Oil for Saab 900???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Im looking to change the oil on my sisters old Saab 900. 1992 w/ 167k on the clock. What viscosity do you all reccomend? This car will be driven in Massachusetts and New Hampshire all winter. I'm not looking for synthetic, just a decent Dino that meets specs, as this car likely doesnt have many miles left in her anyway.

I pushed a pair of Saab 900 to 200,000 miles, one turbo, one non. I bought them both at 100k on the clock, and always ran them on Mobile1 5w30.

Here is my advice: if it has always been on dino, KEEP it on dino, I don't care what anyone else says. If it only had 100k on the clock, I'd say sure, switch to synth, as you can usually get the front seal replaced for about $100 which is not a big deal. But don't switch with 167k miles, there's no point anymore. That car I'm sure has so many other PITA little problems, it's starting to be a burden.

Both times I switched to synth, it *immediately* the car would start SPEWING oil all over the place, necessitating "front" seal replacement (which is against the firewall, since the 900 motor is spun 180 degrees.

The Saab motor is just one of those that is prone to having crud keeping the oil in, rather than neoprene.

Even though I always changed the synthetic oil at 3,000 miles, and the motors were in pretty good shape to start with, by 200,000 miles, both engines were *very* tired, and the turbo motor had lots of connecting rod bearing noise.

The original 900 was quite amazing in its time. Its time has passed.

If it were my car, I'd just throw a light Castrol dino into it like 10w30 and a non-fram oil filter and forget about it... and I'd be pricing Hondas!

It just doesn't matter. It's a rugged engine with no particular weaknesses (the later GM 9OOs have sludge prob but not the pre-94s). I'm in central NH and have run a couple 900s to just short of 300K on 10-30 Pennzoil without ever having to open the engines.

The local Saab dealer puts 5-30 semi-syn in everything. I'm using 10-30 in our current 130K 900 but will probably try the new $1.42 semi-syn Motorcraft 5-30 in for the winter, for easier starting. I wouldn't suggest switching to a full synthetic at that mileage, though.

quote:

Originally posted by xwhaler:

this car likely doesnt have many miles left in her anyway.

You may be correct then again some motors have 9 lives .

My choice would be the Mobil Drive Clean High Mileage Synthetic Blend at regular dino HM oil price .

20W-50 in summer -- you will love how smooth and quiet it will run. 10W-40 or 10W-50 in winter.

SAAB issued a TSB about using 20W-50 in these engines when temperature is above 15'F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back