Ralph Wood and his business

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Cherokee knows the epoxy coating sometimes doesn't hold up. the origional M-100 lube oil filter had no coating. I will be removing the coating. The last four I painted the outside with epoxy appliance paint. Sometimes the coatings are hard to remove. The coating is mostly for looks. It's like putting an epoxy coating on a transmission housing. The name will need to be changed. I might call them a TPF, Toilet Paper Filter. Most people want them because they take toilet paper. A lot of old timers remember them as a TP filter.

32.gif

Originally Posted By: 96 Cherokee
If I could figure out a way to mount one on my Grand Caravan, I would buy another one.

There's an easy solution for this. You can make a gravity-feed system with a pot, couple of hose barbs, some hose, and a BP filter. It's best if you set it up in your garage and put the reservoir strapped to a shelf - but it's also portable. I have one in my trunk that I put on the roof of my car when filtering stuff.

They're good for the environment and convenient. Instead of disposing of 2-3 gallons of antifreeze just filter it a few times and dispose of the TP roll.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjo

32.gif

Originally Posted By: 96 Cherokee
If I could figure out a way to mount one on my Grand Caravan, I would buy another one.

There's an easy solution for this. You can make a gravity-feed system with a pot, couple of hose barbs, some hose, and a BP filter. It's best if you set it up in your garage and put the reservoir strapped to a shelf - but it's also portable. I have one in my trunk that I put on the roof of my car when filtering stuff.

They're good for the environment and convenient. Instead of disposing of 2-3 gallons of antifreeze just filter it a few times and dispose of the TP roll.

mjo
I have actually thought about this, but it would be a lot of work.

What Ralph is talking about is, apparently, the Water Wetter in my coolant destroyed the epoxy coating on the inside of the TP filter housing. I had to change the water pump in my Jeep shortly after that incident and after removing the old pump, it appeared that there was no coolant coming out of the weep hole, it was leaking through the gasket. My best guess is the Water Wetter also ate through the gasket. Well of course I flushed out the engine very thoroughly and there will be no more Water Wetter in my engine. Lesson learned. The Ralph Wood TP filters I am using on my motor oil and transmission fluid on the same vehicle show no problems with the coating. I just wish I had learned about the TP filter many years ago. Could have saved myself thousands of dollars, literally.

Originally Posted By: Shup1
Who is selling the motorguard 'new' filters on EBAY??? Looks like a sprinkler company?

Not to hi-jack this thread

Notice that there is no restrictor and they don't show you the inside. I think they are just selling a motor guard and calling it a bypass oil filter. It looks like it does not have the center tube in it.

Figures....

Here is a perfect reason that people are scared to install bypass filters, run higher quality oils and run them longer with top shelf equipment.... Idiots looking to make a quick buck, some fool will install on thier truck and something will fry and then the ONLY thing they will remember is that a TP filter caused the issue.
Besinde who would buy a bypass filter from a sprinkler company? kind of like buying a mail order bride from the slaughter house

Originally Posted By: Shup1
Figures....

Here is a perfect reason that people are scared to install bypass filters, run higher quality oils and run them longer with top shelf equipment.... Idiots looking to make a quick buck, some fool will install on thier truck and something will fry and then the ONLY thing they will remember is that a TP filter caused the issue.
Besinde who would buy a bypass filter from a sprinkler company? kind of like buying a mail order bride from the slaughter house

Someone w/o a clue and no idea what they're doing. They only see it looks the same as Ralph's for half the cost and don't realize that its what they don't see that makes the difference. No thought or common sense to it.

Besides the first line of the ebay add reads like you're only buying a new bracket...

When I was selling the Gulf Coast filter they did a lot of military business. The military had a dozen or so big filters on a trailer with an air pump. For the trucks they would draw the antifreeze off the bottom of the engine and return the clean coolant to the top of the radiator with a radiator cap with a fitting in it. Then they would go to the next truck. They used a similar system for cleaning the fuel on the tanks that weren't used much. Sometimes the diesel fuel will get old and needs to be cleaned. These big systems mostly use paper towels. NASA sometimes cleans new oil before putting it in the engines. The engineer down there said new oil is sometimes too dirty to be used. I always thought new oil was clean and got dirty because of poor filtration to the point where it had to be changed. I have learned a lot debating the big boys on the forums. They have also learned a few things from me.
When I was a kid working in a full service gas station I told a guy that I see you just changed your oil. He said yes about 100 thousand miles ago. he pointed to his Frantz Oil Cleaner and said Son if you had one of these on your car and used Delo 100 motor oil you wouldn't need to change your oil and your engine wouldn't wear out. I learned very well. That ws the end of my routine oil changes and needless engine wear That was in 1963. I didn't find out about the Motor Guard until 1966. In those days the oil got very black in a short time. The filters turned the oil to a golden color. If you used what we called ethyl the dye would turn the oil red. Sludge was a thing of the past if you kept the filter changed. Sometimes you can get lucky and find an old M-100 lube oil filter on eBay. Most of the Motor Guards you see on eBay are not suitable for using TP because of the plastic parts inside. They are for compressed air. They are the best air filter available and designed to use Motor Guard elements. The origional air filters are designed for toilet paper.

