Best oil for a '08 250HP Mercury Verado(Outboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope im in the right forum. I have twin '05 250HP Mercury Verado's and was in need of some different oil. It says to use 25W-40/25W-50. When I changed my oil last month it took awhile for all the oil to drain(THICK) I was just thinking about how thick it is on COLD start up
15.gif
. Massive Dry Start, and Mercry is recommending this. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
There's a different forum on this site for powersports type stuff, one of the mods will probably stick this there.

The reason it is so thick is because it has to withstand a lot of high temperature abuse, marine engines are just brutal on oil because you basically keep it wound up to full stick all the time, and there are concerns about the oil shearing down too much at temperature so it doesn't have enough hot protection.

I use Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil and my 140HP 4-stroke Outboard absolutely loves it!! Been running it 3 years now and will never switch back.
thumbsup2.gif

Please read: http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/article_2002_outboard_motors.aspx

Snip: "AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Cycle Oils and Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil are formulated to withstand the harsh operating conditions faced by modern outboard motors. Formulated with superior synthetic base stocks and advanced additive packages, AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Cycle and 4-Cycle Oils provide the ultimate in protection and performance, keeping friction, heat and wear to an absolute minimum, while preventing problems such as oil dilution and rust."

Then look at: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/wcf.aspx

Get a ahold of Pablo on this site to get some & he'll take good care of ya...

Done me a search on the Mercury website.

Looks to me like 10w-30 or 10w-40 would work. They do however recommendation 25w-40, and state that multi-viscosity oils or oils with solid additives are not recommended. Why would Mercury state that Multi-vicosity oils are not recommended but then turn right around and recommend 25w-40?

I belong to a boating forum one of the other members is a Verado Guru, to the best of my memory he is running Mobil 1 but I don't remember the weight, but I am sure it is not 25w-40.

I have a Yamaha F-115, I run 10w-30, but it is not supercharged like the Verado.

I am sending you the link to the website via PM. Do a search there.

FordSVT:

From the Amsoil site:

Excellent Anti-Rust Performance
Marine engines are prone to rust, leading to uncontrolled wear and premature engine failure. However, good rust protection is not natural to engine oil. It comes only by design. Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil is fortified with a special anti-rust agent, even more than required to pass stringent NMMA FC-W anti-rust testing.

Applications
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic 10W-40 Motor Oil (WCF) is recommended for gasoline fueled four-stroke outboard, inboard, inboard/outboard (I/O) and personal watercraft motors. AMSOIL WCF motor oil is recommended for the following applications whenever an SAE 10W-40, 15W-40, 25W-40 or straight SAE 40 oil is called for:

"Note: AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic 10W-40 is recommended for use in place of 25W-40 as specified by Mercury®."

There ya go......!

Originally Posted By: FordSVT
Hope im in the right forum. I have twin '05 250HP Mercury Verado's and was in need of some different oil. It says to use 25W-40/25W-50. When I changed my oil last month it took awhile for all the oil to drain(THICK) I was just thinking about how thick it is on COLD start up
15.gif
With all due respect you don't have a clue about the oil .Use Merc recommended oil. The Amsoil 15w/40 would be great.Engines run under high loads ,thicker is better.

Originally Posted By: twentynine

Looks to me like 10w-30 or 10w-40 would work. They do however recommendation 25w-40, and state that multi-viscosity oils or oils with solid additives are not recommended. Why would Mercury state that Multi-vicosity oils are not recommended but then turn right around and recommend 25w-40?

I belong to a boating forum one of the other members is a Verado Guru, to the best of my memory he is running Mobil 1 but I don't remember the weight, but I am sure it is not 25w-40.

I have a Yamaha F-115, I run 10w-30, but it is not supercharged like the Verado.

Yes I know who you are talking about. Glen, He runs Mobil 10W-30.

Supposedly the merc oil doesn't have viscosity improvers.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

Supposedly the merc oil doesn't have viscosity improvers.

That is correct making it like a SAE40 with multivis capability. Much like Amsoil's SAE30/10w-30 ACD and ASE.

FordSVT,

You probably better off with Amsoil's 4-Stroke Outboard Oil that is made specifically for your application as was posted for you.

Check out the testing and comparisons. You asked for the "Best oil" and it is the best oil.

I would run if the choice is Amsoil the 15w/40 Diesel Marine oil with out a second thought, it is well proven and the uoas I have seen show real good as can be wear numbers ,as good or better thqan Amsoils higher priced offerings. No viscosity improvers. And the price is right on ,a super value for what you get..

I have had several boats over the years and rust has not been a problem. In fact most commercial operaters who run automotive type engines whether gas or diesel use a HDEO.I used to do road calls to service the equipment on the docks on occasion .S.F.bay area .So I see what thye used in the boats. Just last October I was at the Coast Guard Base at S.F Yerba Buena island and they use HDEO in their boats.

15.gif
Was the oil hot when you drained it? Massive dry start ?doubt it.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
15.gif
Was the oil hot when you drained it? Massive dry start ?doubt it.

It was 102* when I pumped/Drained(1/2&1/2)....I think im used to teh 5W-30 I use in my truck.

I hear alot of good things about the AMSOIL 10W-40. Anybody else wants to chime in? I need some info. so I can sleep good tonite..lol

I hear alot of good things about the AMSOIL 10W-40. Anybody else wants to chime in? I need some info. so I can sleep good tonite..lol

You hear a lot about it, because it's a good marine oil. It doesn't shear, yet has the cold start protection you are looking for. It has a great anti-rust package along with the strong anti-wear pack. I provided a link above with the properties and more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back