Castrol R4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a few liters of Castrol R4 moto oil, 5w40, the other day. It intrigued me; bottle says "Made in Italy" It is supposed to be fully synthetic and for all 4-cycle motorcycles.

Anyone know any more about this oil? Anyone ever run it? Who in Italy would be blending this for BP?

Thanks,
Chris

I ran that oil for about 30,000 miles in one of my motors, its an extremely light weight 5w40, almost a 30 weight.

it is the real stuff as far as synthetic, super heat tolerant, but I think it would be better in the europeon 10w50 grade not available in the U.S.

Last edited:
Thanks, good to know it worked well for you for so long. I was planning on running this year-round; I try not to be afraid of thin oils in an air cooled engine, but I can't quite get used to it. I will try it, that's why I bought it. Full synthetic makes me feel it will do fine.

Thanks again, peace of mind is a good thing.

the voa of Pennzoil platinum doesnt look to impressive but yet it continues to show great results and wear rates are good.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
the voa of Pennzoil platinum doesnt look to impressive but yet it continues to show great results and wear rates are good.
21.gif

Good point...I wonder if perhaps the base oil quality is so much bettter than the SG rated oils that it offsets the phos and zinc levels.

Are you talking about uoa's of motorcycles using pennzoil platinum ?
I use it in my wife's car and I've been very impressed with it.

yes, just auto's but there is a thread in here asking about using PP in a bike. I would assume as long as it it the 10w40 or 20w50 it would be ok

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back