M1 0W40...GM 6.0L....24,000 miles OMG!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: REDDOG
Cutehumor,

Dexcool would show higher potassium than sodium if there was a coolant leak. I think the engine was sucking dirt through the intake. Being CT, the sodium could be from road salt. The thickening could be from out of control oxidation, accelerated by the TBN waving bye bye a while ago.

How many miles ago do you suppose the Super Tech oil filter went into permanent bypass?

Or maybe the potassium isn't zero and the lab omitted it.

I'd double check with the lab, if it were me.

Anyway you slice it, not good.

REDDOG

The air filter was original,so after 80k that thing looked like a chimney sweep used it for a rag!

now this is my type of dude...2 quarts low on a big engine and 3 oil changes...totally indifferent..and yet if he had sprung for 8 xtra oil changes for 200$, engine would probably be fine...cant be bothered...or even add oil...i bet there wouldve been less damage if he had maintained the oil level

Looks like a good candidate for Amsoil SSO 0w-30. I'd be seriously be up to donating some $$$ to cover the cost of the oil if you are willing to run it and sample it in this application.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Looks like a good candidate for Amsoil SSO 0w-30. I'd be seriously be up to donating some $$$ to cover the cost of the oil if you are willing to run it and sample it in this application.

What would be the criteria you'd want it run,mileage wise??? I know he won't check the level but hey in the interest of science I might consider it.. No money donations needed but thanks,it wouldn't be right.

Give me ideas on what you would like monitored and if we can get some useful info out of it all the better! I know he won't fix the coolant leak if there is one..

I know a guy just like this. He's a small sized concrete contractor. His 3500 Chevy dump truck gets no maintenance. His backhoe gets no maintenance. His bucket "wore" through at the pivot point due to the lack of greasing it. My buddy, who builds his race engines, welded it back together.

There are certain "bad habits" that become a lifestyle to some people. It can be being an obsessive tightwad. I term it obsessive where the gain in material or perceived worth is trumped by the act of squeezing the dollar until it screams. One of my buddy's customers has several vintage cars in very good shape, body wise. He had to rebuild either a 265 or 283 ..yet pondered taking the used drain oil home for lawn mower use. He must have well over $200k of vintage iron at home. The two are divorced. He doesn't have the vintage stuff due to being a tightwad.

One of my buddy's sons destroys every vehicle that he gets his hands on. They're horses to beat until they die. He's an excellent mechanic in terms of ability. Raced with his father who had several cars that were featured in Hot Rod over the years. Yet, he's cracked up more than a few just due to running bald tires on them. He's actually bought lifetime replacement brake pads, and instead of turning the rotors and driving less aggressively, would repeatedly change them out until he destroyed the vehicle in some other manner.

This kid likes to work hard. He must figure that he makes enough with the avoided down time to be this negligent with a vehicle. With $700/month payments, he couldn't have financed it for too long.

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Originally Posted By: The Critic

What would be the criteria you'd want it run,mileage wise??? I know he won't check the level but hey in the interest of science I might consider it.. No money donations needed but thanks,it wouldn't be right.

Give me ideas on what you would like monitored and if we can get some useful info out of it all the better! I know he won't fix the coolant leak if there is one..

I'd just be interested in seeing how well SSO 0w-30 performed under the same set of conditions (and mileage). It'd be a true test for Amsoil's claims.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
Cutehumor,

Dexcool would show higher potassium than sodium if there was a coolant leak. I think the engine was sucking dirt through the intake. Being CT, the sodium could be from road salt. The thickening could be from out of control oxidation, accelerated by the TBN waving bye bye a while ago.

How many miles ago do you suppose the Super Tech oil filter went into permanent bypass?

Or maybe the potassium isn't zero and the lab omitted it.

I'd double check with the lab, if it were me.

Anyway you slice it, not good.

REDDOG

the sample tested positive for antifreeze. From my experience,a coolant leak can be very small, but sodium and potassium be elevated. It's not until an engine has a substantial leak that the oil test positive for antifreeze.

He should at least throw a bottle of BARSLEAKS in the radiator to slow/stop the coolant leak.

You would think by now GM would have hired some engineers who know something about gasketing.

I don't think running Amsoil would be a true test of Amsoil's claims. Engine has a problem.

I don't think there's any coolant leak here since the Potassium is zero, but obviously the engine isn't in great conditions.

Maybe a bottle of Amsoil Engine Flush, followed up with installation of SSO?

I agree there's no coolant here - if, as the original poster says, 'nothings been changed but the oil occassionally', then its got dex-cool in it, and dex-cool has potassioum in it. This is some weird side-effect of abuse...

Personally, I think the SSO, even run under the same circumstances, would show better results...just a hunch I have...mind, you, I'd love to see ANY further reports that come from this engine!

I have been more impressed with Schaeffers line of oils way more than Amsoils offerings,especially when price is factored in. I don't see the worship factor in the oil.The results do not match the hype.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'd love to see how Schaeffer's would do here.
Doubt if any oil will do good. I like the viscosity at 100c

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I have been more impressed with Schaeffers line of oils way more than Amsoils offerings,especially when price is factored in. I don't see the worship factor in the oil.The results do not match the hype.

Really? Schaeffer's is a quality product but I think Amsoil has improved since joining BITOG.

I'd love to see Delvac 1 would hold up under this kind of abuse. I think the M1 0w-40 did an admirable job considering conditions. It looks like the SL version of M1 0w-40 looking a the Z and P. If he actually topped up the wear numbers might have faired a lot better.

There are probably only a few oils that would take this kind of punishment. Amsoil, M1, Schaeffer's and a few Euro-centric oils.

Buster I would hope Amsoil keeps up it product.I am not bashing Amsoil I just do not see the worship factor .Amsoil is a wonderful oil as others are . Look at the uoas.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Viscosity went up a tad.

And they say M1 0W-40 always shears down...
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back