M1 0W40...GM 6.0L....24,000 miles OMG!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 24k miles, you can divide up the results by 5, and get a "5k mile OCI" average on some of the metals, to get an "average" accumulation for what we would consider a reasonable OCI. Still, even that throws some of these sky high on a "per mile" basis.

I don't think this is an indictment of long OCI's; rather, it's an clear indication that NO maintenance is a bad thing. Extended drain intervals with UOA's would have caught this problem (whatever it's root cause is) long ago. Don't blame extended OCI's for problems resulting from lack of maintenance.

Somewhere between this example, and the OCD 3k mile OCI, lies the sensible reality!

Last edited:
This wasn't an attempt at an extended oci,just negligence..

He is a self employed HVAC/Fitter?Plumber.

His wife(my niece) is just as bad as he. She has a 2 year old van bought brand new and well I don't think any maintenance has been done to that..She doesn't like me very much and well the feeling is mutual..

QS 10w30 is whats in now,synthetic.

It's his truck and money, why even worry about it? His behavior isn't harming anyone, just a piece of inanimate piece of machinery that isn't important to him.

I'm suprised you went 'down' to 10W-30 for the next oil, when the engine is clearly showing signs of severe wear that would dictate a thicker oil to combat engine knock and 'cushion' what is left. Also, if the engine consumes a thinner viscosity quicker...

This also has to be the first time, for me at least, that I have seen a high-end, A3-rated, long-life syn get its bell rung by neglect. We've seen some 'not so great' results from over-extending OCI's but they are usually still within the parameters of 'OK'...but not here.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm suprised you went 'down' to 10W-30 for the next oil, when the engine is clearly showing signs of severe wear that would dictate a thicker oil to combat engine knock and 'cushion' what is left. Also, if the engine consumes a thinner viscosity quicker...

This also has to be the first time, for me at least, that I have seen a high-end, A3-rated, long-life syn get its bell rung by neglect. We've seen some 'not so great' results from over-extending OCI's but they are usually still within the parameters of 'OK'...but not here.

It got 10w30 because it's what I had. If I had 5w20 it would have gotten that. I tried helping him from the get go but if he doesn't care well then I'm not gonna go crazy and try and do right...

OTOH,my BIL bought a 07 DMax and by 3k I had him bring it over and we did a complete front to back oil change,all synthetic,mostly on my dime... I'm here to help for the family,it's just wether you take me up on it...
cool.gif

Your nephew doesn't deserve your generosity...I really, really hope it doesn't come back to bite you...truck fails and he blames you...that would make ALL of us see red here!!!

BTW, I had suspected thats why you used the 10W-30 QS, its what you had on hand.....

Originally Posted By: buster
WOW. This is the danger you run when trying to do extended drains. Obviously there is a coolant leak and it destroyed this oil. Take the truck in asap with this analysis.
I almost expect to see a coolant leak in G.M.products.

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
It's his truck and money, why even worry about it? His behavior isn't harming anyone, just a piece of inanimate piece of machinery that isn't important to him.

It isn't hurting anyone until he realizes its breaking down and sells it to some unsuspecting person.

Originally Posted By: Bambam

It got 10w30 because it's what I had. If I had 5w20 it would have gotten that. I tried helping him from the get go but if he doesn't care well then I'm not gonna go crazy and try and do right...

OTOH,my BIL bought a 07 DMax and by 3k I had him bring it over and we did a complete front to back oil change,all synthetic,mostly on my dime... I'm here to help for the family,it's just wether you take me up on it...
cool.gif

Can I be part of your family? I could be there in late spring for service.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: farrarfan1

It isn't hurting anyone until he realizes its breaking down and sells it to some unsuspecting person.

Let the buyer beware...

That is really scary but I've got a better one. My aunt had a 1990 Mercury Cougar that had its oil changed once in 52,000 miles. It had an old rusted Pennzoil filter on it so I imagine that it had bulk Pennzoil 5-30 in it. When I finally changed it, the oil had the color and consistency of black ink. I regret not doing a UOA on that one!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: Bambam

cool.gif

Can I be part of your family? I could be there in late spring for service.
grin2.gif

COME ON!! Lemme know what ya got and I'll get what we need!

I would hope he wouldn't blame me for his abuse and a copy of the uoa will be given to him..

Remember the recent threads on the 1,000,000 mile Chevy? The guy said once he didn't change the oil for 55k miles!? Wonder if that UOA would have been as bad as this?

this has got to be a coolant leak. I'm not sure if GM would honor the warranty on this vehicle even if you took it in for warranty repair. You got a UOA that shows coolant leak but with 24000 miles on the oil. obvious neglect

Oh gosh yea. What a great reference point for a TBN!!
06.gif
grin2.gif

Can they still get one...?

Good luck with everything...

Cutehumor,

Dexcool would show higher potassium than sodium if there was a coolant leak. I think the engine was sucking dirt through the intake. Being CT, the sodium could be from road salt. The thickening could be from out of control oxidation, accelerated by the TBN waving bye bye a while ago.

How many miles ago do you suppose the Super Tech oil filter went into permanent bypass?

Or maybe the potassium isn't zero and the lab omitted it.

I'd double check with the lab, if it were me.

Anyway you slice it, not good.

REDDOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back