Problematic 2.5 L- QR25DE Nissan engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"sigh of relief" as I read your response Al, thanks, my Altima is a 03, I hope Nissan did a proper engineering fix in 03.

Cyprs

The qr25de is a great engine. The motor itself never really had a problem but the faulty cat design still destroyed the engines. If you had the problem you would have very high oil consumption and the motor would have probably gone a long time ago.

I live in Canada, I own this 2.5L engine in a 03 Altima with 20K kms on it. In consideration of Nissan America doing 1000's of recalls on this engine due to the following quote, where is Nissan Canada on this issue, they have to know about this problem.

Here is an interesting quote from Drive it Forever from another topic on oil levels on an Altima 2.5L:

"Yes the oil can drop that quickly. Find out if the recall was done on this car for the engine computer remapping. This engine model has had a huge recall by Nissan for the catalytic converter breaking apart and the pieces of it being sucked back into the engine by means of reversion. The cat (converter) is right off the cylinder head almost, when you let off on the gas you get high vacuum in which some of the exhaust gasses go back into the engine, more typical on manual transmission cars because of the driving nature. I went through 2 engines on my sentra ser specv. The cat (converter) junk scores up the cylinder walls and can cause big time oil consumption. On my 1st engine I took it in because it used oil, the dealer changed it and said come back after 500 miles we will check the level, dont add oil. About 200 miles into the test I threw a connecting rod and when I checked the oil, the stick was bone dry. Some Nissan 2.5's even after the recall have had this problem."
Drive it Forever.

Anyone owning an Altima 2.5L or this engine in another Nissan either past warrantee period or in it as I am now, may want to Contact Nissan Canada, I am going to.

Any other Canadian or American 2.5L Nissan engine owners, Nissan reps or mechanics etc. have more info on this problematic engine, Nissan Americas' callbacks and Nissan Canada's suspicious silence up here?

Cyprs

I have nearly 28,000 miles on my QR25DE ('03 SpecV) and no problems to date. Car uses ZERO oil between 5,000 mile oil changes and hasn't given me any trouble.

Try searching this forum using the key words "Altima," "Specv," and/or "QR25DE." I and others have posted numerous UOAs (used oil analyses) from this engine.

--- Bror Jace

I have 48000km on my Spec-V and also uses no oil between changes. I am however hoping it swollows a butterfly screw so I can get a new engine from Nissan. This is another flaw in our 2.5L. Now using GC 0w30.
canada.gif

Start with more frequent oil level topping off. Keep that quart in the trunk and top off that oil at every fillup.
I'm betting that low oil level will accelerate the so called problems.

Practive more frequent OCI's using a quality synthetic and name brand filters.

Considering a not so legal aftermarket header without the catalytic.

The supplier issues were supposedly solved for '03. Having worked for a automotive supplier, I'd say the improvements tend to be continuous.

If you don't have any problems, don't worry about it.

If you do, exercise the warranty.

Thanks all,

unDummy, I do 3000 mile OCIs, I used my own 50/50 semi syn blend and now us 0-30 XD3 full syn. I have a bit of consumption in oil and noticed some minute metal filings in last O.C.. I still dont rule out break in as cause. I am getting 41 miles Canadian gallon, engine sounds great too. I am gently breaking this engine in, hope not to have to break in another with warrantee replacement. I will check out past posts on this Altima and 2.5 Litre, I really hope the 03 engines are vastly improved.

thanks,
Cyprs

Forgot one point, I was topping up, but, I was finding myself overfilling because of inconsistant oil checking I seem to have on this engine. Since I have kept the oil down about 3/16 inch from full mark on cold check I no longer get oil on my airfilter, I attributed that to overfill on oil on topping up, I hope that oil on air filter was not from cylinder wall damage with oil getting past rings due to cat converter? I guess it is wait and see and hope for best.

I top up other vehicles I own with no problem, this one makes me nervous all the time.

thanks,
Cyprs

"I was topping up but I was finding myself over-filling because of the inconsistent oil checking I seem to have with this engine."

Yes, I've noticed that too.

Twice my car tricked me into adding a 1/4 quart of oil then over-filling it.
frown.gif

--- Bror Jace

Thanks Bror Jace, I was down to just over half way hash marks on dipstick on oil level last night, I only put in a cautious 100 millilitres or 3 ounces just to be safe in not overfilling, I will check again in day or two and sneak a little more in if it is still bit low. I learn to be very cautious with this oil level too. I use cold method to check oil, do you use hot or cold oil check method?

This is a great engne but finicky, thanks,

Cyprs

I have heard that even some of thr early 2003's have this problem. Mydads 2003 altima was in fact manufactured in October or November of 2002 so it probably has the problem. Will find out if the recall was done on it next week. But the engine has consumed about 0.3-0.5 Litre of oil in 4000 km (2500 mi) and with open hood and ear close to the engine you can hear a slight diesel sound ( heard that a lot of engines with variable timing sound like this) it is more audible when you're inside. Has any one else noticed this engine sound?
Should I be concerned obout this oil consumption the car has 62000 km (40,000 mi) and the oil is 10W-30 Pennzoil dino.

