What's the best "off brand" all season tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a good cheap all season passenger car tire for a Grand Caravan? I know the major tire manufacturers also have their own cheaper off brand tire lines, any recommendations?

Buy a set of kumho all seasons from the internet.

They are dirt cheap and will work FINE in your application.

They are a better tire than the douglas walmart brand and cost less.

Depends on how off brand you want to get. The major tire mfrs have factories all over the world churning out tires. Not all of them are good. And sometimes you can get a good name brand tire for about the same price as the off brand.

Good quality second tier brands are Toyo, Sumitomo, Falken, Kumho, Hankook, Cooper, Kelly Springfield and probably several others I can't recall.

National tire chains sell their own in-house brand of tires, typically produced in plants owned by the majors. Are they any good? Who knows.

Consider buying your off brand tires from a retailer who will take care of you if there's a problem. Finding a Michelin dealer is easy. Can't say that for the others.

Kelly is off brand good year. Not a big fan of Coopers either.

Good Year integrity is an excellent cheap tire we put on a lot of peoples cars. Sumitomo is affiliated with Goodyear, as is Dunlop, another good brand.

Uniroyal Tiger Paw is another good tire, available at a michelin dealer. Michelin Dealers will usually carry an off brand called Trivant Warrior, which are apparantly Private label michelins in the ball park for 50$ a pop. Nothing spectacular but OK for the money. I would honestly just throw on a set of integrity's though.

Jim

I'm seriously considering the Toyo Versado LX for our minivan.

My Falken 912s for my Passat are great and only cost $70 a piece through discounttire direct for 235-45-17s. But I'm not expecting a lot of life out of them.

TBC is a company you probably never heard of but they make dozens of private label tires.

Their cheap tires wear like cheap tires but give good traction and ride quality.

I would avoid any cheap tire with an 80k warranty, too hard a rubber compound.

Looks like I found a dealer near you:

LES SCHWAB TIRE CENTER #317
160 SE. BISHOP BOULEVARD
PULLMAN, WA 99163
509-334-1835/ FAX# 509-334-6056

Dayton Quadras are also good "ordinary tires".

I believe the gy integrity is oem on those DMC minivans. GREAT mpg, vague in the corners and not great hydroplaning. BUT, they achieved 25 mpg hwy (65mph) which dropped to 21-22 with new Turanzas (bridgestone).

It's a safe buy for a conservatively-driven vehicle.

Actually the goodyear integrity tires that came on our van have not really impressed me at all, the wet/light snow traction has been a disappointment to say the least, we do have dedicated snow tires for the winter, there is no way I would trust the good year integrity tires in any measurable amount of snow, I have gotten 40,000 miles out of the good year integrity tires but I wouldn't buy another set.

I have a set of TBC Multi-Mile Grand Tour SLi tires on my car right now.

I would say they are better than the Firestones they replaced in every aspect except hydroplaning resistance. First day I was on the road with them I noticed they just did not cut through water.

They are only T-rated tires, previous tires were H-rated, and these are 620 for treadwear instead of a 460, if I remember right. It's not as high rated in any category on UTQG except wear.

They are quiet, offer consistent dry grip, I have no idea what they are like in snow (have a set of WS-50 Blizzaks for November to April), and for the 40% price drop over a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/As made them alright although they don't perform quite up to that level. If I knew a little better at the time I would have got a set of Kumho Solus KH16s. Good for everything except winter performance and I have a set of winter tires mounted to their own rims for that.

Reading all of these complaints about the snow traction of any tire on Tire Rack makes me think these people have no clue how to drive in winter.

I put the Kumho Solus KH16's on our Saturn LW300. They are H rated tires. Outstanding tire and half the price of an equivalent Michelin. It's interesting to note that the tread design is almost identical to some Michelin tires. By the way, Kumho is not an off brand private label tire.

The Goodyear American Eagle (also available in H rated) at Wally World did well for me and my old 1993 Corolla. May want to see if it's available in your size.

We have a caravan that came with the integrity's.We live in Florida with alot of rain and wet roads and they were all over the place.Slightly moist road and we could sit and spin the drive wheels.Not the tire I'd choose to carry my kids.imho Tirerack.com actually tests the tires and has customer feedback on different tires on different model of vehicles..You could go there and pick out tires from all catagories especially the attributes that are most important to you.Other than that it's a shot on the dark because car models differ and a tire might be great on one model and so so on another.

I have Douglas 195/70/14 on my cavalier now and if can afford it will get Firestone FR380s in their place. I rotated the tires like GM said in the owners manual and now the tires are egg shaped and rumble something fierce. Never again will I X formation rotate. I'll just rotate front to back.

Originally Posted By: kartracer55
Michelin Dealers will usually carry an off brand called Trivant Warrior, which are apparantly Private label michelins in the ball park for 50$ a pop. Nothing spectacular but OK for the money. I would honestly just throw on a set of integrity's though.

Jim

I remember Warrior, I recognized its trend pattern to be the same as the Wynstar Phaser R23 that I used to use. They were the better quality Chinese tires that the company was bought out by Michelins. I love that it only costed me $60 each mounted, and has decent T rated handling.

I have Integrities on my Corolla and haven't used them long enough to form an opinion. If you google Integrity reviews or go to Tire rack, folks seem to think these tires are one of the worst made. Dangerous wet handling seems to be the knock on these from what I have read. I'll try em' out next winter and see for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back