Ralph

We want some photos from the old days. Can you show us some filter installations or old filters that you've installed.

I don't have any old pictures of old filters except magazine articles from Dune Buggies and Hot Volkswagens and Camper Coachman. There were very good pictures in off road publications but at the time I didn't see any value in saving them. **** Cepek tires sold a lot for dune buggies in southern California. They were a big thing in the Baha races. **** Cepek tires were big on off road equipment. A lot of water goes under the bridge in 40 years.
I just looked in the Jegs catalog. They have **** Cepek tires. I'll bet very few out there remember filters that clean oil. the people that know what a submicronic bypass filter is are about gone from the filter business. I thought about bringing in an Australian filter but they use their own elements now. They would probably hassle me if I converted them back to toilet paper. I am getting to the point where I would just as soon drag out the boat and go fishing.

Good to hear from you Ralph!

You have spread the word about bypass filters better than anyone. It sure would be great to see your site back up, even if there was "nothing for sale" on it. There was some great information there.

Like anything in life, it is likely these things can be worked out. I like your idea of selling "unpainted" units. Maybe Motorguard can provide you with the raw materials to get you on your way. That way, there is not a connection between the air filter and the oil filter.

Chris

Maybe we should all send complaint letters to the president of Motorguard. If they knew how fantastic Ralph's filters are and how much we miss them maybe that would shake things up a bit in the company?

Originally Posted By: mjo
Maybe we should all send complaint letters to the president of Motorguard. If they knew how fantastic Ralph's filters are and how much we miss them maybe that would shake things up a bit in the company?

I'm in! Got a link?

Good to hear from you Ralph.. I am still using the Motor guard on my nissan Altima ..now woith 240000+ miles..would put one on my Corvette..but can't find a place to squeeze it in .

Hi, I have been down with pneumonia. I let it get out of hand the last time. I pay a little more attention to my temp now.
Motor Guard isn't interested in oil filters. They have told me several times that they aren't profitable. I know it was rough in the 60's. Frantz was trying to put them out of business. A major oil company was trying to put Frantz out of business because they were a threat to the oil change business. A friend of mine was an engineer for Frantz but left and helped start Motor Guard. Frantz wasn't happy. He retired an an engineer for Boeing. He lives on the edge of a golf course, has his own airplane and sells real estate. He likes my latest filters. He said the coating is just for looks.
I just got a case of Kimberly Clark Scott 04460 from officedepot.com. It's a little higher quality than the Scott 1000 sheet. It is smaller. I unroll enough to slide it in snug. I sometimes save empty cores and split them and put them in the new roll. Sometimes when the tee handle is compressing the roll the core will tear allowing some oil to take a short cut. It's more critical filtering fuel. A double core is more leak resistant.

Hi Chris,
The trouble started when someone in Los Angeles told me he wanted 100 filters with no coating. Since he wanted to pay up front I called the president of Motor Guard and asked him to set aside 100 filters with no coating, no plastic parts and no elements. I got a bunch of c***about modifying their filters and a certified letter telling me not to use their name or old literature. I have them perfected now and really don't want to give them up. It is a hassle removing the coating but I will do it. With no coating the filters can be used with no fear of the coating breaking down. The president of Motor Guard says they don't have trouble with the coating breaking down. Epoxy lasts a long time in compressed air. The fact that I can soak it off in engine cleaner means it shouldn't be on there. I buy Scott 04460 by the case from officedepot.com. The Scott 100 sheet at the grocery store is ok but the two ply is a little tougher. I like a tightly wound roll that stretches a little before it tears at the perforations. Janitorial supply stores have the best paper.

Ralph hasn't posted here for a couple of years.

Is Ralph still in business?

Selling converted filters, or at least the TP adapter bushings so we can convert our own?

Originally Posted By: taxmantoo
Ralph hasn't posted here for a couple of years.

Is Ralph still in business?

Selling converted filters, or at least the TP adapter bushings so we can convert our own?

Last time I spoke with Ralph, he was selling a few filters by word of mouth only. No website. He told me the metal parts that replace the nylon have to be installed with a hydraulic press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back