Looking for a new MTB

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I suggest a kayak?
05.gif

With those 2 choices I say the Diamondback. My 2001 Outlook is about 7 years old and after all that rough trail riding still works great.

I saw a few Jamis bikes and really like them. Looks very well built and price should be within your range. I like the Jamis Durango series, you might check it out.

Gee thanks. Now I want one bad, need front suspension, disc brakes....my other one has no suspension and....oh never mind.

I like DB, but don't know Fisher. So I guess we are in the same kayak. So to speak.

You might also take a look at the Specialized offerings. HardRock & RockHopper, although apparently, they are only 8 speed instead of 9.

The Fisher Marlin proved darn near bulletproof many years ago. A buddy of mine had one and he abused the heckout fof it and it never let him down. Just my .02.

You're right, I had a girlfriend some few years ago who bought herself a Marlin and it served her well.
I do like it, which is why it's on my short list.
But I really liked my '99 DB Zetech Comp-wish I still had it, and I do like Diamondback bikes, at least the mid to more expensive ones.
This Response Comp has what I think are better derailleurs (SRAM vs. Deore), I like the fork better than what's on the Fish, and it's wheelbase is shorter. That may or may not be a good thing.
And I like the frame. Maybe Wayne will comment about wheelbase on mountain bikes. I know my 19" Moab was pretty short-coupled and it was very quick and agile, though I did feel like my face was pretty close to the front tire sometimes. The Zetech was longer and felt less squirrely, but not as quick.
But I still like the Marlin, good thing I have a couple of months to decide.

Marin. You are on the door step in pricing at 700(800 would be better) to get a really nice bike. Buy the best frame and fork you can when looking at bikes. Nine speed would be great but Riding a eight speed versus shopping is better. Buying a better rear Derailluers, shifters and cassete does not have to break the bank after a year or two of riding.

gary fisher would be the better bike out of the two choices.

I have a gary fisher Sugar 1 dual suspension and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back