5W30 recommended, 10W30 used, how many do this

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the price of gas climbing all the time, if I didn't have a huge stash, I would lean on running syn 5w20

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Although my engine ran the smoothest with Penn 5W20.

Thought I was the only one. I've used 5w-20 and 10w-30 in both 4cyl Fords and noticed the same results but the 99 with 156,000 miles needs something a little thicker due to a slight warm-up knock.

Originally Posted By: Big O Dave
What about 0W30's .........
I wouldn't lose any sleep over such things, and I'd use all of '''''''''''''''''.

cool.gif

I don't lose any sleep either, I take 2 x 5L full oil containers of my favorite brand and wrap foam around them and pull a clean pillow case around them and get in bed.

Then I sing the ROLL OVER SONG I leant in Kindy to my self, "there were 10 oil jugs in a bed and the little one said roll over, roll over.... etc" By the time a get to number 6 in a bed I am fast asleep".

Hint it took a long time to train the boss (ie for the wife to accept this)

I should patent this as a cure for insommia.

I don't see any problems using a 10w30 synthetic in place of recommended 5w30. What you have to remember is that most manufacturer specs for wieghts based on convention oil.

I am currently running Amsoil ATM 10w30 in my wife's Toyota RAV4. I have no technical data. It has gotten to about 0 degrees F here, and it has had no startup issues at all, no extra start up noises. The car runs fine. I may end up running this oil all the time in both cars, and they both spec 5w30.

I use Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend 10w30 in both of my Honda Accords. OEM spec is 5w30 and the manual says 10w30 is OK if your climate never gets below 20*F. I live in Mississippi, and it rarely gets below 20. Every now and then it does though. But I use the 10w30 all year round and I've never had any issues. The 2000 has 130k and change. The 95 has 120k and change. The mustang has around 180k, but it sits in my dad's garage an hour away from my house. he drives it every now and then. We use 10w40 in it and it doesn't leak a drop either.
I plan on selling the 95 sometime soon. The V6 in it was Hondas first attempt at a V6 in an accord, and the engine is known for leaking in various places. It does have a few slow leaks, but nothing to worry me terribly. I plan on taking the 2000 Accord to 500k. Once I hit 250 k or so I may contemplate switching to 10w40 if I see any leaks. But if I still have no leaks, I'm sticking with 10w30. One of my mottos has always been "If it aint broke, don't fix it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back