Cypres, I try to check it when cold and sitting as level as possible. I'm not sure why the level seems to change back and forth. Might be an uneven ground thing.
dunno.gif

Ordinarily, I'd be wary of over-filling ... but the QR25DE balance shafts already churn in the oil. If the level was another 1/8" - 1/4" higher, I'm not sure this would matter much.
dunno.gif

Dominik, I think what you are hearing are the injectors. They are quite noisy.
rolleyes.gif

Consumption tends to vary from example to example. I babied this thing with low revs and many oil changes when it was brand new. Pennzoil 10W-30 should be a good choice for this motor.

Oil in the filter could be a sign of either over-filling or blow-by (scored walls/rings). Be careful about over-filling it and monitor this carefully. Also consider getting a compression test to check for variations in the cylinders.

Now I need to go back to my unfinished oil change now ...
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

start by using a VERY good syn oil-period!! at the least, use a GOOD diesel 15w-40. Yes, this engine's oil pump will do fine with it i assure you. i use to work as a nissan tech (now in law enforcement as a CSI) and replaced my share of these crappy designed engines. Well....the engines arent the problem, the software and exhaust system is.

anyways, i would use like GC 0w-30 or M1 0w-40. However, i should note that we only replaced ONE engine from an SE-R SpecV and the rest were altimas. We also replaced more engines at my dealer in gwinnett co. ga than any other in our district/south east according to nissan. we were VERY anal about what to look for and on behalf of the customer sometimes even 'fudged' our findings. not illegally of course but, nissan wanted 3 seperate findings before an engine could be warratnied and we tried hard to have it warrantied if we found say just high oil consumption. to us and our master techs, this was more than enough to signal a dying motor as this along with metal flakes in the oil were the original things to look for by nissan.

eventually, it became these ALONG with a hole thru the cat. I dont mean, a crater (which we always used as a definitive judgement of an engine needing replacement, esp. if it had high oil consumption.) or hole half way thru the cat honeycomb. no, they wanted it ALL THE WAY THRU!! along w/ low oil/high consumption AND metal/cat material in the oil. Eventually the problem got so bad that nissan got more strict and said that unless there was a hole all the way thru the cat, no engine replacement. bad for the customer.

IMHO, if there was cat material in the oil and the oil was low on an engine or, there was a crater or deformity in the catalytic converter, that was enough. after seeing nissan at work, never again will i buy there product(s) as most are now designed here in america and nissan usa marketing/warranty/penny pinchers are the people that are at fault for this.

anyways, sorry for the length hop[e its informative. also, if you switch to say M1 0w-40 and still have consumption of around a quart every 1Kmi then be suspicious. they did however, "fix" the problem in 03'. But some models were still affected. if your car was built in late summer early fall of 02 and sold as an 03', then you may have a problem down the road.

good luck mate(s)!

I have a Spec-V with 33,000 miles and NO oil consumption. I have also tested the compression about 1000 miles ago and got 178 to 180 on all four cylinders. I swapped out the stock header for an aftermarket w/out cat early in its life. I have also removed the balance shaft which increases sump capacity to nearly 6 qts. and decreases the wear on the oil. I have NO DOUBTS at all that this engine with these mods will last well over 200,000 miles.

Cyprs, looks like Nissan knows about the recall I just made an appointmet for regular service and as soon as I mentioned the "computer remaping" recall the service manager aked me if I can leave the car for most of the day. "It is about 75 pages I have to go trough" he said. My concern is that even after re-maping the engines computer the damage done to the catlytic converter may just show up later. If it was not for emissions in Ontatio I would just cut the thing out. I wonder if this cylinder scoring is gradual or a pretty sharp increase in oil consumption.
Hmmmm....Japanese cars more legend than truth

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/recall_e.asp?recno=10767&

I have a 04 frontier with the 2.4 and it hasent used any oil yet, it has 10k on it. Been running castrol dino 5w30 the last 2 changes. Will switch to M1 10w30/15w50 mix at 11k. I had a 97 hardbody with the sohc version of this engine and it never burned any oil in the 150k i had it before it got totaled.

Cyprs, looks like Nissan knows about the recall I just made an appointmet for regular service and as soon as I mentioned the "computer remaping" recall the service manager aked me if I can leave the car for most of the day. "It is about 75 pages I have to go trough" he said. My concern is that even after re-maping the engines computer the damage done to the catlytic converter may just show up later. If it was not for emissions in Ontatio I would just cut the thing out. I wonder if this cylinder scoring is gradual or a pretty sharp increase in oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back