bulk pennzoil = to bottled pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not positive about Pennzoil, but Mobil bottles of Clean 5000 have a boosted add pack vs. its bulk counterpart.

As with everything, I'm sure bulk oil is engineered to its price point.

Bulk Pennzoil I believe is the same product as bottled Pennzoil as long as it is stored properly, quality-wise. If the product is the same name in most cases it is the same product, for example there is bulk Castrol GTX.

Mobil makes a different product for bulk called Drive Clean which does not have as strong of additive pack as the retail Mobil Clean 5000, but it is not a "cheapened" Mobil Clean 5000. Seperate products.

Well I will put it this way, they only make one grade of Pennzoil. We will take 5W30 for an example. When they blend a batch so much is dedicated for quart bottles, gallon jugs, 5- gallon pails, 55-gallon drums, and bulk delivery. When bulk oil is being shipped out to a company branch or a distributor it is either shipped by tanker truck or by rail. Before those tankers and rail cars are filled, they have to meet a clean standard which is very very strict. You can be sure the oil shipped is the exact same quality as the packaged product. Now saying all that, it is up to the local branch or distributor to keep their bulk tanks under the same standards. I know that Shell pulls samples from each of it's branch locations and distributors every quarter to test the quality of the oil. I have seen distributors cancelled for not maintaining quality standards. Then to carry it further, the branch or distributor delivers bulk product to car dealers, lube centers, repair shops, etc. I can't say what they do now, but I use to go to all of the customers in my area and pull samples at least twice a year to send samples in for testing.

MGregoir is correct about the Mobil products. Drive Clean is what Mobil sells to car dealers and lube centers in bulk and it is a totally different product than the Mobil Clean 5000.

So assuming the products are all the same when the leave the plant, what dictates whether oil is "quality" or not on the user end? For example, we use 76 Lubricants oil at work (probably because its cheap around here, were not too far from Conoco Philips) and it gets pumped into a big square green tank in the back corder of the shop. Pumped out with a pneumatic pump through some black pipe (obviously not corroding any time soon haha) and through a gun into the cars. What could possibly go wrong in this time frame?

Jim

If stored really cold the additives could drop out of suspension (that is the case with any product in cold storage), separation from sitting in the tank too long unused, picking up moisture, picking up corrosion from inside the tank, the tank being contaminated to begin with, etc.

Bulk oil works better when you have fast turnaround with it and a nice clean, temperature controlled storage tank. With those conditions met there's no real quality issues with it at all.

Thanks for the responses guys....I feel better now about taking my moms car to our local Speed Lube....they carry bulk Pennz...and that's what I use.. As for my own vehs, I pour it fromt he yellow bottle myself. My moms oil filter is a pain in the unmentionables...so I take it to the garage.

why would there be a difference?..i think it is load of horse---- that there would be

Johnny explained it best imo.

If it goes out to everyone in the same controlled environment, once at the shops and various places, if there storage containers arent kept up to snuff then......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back