Mitsuba starter brushes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a good source for brushes, Kawasaki. 12X14X6MM.
These should be common but I'm stuck.
Thanks Smoky

None locally, went 120mi yesterday to the next big town and rebuilding seems to be a thing only done in Mexico. They seem to be looking for a way to place as many obstacles between the rebuilder and the end user. So what if you have to replace a rebuilt unit 4 times, not their labor.

What machine is this for?

Your best bet is to order them through a Kawi dealer.

There are a lot of OEM parts dealers online if there isn't one locally:
bikebandit
world of powersports
etc..

I checked with two online places and they want 15.00 for the brush and 26.00 shipping. Fair for a starter, not a 1oz brush.
I some how find this to be grossly over charging,but then I'm old and have a sense of fair play.
I was in the MC business for over 40yrs and just don't believe in getting rich off one customer.

Order it through your dealer and there won't be shipping and handling. Starter brushes usually last for the duration, what happened to them?

Brush wore at an angle,reason unknown, and the old girl is 29 years old this Aug. A KZ1300 is hard to start when warm so the contact between commutator and brush got to be suspect.
I just hope I'm going in the proper direction. Wish I still had a "growler" for trouble shooting.

Does the starter crank slow when the bike is warm? Are you getting good voltage at the starter?

What is a "growler"??

Nice bike!!

Growler: diagnostic tool used to check rotors for shorts and opens. Much more effective than a meter.

Yes cranks slow, and intermittant no crank just started this season. Field and commutator both meter good, + brush is worn and angled. Ordered one from local dealer, now the big wait. Love living in a small town but hate the parts availability.
Wife has a 1982 XJ750 Maxum, runs great. I still have a 79, 350 Daytona in the crate, Yamaha's last thumb at the EPA.
XJ1100's were great. The XS1100 was a beast, loved them

Last edited:
Sounds like you have the problem diagnosed better than I could do! So I have no more tips...replace the brushes and go from there.

I love the 1100 Maxim...don't really see them around too often (only sold 1 year in the states). I see a lot of 650's and 750's but neither is quite the bike that the 1100 is.

You can send that daytona up here to MN anytime that you want...I will give you my address. I love old Yamaha's...especially when they are in like new condition!

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
None locally, went 120mi yesterday to the next big town and rebuilding seems to be a thing only done in Mexico. They seem to be looking for a way to place as many obstacles between the rebuilder and the end user. So what if you have to replace a rebuilt unit 4 times, not their labor.
Bummer. I know of 3 shops in town that only rebuild alts and starters. One guy is right on the other side of my wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back