Dodge Ram Transmission Fluid Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a 98 dodge ram with an automatic transmission. My owners manual calls for ATF-2, but a friend of mine told me that i need to run ATF-4 or I will have tranny problems. Is there any truth to this?

ATF+2 was the fluid spec at the time. That was replaced by ATF+3. ATF+4 is the new fluid spec and it is backwards compatible with and has replaced the older fluids. However, your tranny never came with ATF+4( unless it has been rebuilt using +4 )so you can run the older fluid. You can't run older fluid in a tranny that came with +4 but you are fine not using it in your 98.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
You should be using an approved ATF+4 product.

He has a 1998. ATF+3 hadn't even come out yet and he even pointed out his manual calls for ATF+2. He does not need to use ATF+4 and it will not hurt his tranny using something else.

If you mean he will be better off running an ATF+4 because it is a better fluid and it will be okat to run that is different but say that. Don't imply he has to run ATF+4 because if you do, like his buddy, you will be wrong.

He was asking if he HAD to run it because he was told if he didn;t he waould have tranny problems not can he, or should he, because it is better.

Originally Posted By: NHSilverado
Originally Posted By: The Critic
You should be using an approved ATF+4 product.

He has a 1998. ATF+3 hadn;t even come out yet. He does NOT need to use ATF=$ and it will not hurt his tranny using soemthing else.

Where can he find ATF+3 though?

You can purchase an approved ATF+4 product for the cost of a multi-vehicle product. There's no reason to use anything else, as a cheaper alternative really doesn't exist.

Stores still have some ATF+3( or fluid only rated to ATF+3 )on the shelves. Not all fluids are approved/certified/meet/exceed ATF+4 yet. He is fine using one of those other fluids. Yes, ATF+4 is a better product but he asked if he would have problems if he didn't run it. The answer to that is no. That is all I was pointing out.

Yes ATF+4 is the stuff to use. Dodge back spec'd the fluid at least as far back as my 1996 Ram. But you don't have to take my word on it, just ask the guy at the parts counter to look it up for you.

Originally Posted By: NHSilverado
Stores still have some ATF+3( or fluid only rated to ATF+3 )on the shelves. Not all fluids are approved/certified/meet/exceed ATF+4 yet. He is fine using one of those other fluids. Yes, ATF+4 is a better product but he asked if he would have problems if he didn't run it. The answer to that is no. That is all I was pointing out.

ATF+3 would likely work well to -- I have just never had to use it.

ATF+4 is the way to go in that trans, Anything but Chrysler ATF could destroy the trans in short order. Good luck finding any ATF+3 , I haven't seen any in months.

Let me start by saying I have no doubt all of these ATF+3 fluids are now discontinued. A quick search however turned them up online and they are 07 copyright dates. They are still up for people because the fluid is still out there. I actually just gave 7 qts of ATF+3 QS I had sitting in the shed to a friend with an 01 Ram so he could use it up. IT is still out there either in limited store shelves or peoples sheds.

Also, again, the question was does he HAVE to run ATF+4 to avoid problems and the answer is 100% no. His tranny did not come with ATF+4 and it wasn't even spec'd/designed yet never mind used. ATF+3 wasn't even out yet never mind +4. However, he may actually have to use +4 because it is all he will be able to find. There is a big difference between having to use it because it is all he can get and having to use it or have tranny trouble.

I was answering his actual question.

AAMCO ATF+3
http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSE2PVLEXAAMCO_ATF_3.asp

Havoline ATF+3
http://www.havoline.com/products/na/trans_atf3.html

Penzoil ATF+3
http://www.pennzoil.com/products/trans_fluids/atf_plus3.html

Mobil ATF+3
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_ATF+3.asp?Print=yes

Mopar ATF+3
http://www.mopar.com/m_maint_replacement_fluids.html

Originally Posted By: -Clayton-
Why use ATF+3? ATF+4 is a much better fluid and is readily available.

OMG! ARRGGHH!
33.gif

I have not told the guy to use ATF+3! I just answered his actual question which no one else is doing!

He said he has a 98 Ram that the manual calls for ATF+2 but his friend said he has to run ATF+4 or there will be problems. He asked if that was true? The answer is NO it is false. He does not HAVE to run ATF+4. If he finds some ATF+2( highly doubt it ) or ATF+3( very possible still ), and he WANTS to use it, he CAN use it and be fine.

He did not ask what fluid he should run or if he could run ATF+4 he was asking if he HAD to run ATF+4 as his buddy said. I JUST was answering his actual question. I also have said he probably will have to run ATF+4 because it is all he will find more than likely.

OY! Don't people read before posting?
crazy2.gif
Sorry for the rant, and no offense meant, but how many times do I have to repeat it?

Originally Posted By: -Clayton-
Yeah after about the third time of you saying the exact same thing, I quit reading.

But yet you still made a post saying/implying I said to use ATF+3?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back