits is over hyped as all of my vehicles have a full-flow oil filter. Just my experience. Ed

Last edited:
I never had a new car before the 06 vibe, I changed out the factory fill at 770 miles. the OEM filter was a PITA to get off

Seems to be a common theme! Drain FF early on, go to Pennzoil conventional for awhile, and then settle down with the PP.

Sounds like a good plan to me!
11.gif

I screwed with the factory filter for over an hour. Crushed it with the channel locks and just butchered the poor thing. Ended up going to a quickie lube place and offered to tip em' 10 bucks to get the [censored] thing off. They did it for nothing and wouldn't take a tip.

I see your points Eddie and I don't disagree at all that you and your friend's method works wonderfully. But there are others who will probably say they and their friends changed out FF early and have a bazillion miles on their XXXXX. Either way, I do not believe changing out FF early is a prescription for an early engine death.

I found the oil filter and oil drain plug this evening. I can't believe how easy Nissan actually made it to get to both. The oil filter is right inside the passenger side wheel well and the drain plug right on the back right corner of the pan.
There is a small flap that you can push through with your hand to reach the oil filter.
I'm surprised at you NISSAN! !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back