Lexus RX330 complete brake job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PT1
One thing, Lexus has 2 part numbers for the front rotors. One for Japan built and one for Canadian built. Centric has one part number for both. I called their customer service line and they said their part number is for both. What do you suppose that is?

I did some research and here's what I found.

The Japan build models use one rotor for both the front and rear, and the USA build models use a different rotor for both the front and rear. In either case, both the front and rear rotors are identical.

Now, the rotors for the Japan build model have an outside diameter of 12.56", but the ones for the USA built model is 11.34".

Centric lists the correct front rotor for a Japan build, but the incorrect one for the USA build. Conversely, they list the correct rear rotor for the USA build, but the wrong one for the Japan build.

Of course, I got all of this info from Raybestos, and they may very well be wrong as well.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
One thing, Lexus has 2 part numbers for the front rotors. One for Japan built and one for Canadian built. Centric has one part number for both. I called their customer service line and they said their part number is for both. What do you suppose that is?

I did some research and here's what I found.

The Japan build models use one rotor for both the front and rear, and the USA build models use a different rotor for both the front and rear. In either case, both the front and rear rotors are identical.

Now, the rotors for the Japan build model have an outside diameter of 12.56", but the ones for the USA built model is 11.34".

Centric lists the correct front rotor for a Japan build, but the incorrect one for the USA build. Conversely, they list the correct rear rotor for the USA build, but the wrong one for the Japan build.

Of course, I got all of this info from Raybestos, and they may very well be wrong as well.
wink.gif

Well looks like I am stuck with the OEM ones unless I special order the raybestos ones which only saves me $10 each.
frown.gif
BTW they are not wrong as my parts guy in town tried to explain this to me today.

Last edited:
Do you have Japan or USA build? Just order the correct part numbers from either vendor.

Do you have Japan or USA build? Just order the correct part numbers from either vendor.

USA (actually Canadian) build. I'll just get the Raybestos ones. Funny thing they had 2 of the front ones in stock today and somebody took them while I was on the phone. Note the front rotor on mine is larger diameter and vented and the rear is solid.

Last edited:

USA (actually Canadian) build. I'll just get the Raybestos ones. Funny thing they had 2 of the front ones in stock today and somebody took them while I was on the phone. Note the front rotor on mine is larger diameter and vented and the rear is solid.

Odd, maybe Centric does have the correct part numbers for your application then?

BTW...if you go with the Raybestos rotors, make sure you get the Advanced Technology ones. They come with black colored hats. They have been out for over a year now. If the auto parts store sells you the "PG Plus" ones, they are the old stock. The PG Plus and the Advanced Technology rotors should be about the same price.

Thanks for looking that up for me I really appreciate it! I'm going to measure the front one tomorrow and see.

Last edited:
Well I checked Rockauto and the 2004 Highlander shares Raybestos 11.34" part number 980211 with the RX330 rear rotor and the Highlander has a 11.65" front rotor part number 980159 on the front which is carried by Rockauto. Could this be it?

The Highlanders share the same rear rotors and pads with your car, but only the 2006-2007 models use the same front pads. None of the Highlanders share the same front rotors.

I think the Raybestos catalog is wrong. It's impossible for the vehicle to use the same rotors for the front and the rear. It doesn't make any sense for the vehicle to use solid rotors in the front.

The Centric part numbers were correct all along.
33.gif

The Highlanders share the same rear rotors and pads with your car, but only the 2006-2007 models use the same front pads. None of the Highlanders share the same front rotors.

I think the Raybestos catalog is wrong. It's impossible for the vehicle to use the same rotors for the front and the rear. It doesn't make any sense for the vehicle to use solid rotors in the front.

33.gif

Yes but Lexus has 2 different part numbers as well.
mad.gif
There are 2 seperate part numbers for the shim kits as well

Last edited:

33.gif

mad.gif

I guess I'll just have to wait for your rotor measurements.
27.gif

33.gif

mad.gif

I guess I'll just have to wait for your rotor measurements.
27.gif

I think what I'll do is take a trip to the dealer and have them open up one of each and see what the sizes really are. We know the Japan build is 12.56" Well just went out and eyeballed it with a tape measure and it definitely NOT 12.56 (wife thinks I'm nuts
crazy2.gif
) it is just about 12"
frown.gif

Last edited:
PT1,
Im currently using the Akebono Ceramics Pads(F&R) along with Brembo Rotors(F&R) on our 01 RX-300. I purchaced everything from thetirerack. The total cost was a little less(although not much) after shipping than rockauto. I love them. Smooth and quiet with great initial bite and very smooth progressive slow downs even prior to the ABS kicking in. I installed them last April so the vehicle has now been driven in all types of weather here in Upstate NY. Very little light colored dusting on the wheels that comes clean quickly and the brake peddle feels even better than the OE or even the Satisfied Brand Ceramics(also from thetirerack), that I used prior to the Akebono Ceramics. What I mean is, the brake peddal doesn't have that typical Toyota/Lexus squishy brake peddal feel that is often felt in so many (not all) of their cars. But, the peddal still has a fine luxury feel to it. No squeel or noises of any kind but, I did the instalation my self as I don't let anyone touch my brakes. I couldn't pay anyone enough money to do the thorough job that I do. From cleaning the crud from the anti-rattle clips, to lubing the sliders to properly lubing the back of the pads and making any small adjustments(if needed) to bleeding/flush the whole system and getting new brake fluid through the even the ABS modulator/actuator. I bleed/flush everything in the proper sequence.

