Another look at the new PUREONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had some time and a Oil change coming up and picked up a new Pureone PL14610 for my 04 STi, its the oversized filter for my application.

Below are the best pictures I could take with my Nikon. If anyone has an special request please do your best to describe what you are looking for and i'll snap a picture.

Outside of the pictures there is deff gold freckles on the ring, seal, and threads of the filter. Also after I ran my finger over the threads it had black grease in the threads which you can hopefully see.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Last edited:
For the record, I will NOT be using this filter. Im going to Napa tomorrow and getting the equal in Wix Gold.

Grr...scratch that it depends how much of this [censored] I can get off. I like PureONE oil filters...I just gah this is lame. Stupid Purolator.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vspec
For the record, I will NOT be using this filter. Im going to Napa tomorrow and getting the equal in Wix Gold.

Grr...scratch that it depends how much of this [censored] I can get off. I like PureONE oil filters...I just gah this is lame. Stupid Purolator.

Somehow I'm lost with your wording in this thread.

1)Why are you not using Pure Ones?
2)What can't you "get off"?
3)What does "gah" mean?
4)Why is Purolator stupid?

1. Did you not view the pictures? There are gold flecks of paint all in the filter, medium, threads, gasket the entire thing is covered in metal shavings and gold paint. You can visibly see the gold paint worn off on the bottom of the filter.

2. I dont know if I can get it off or not, I love purolator pureones, but I am extremely upset with the new design. Before you had a few metal flakes here and there, but these new filters are COVERED with this [censored].

3. Gah means im upset and confused, "gah" thats that.

4. Purolator is stupid for changing from the blue can to this gold can. I can understand the intended idea of a grip surface and the gold color being a revamp, but it really seems that a rather large portion of the paint and material have escaped into the filter itself.

Perhaps the pictures didnt show this clear enough.

Man, am I glad I bought a dozen of the old school PureOnes off Amazon before this circus act came to town! Now we don't have to worry about contaminating the "clean side" of the filter, they do it for us!

This marketing blunder ought to rank right up there with New Coke.

Thanks for the pics!

REDDOG

Maybe they need to add another picture on the box that says 13 grams=Gold grip material? It is a pretty looking filter on the outside, too bad it is getting the gold junk on the inside. I don't remember seeing the outer material on the Advance Auto filters flaking like that?

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Maybe they need to add another picture on the box that says 13 grams=Gold grip material? It is a pretty looking filter on the outside, too bad it is getting the gold junk on the inside. I don't remember seeing the outer material on the Advance Auto filters flaking like that?

When the AA filter go on sale, I go to at least four Advanced Auto looking for AA4386. Every one I saw came with some red flakes on the bottom, so I passed and didn't buy any...

A picture is worth 1000 words. I'm sitting here looking at 10 of them and everyone is perfect, I guess its hit or miss, or I just got lucky!

Frank D

I will agree I like the Shiny blue cans. I use a filter wrench with a rag and put the filter on, the smooth filter wipes clean and looks nice. The textured filters dont wipe clean and just look grungy. That flaky paint isnt a plus either.

Well I ordered a bunch of purolator pureones over at amazon. Hopefully they will have some blue ones at stock. Nice pics man, it's like I already recieved my order of pureones by looking at the pics, except without that new filter smell.

Last edited by a moderator:
man that sucks, i thought the grippy stuff was just near the top of the filter where you grab it, not the whole dang can. You can see in the excellent pictures it is already starting to rub off.

Thats sucks.

Purolator, please redo the filters with the grippy stuff just on the top please!

All the Wix and Champion based filters I've used have been spotless - hardly any shavings on the threads and the paint is like a sticker - no flaking at all.

I love how it says what's in your oil....."metal shavings" HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The threads on that one don't look nearly as nasty as some of the ones I've had. They looked like a magnet had run over a pile of metal shavings.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
A picture is worth 1000 words. I'm sitting here looking at 10 of them and everyone is perfect, I guess its hit or miss, or I just got lucky!

Frank D

Same here, I have two on the shelf and I just inspected them and they are fine, no paint issues or shavings. Must be luck of the draw.

I'm a big fan of the blue can PureOnes, but if I see anything like that in person it'll be Mobil 1 for the next change. Quality control seems pretty poor!

I wonder if you could blow out those particles with compressed air prior to installation?
I like the pureones as well. I also like their premium plus line too.
I think the AAP total grips are based on the premium plus and not the pureones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back