Diamond ATF SP II???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys, I just purchased a 2000 Mitsubishi eclipse with the 2.4l engine and automatic trans. I want to change the transmission oil, so I refered to the manual which specifies DIAMOND ATF SP II or DIAMOND ATF SP II M. The problem is that I've never heard of, nor seen DIAMOND... anything fluid at the autoparts store. My past cars have always used Mercon/Dex III. So can you guys help translate this for me? Are they are reffering to something simpler and making it sound fancy? Or is this something special, that I have to go get from a Mitsubishi dealer? Let me know guys.
Thanks

patriot.gif

I used one of the MaxLife ones. Red bottle, multivehicle ATF. I hear Pennzoil is really good, too, but I could only find the MaxLife stuff (Valvoline?). If I had my druthers, I'd have used Amsoil but I was time-crunched and not sure I wanted to spend over 2x what the MaxLife stuff costs, esp. since I'm going to drain-and-replace 2.7-3 qts. every 15K miles.

I did this in my '03 Sedona, which also specs Diamond SP III. It is **not** the same as Mercon/Dextron III, but how it is different I can't say. For the price I'd just buy more MaxLife, it seems to work just peachy (although I've got < 1000 miles on it to date, but I *have* driven in some pretty hilly areas.).

I'll let ya'll know how the MaxLife does in my '02 Accord V6 soon enough.

Ok, so you're saying that I should use Valvoline Maxlife, multi-vehicle ATF right? Oh, and just out of curiosity, do they actually sell ATF called DIAMOND ATF SPII?

Thanks dude!

cheers.gif

Diamond SP I/II/III is the proprietary ATF for Mitsu, Kia, and Hyundai. It is only available from dealers and I've been told that Kia or Hyundai brand is cheaper (at least a little) than Mitsu.

There are many opinions on whether it is necessary to use Diamond SP or not and if it's worse/as good/better than other ATF's. I am debating this topic with myself since my daughter's '97 Galant will be ready for a flush/fill in a few hundred miles (after A-Rx). I leaning toward Diamond SP or Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle (new product), whichever is cheaper. These are probably the safest routes to try, other than Amsoil if you have the money.

The thought of trying Dex VI has crossed my mind though... any thoughts out there?
dunno.gif

I have several long term Mitsus, Hyundais, and Kias running ATF+4.

Castrol Import would be an easy choice, as well as any other universal/multivehicle ATF.

I researched this about 2 months ago. I have a 2003 mitsu with 2.4 and auto. I did complete flush with atf+4 and it's been just fine. Infact, it's shifts better than before the flush.

Quote:

Good call... I had forgotten about the +4 that some people are using. The argument is compelling for it also, since Mopar+ fluids are recommended for the Mopar-Mitsubishis.

Now maybe I'll decide between +4 and Castrol Import MV, based on price.

Hey guys thanks for all your help. I called mitsubishi and they had the diamond stuff for $5.69 qt so I went to Autozone and they had castrol import (which said it met diamond sp II specs on the back of the bottle) for $3.99 qt. I bought the Castrol without even trying the Huyndai dealers since it probably wont beat Atozones price, plus Castrol is part synthetic. I bought 4 quarts for a drain and refill. Thanks to all.

star-wars-smiley-008.gif

Good choice. Let us know how the Castrol Import feels after a few hundred miles.

Not sure on the Mitsu AT programming logic, but I do recommend that you do an overnight battery disconnect after the drain/refill.
Fresh fluid is thicker and fresh additives might shock any AT programming. Wiping any AT learned parameters, IMO, is must when maintaining electronically controlled transmissions.

unDummy is correct, my Galant factory service manual also states that it may shift somewhat erratically until it has "relearned" your driving pattern. But, nothing to be concerned about.

Continuing the discussion....

I changed out my Mitsu Outlander SP III fluid last summer after 3 flushes of new SP III with 30K on it. Have 6K on the new fluid now -- What do ya think -- stay with SP III and do a single 3QT drain/fill with oil changes, or would I benefit by changing over to something like Castrol Import?

I can get the SP III from the Mitsu dealer for about $5 quart..

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Castrol Import would be an easy choice, as well as any other universal/multivehicle ATF.

You will void your warranty by using ATF+4. It is not Hyundai approved so if you run into problems the dealer may turn you away.

Originally Posted By: gsnod
Continuing the discussion....

I changed out my Mitsu Outlander SP III fluid last summer after 3 flushes of new SP III with 30K on it. Have 6K on the new fluid now -- What do ya think -- stay with SP III and do a single 3QT drain/fill with oil changes, or would I benefit by changing over to something like Castrol Import?

I can get the SP III from the Mitsu dealer for about $5 quart..

I would call the ATF manufacturer before changing over to any ATF fluid. I sent an ATF manufacturer an e-mail in reference to my 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. I then decided to call them to ask for compatibility. The rep. stated that it is as long as I completely drained all of the fluid out including the torque converter. A minimal amount left behind would not be a problem. The next day I received a reply via e-mail stating that it is not compatible. I decided to call them again. This time they stated they had conflicting information on my vehicle and needs to be researched further by them. I will be getting a call back from one of their head engineers for verification hopefully tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it turns out.
This goes to tell you that you should always verify regardless of what the label on the bottle says.

Just use a SP III approved fluid. Preferably from the dealer. I have heard a few stories about alternate fluids working good for a few thousand miles, then........trouble.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Just use a SP III approved fluid. Preferably from the dealer. I have heard a few stories about alternate fluids working good for a few thousand miles, then........trouble.

I totally agree. I am concluding that the multi-vehicle ATF's being offered are not such a great solution. I will be sticking with the SPIII from the dealer. Spending the extra few bucks per quart will save me a lot of headaches.

I've had the MaxLife in my Kia for probably > 10K miles now. No problems and, if anything, it shifts better than the Kia OEM fluid. I'm very happy with it. The Castrol's specs didn't really impress me compared to the MaxLife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back