To be honest I did this brake job on my mom's car last night. Keep in mind this is only the second time I've EVER replaced brake pads in my entire life. The hardest part was figuring out how to jack the car up with scissor stands. To make it simple, I used the floor jack that comes with the 330, then used a scissor jack behind the wheel, and then used 2 jack stands up front on the frame in the radiator area. I got it done, though and all is well, and the pad job itself was VERY easy, and yes I reused everything but the pads, lol.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
PT1,
Im currently using the Akebono Ceramics Pads(F&R) along with Brembo Rotors(F&R) on our 01 RX-300. I purchaced everything from thetirerack. The total cost was a little less(although not much) after shipping than rockauto. I love them. Smooth and quiet with great initial bite and very smooth progressive slow downs even prior to the ABS kicking in. I installed them last April so the vehicle has now been driven in all types of weather here in Upstate NY. Very little light colored dusting on the wheels that comes clean quickly and the brake peddle feels even better than the OE or even the Satisfied Brand Ceramics(also from thetirerack), that I used prior to the Akebono Ceramics. What I mean is, the brake peddal doesn't have that typical Toyota/Lexus squishy brake peddal feel that is often felt in so many (not all) of their cars. But, the peddal still has a fine luxury feel to it. No squeel or noises of any kind but, I did the instalation my self as I don't let anyone touch my brakes. I couldn't pay anyone enough money to do the thorough job that I do. From cleaning the crud from the anti-rattle clips, to lubing the sliders to properly lubing the back of the pads and making any small adjustments(if needed) to bleeding/flush the whole system and getting new brake fluid through the even the ABS modulator/actuator. I bleed/flush everything in the proper sequence.

Brembo has not released the front rortrs for the 330 into aftermarket yet. SO tire rack was not an option.
frown.gif
What is the sequence for the bleed? How did you bleed the abs pump? FWIW I got the raybestos rotors and ceramic pads and my local parts guy matched the rockauto price. What lube do you use for the back of the pads? I have a really good indy wrench for my Toyota & Honda vehicles but he is on the other side of town. So I have decided to add brake jobs to my service capabilities because now thanks to Santa I have 2 new floor jacks and a 160lb compressor with a 33 gallon tank and 1/2 & 3/8 impact drivers
grin2.gif
so the job should go real easy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
To be honest I did this brake job on my mom's car last night. Keep in mind this is only the second time I've EVER replaced brake pads in my entire life. The hardest part was figuring out how to jack the car up with scissor stands. To make it simple, I used the floor jack that comes with the 330, then used a scissor jack behind the wheel, and then used 2 jack stands up front on the frame in the radiator area. I got it done, though and all is well, and the pad job itself was VERY easy, and yes I reused everything but the pads, lol.

Congrats, that's what this forum is about!

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider

You need to get a good tool catalog and post it where everyone can see it about 3 months before Christmas with the tools you want outlined in sharpie marker.....no more socks & fish ties for me.......
wink.gif

Brembo has not released the front rortrs for the 330 into aftermarket yet. SO tire rack was not an option.
frown.gif
What is the sequence for the bleed? How did you bleed the abs pump? FWIW I got the raybestos rotors and ceramic pads and my local parts guy matched the rockauto price. What lube do you use for the back of the pads? I have a really good indy wrench for my Toyota & Honda vehicles but he is on the other side of town. So I have decided to add brake jobs to my service capabilities because now thanks to Santa I have 2 new floor jacks and a 160lb compressor with a 33 gallon tank and 1/2 & 3/8 impact drivers
grin2.gif

Which model rotors and pads were you able to buy? Did you get the Advanced Technology Ceramic pads (Part # begins with ATD) or did purchase the Quiet Stop (Part # is PGDXXXXQS)

You can use Permatex synthetic caliper grease or their ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant.

frown.gif
grin2.gif

Which model rotors and pads were you able to buy? Did you get the Advanced Technology Ceramic pads (Part # begins with ATD) or did purchase the Quiet Stop (Part # is PGDXXXXQS)

I got the ATD pads and the regular old style rotors because they don't have the ATD rotors for the front ones yet. Or if they do the parts guy could'nt find a part number for them.(I did ask) The front Canadian build ones from Raybestos are a special order item and it will take a week to get them.

I got the ATD pads and the regular old style rotors because they don't have the ATD rotors for the front ones yet. Or if they do the parts guy could'nt find a part number for them.(I did ask) The front Canadian build ones from Raybestos are a special order item and it will take a week to get them.

I see. The Affina catalog already lists the sub-brand as "ADV," so maybe that is Advanced Technology style rotor already? Don't know.

So you're going with the larger vented rotors for the front, and the smaller solid rotors for the rear?

Do you think you can post a picture of that ATD pad? I'm curious if they use the detachable style shim for those pads. I noticed that on much of the ATD line-up, they switched from the riveted shim to a clip type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back