Best Engine Cleaning Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see numerous ones talked about in the forums. Which ones do you like in order of effectiveness, experience from actual use, tests done, etc...

Auto-RX, Rislone, Marvel Mystery Oil, Seafoam ,plain oil changed alot, Synthetic Oil changed alot? Any others?

Last edited:
I rubbed Auto-RX on my knee's and they feel so much better.

I asked one of my friends who attends the SEMA show and he has never heard of the miracle elexir Auto-RX, but i did tell him to put some on his tennis elbow.

This is almost like a Barrack Obama Rally, feeling depressed and suicidal go to one of his rallies and life is all good.

how do the 99.9% of the massed live with out this juice.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: deven
Seafoam for me
What does seafoam do?

Several things depending on usage. Its a decent in-tank fuel treatment and cleaner. Supposedly its also a decent oil flusher though because its a nasty solvent most people say dont use it that way. Its mostly know for its carbon cleaning ability when pulled into the intake system through a vacuum hose.

I've used SeaFoam as an intake decarbonizer for the upper air/fuel system. It seemed to do a queationable job; not much proof as to whether it worked or not. I don't think it did any harm, but it didn't seem to produce any amazing results. I've also used Techron for an intake cleaner, too. Again, I cannot say for sure how it performed, as it's hard to quantify the results.

ARX, on the other hand, has performed FANTASTIC results with the same car, regarding compression restoration. This success story is well documented here in this section (search my user name and "Taurus Vulcan". I'm in the rinse phase right now, and I have nothing but praise for ARX. Here, I can show definitive proof, with tangible evidence.

The reason people praise ARX is because they've used it and seen the results. The only reason I suspect people not being impressed with ARX is because they're skeptical (probably because they've not used it in a situation where they can doccument the results). I cannot fathom anyone who would use ARX, properly doccumenting the before/after relationships, and not be impressed.

I too was skeptical until I tried ARX. I did a decent job controlling the experiment, as much as any other testimonial I've read. I am now a convert.

Last edited:
What about Amsoil engine flush?

I am a little concerned as 40% of it is Kerosene and I have heard that may not be good if it breaks off big chunks of crud.

Think this came from dnewton3 ? I would like to think some of bitog can relate and work with the only approved application instructions for Auto-Rx.

We have no way of assessing the level of deposits in your engine. Many engine, that appear relatively clean (varnish, etc.) may produce excellent results with a one bottle, one time, treatment. Others, with visible accumulations/formations, may require second and even third treatments to be completely cleaned. Surface formations tend to fall into two categories. Pudding-like and tar-like. The gelled formations typically represent a substantial mass and, although more easily displaced, are of such physical volume that they can quickly saturate the host oil's capacity of suspension and load the filter in a very short span of miles. The typical oil filter has around 10 grams of holding capacity. This type of sludge can be many times that amount. Tar like deposits, being more resistant to disintegration, tend to require longer spans for removal. The gel-like fouled engine would benefit from more frequent filter changes while the tar-like engine may not. The application instructions are configured to make the best outcome under most circumstances encountered.

If you take care of your engine, I don't see the need for any additive. I just run Amsoil oil and EaO filter and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: XPR
If you take care of your engine, I don't see the need for any additive. I just run Amsoil oil and EaO filter and be done with it.

Maybe you should read more about it. Even properly maintained vehicles with synthetic oils have shown improvements after using AutoRX. Oils don't keep engines perfectly clean. They just don't.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: XPR

Maybe you should read more about it. Even properly maintained vehicles with synthetic oils have shown improvements after using AutoRX. Oils don't keep engines perfectly clean. They just don't.

I have read plenty about it here and on the AutoRX website.

Mr. XRP,

I don't think anyone would argue with your choice of oil and filter. But what is that you have read here or at ARX that makes you think that ARX could not help you in cleansing your motor and possibly finding a bit more performance or longevity?

Take some time to read my experience with ARX, please.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1083082

I had NO IDEA there was anything wrong with my engine. There were no drivability issues to speak of. Oil consumption was about 1 qt per 5k miles, but I just considered that "normal". I took off the valve cover and the engine was spotless inside. At the request of GA, I did a compression test. Wow - I had issues to say the least.

After one experiment of ARX, the results were awesome!

I am truly a convert to ARX, and nothing I've tried ever equaled the kind of performance it put forth. Period.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back