Need thoughts on Royal Purple, MB1 and Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LexusAussie
Guys, I'm only new to the Forum but can we take the emotion out of this please.

Some things to consider:

1. If you sell or are involved with a particular product, you will always be suspected by some people as being "biased" towards that product in some way;
2. Pretty much all modern oils from reputable companies are high quality and will do the job;
3. Everyone has a personal preference for oil the same as they do for cars (Lexus and Porsche in my case for cars and AMSoil,M1 and PP for oil. For some reason I don't really like Castrol or Valvoline - no basis in fact whatsoever, just don't like their products);
4. YMMV whatever product that you use. Every vehicle, environment and driving style is different;
5. Forums are a place to hear and be heard

thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif
Great post.

There seems to be precious little feedback in this thread regarding Royal Purple. Is it seen as an inferior lubricant or just not a good value compared to Amsoil/M1/PP?
-enganear

I JUST HAVE A BIG PROBLEM BUY ANYTHING FROM EXXON INCLUDING GAS SCREW'EM AND USE A PRODUCT THAT ISN'T CONNECTED TO THE OIL COMPANIES..TMO

You will be hard-pressed to find a lubricant product that is not at least indirectly connected to the big oil companies by way of raw materials, etc.

lots of good comments here. my own experiences have confirmed what pablo has stated. mobil delvac 1 and 0W-40 are very good products. after numerous uoa's on both amsoil and mobil 1, it's pretty obvious that amsoil is the better lubricant in the vehicles i've owned over the years. it aint rocket science. longer drain intervals is one of amsoil's largest marketing tools and they use it well. better uoa's, longer drain intervals, and i can have it delivered to my doorstep make amsoil the better of the 2. did i mention that i HATE going to china/wally world?? now, if any of you (doug) wanna use mobil, or anything else, have at it. this is america, and my opinion is NOT biased, but based on facts. the "lawyerese" lingo on mobil's website is also a big turn-off.

i just want to say that i have a 2000 beetle tdi and a 2003 beetle 2.0 gas engine. Mobil 1 0w40 meets vw spec for both cars and that is vw 505/502/503. now i have been using Mobil 1 for the last twenty three years and not one bit of trouble or concern.will i keep using mobil 1 in the future why not.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
the only possible claim left for Amsoil is longer oil change intervals

In 2008, I think that is about right. This goes for M1 too. Synthetics #1 benefit is really only extended drain intervals. If one is troubled by M1's Fe wear, use PP then. Case closed.
grin2.gif

don't for get about cold weather starts that is where most engine wear occurs at start up.

Just look at the amsoil tests,I know,I know! But the results were, Surprise,surprise! 1. Amsoil, 2. Mobil 1 Ep, 3.PP. That's all I need to know! M1 ep at wm for $26 5qt jug is good enough for me and PP would be acceptable. Just my .02.

Mobil 1 introduced 25,000 mile oil change in 1974
for one year only, never to offer it again to date.
profit before quality.
Mobil 1 advertising budget is in the mutiple millions.
Amsoil does not blow cash advertising as Mobil does.
I have used Mobil, Redline,Royal Purple. none of these companies offer the value and quality of car products Amsoil offers.
Superior Oil, Superior Air Filters and Oil filters.
why experiment with profit foreign based oil companies?
the fuel savings alone beat out all the competitors.

lazaro, Amsoil is not the only quality oil on the market. Who does Amsoil buy from? Who does the R&D? I like Amsoil, but lets keep it real here.

Quote:

Question:
Why Doesn't Mobil 1 Formally Respond to Amsoil Claims?
I have used Mobil 1 synthetic motor oils for many years. I have been very pleased with Mobil 1 and plan to continue using it. Why doesn't Mobil 1 counter any of the claims made by Amsoil? Amsoil certainly doesn't seem to mind posting test data saying that they make better oil all over the Internet. I have not seen a formal response to any of Amsoil's claims from Mobil 1.
-- Mark Fisher, South Houston, TX
Answer:
We believe that most knowledgeable consumers realize the kind of engine testing and OEM endorsements associated with the Mobil 1 brand. At ExxonMobil we let our customers, endorsements, and extensive engine and field testing do the talking.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
lazaro - you say "the fuel savings alone beat out all the competitiors"

Any hard facts to back this up or is it Amsoil speak????

Is AMSoil speak the same as Mobil, Shell or Castrol speak?

Doug, you have a firm bias towards Mobil, Shell or Castrol and I have noticed that you bristle when anyone says that other products are superior. Presumably this is due to your past associations with these companies.

Seriously, all these companies (AMSoil included) make exaggerated claims for their products.

As I said in an earlier post:

1. If you sell or are involved with a particular product, you will always be suspected by some people as being "biased" towards that product in some way;
2. Pretty much all modern oils from reputable companies are high quality and will do the job;
3. Everyone has a personal preference for oil the same as they do for cars (Lexus and Porsche in my case for cars and AMSoil,M1 and PP for oil. For some reason I don't really like Castrol or Valvoline - no basis in fact whatsoever, just don't like their products);
4. YMMV whatever product that you use. Every vehicle, environment and driving style is different;
5. Forums are a place to hear and be heard

Quote:
Seriously, all these companies (AMSoil included) make exaggerated claims for their products.

Very true.
cheers3.gif

Hi,
Dave - I only "bristle" when people make claims that they cannot substantiate, regardless of the Brand!

We must always remember that many people accessing this Forum have little or no real knowledge of the subject. Throwaway lines that supposedly have a "aura" of realism in them pollute the facts that many of us try to live by and promote

No doubt Dave you will learn more the longer you are a Member of BITOG

As a previous poster has indicated there would be little if any variance in engine life between these three Oil Company/Blender's products if they all met similar specifications and when used in an identical duty cycle

In a controlled Laboratory test to "destruction" the results would most likely be somewhat the same if shooting to only meet say a API test process - generally we don't know how Royal Purple and Amsoil lubricants would perform here - we do with M1

In an engine Manufacturer's test protocols the results may be quite different as many of these tests are component and use/application specific. Again few if any of the Royal Purple and Amsoil products have Manufacturer Approvals. M1 in various forms has many Manufacturer Approvals and is a first fill and then the service fill of some by choice

In a Lab test routine using RATT and/or other wear rate testing mechanisim the likely results of the Royal Purple and Amsoil products is an unknown quantity. M1 does seek Manufacturer Approvals and works with the engine and compnents makers (as do Castrol, Shell, Caltex and etc) to quantify component wear rates and lubricant deterioration processes
This is why using Manufacturer prescribed products is an easy and safe choice for the average user!

So and IMHO the average BITOG Member could use same specification products from the three named contenders (and many others too) in the correct application and achieve suitable and likely identical user results from each. Any margins would not be noticed!

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
You will be hard-pressed to find a lubricant product that is not at least indirectly connected to the big oil companies by way of raw materials, etc.
Also there is only a relative few additive suppliers.

I will stick up for Doug ,He spent years living with expensive engines. I would say he knows what works and what doesn't and what happens at warranty time.

Originally Posted By: bangtango
Guys,
New to site but a long term gear head. Have been using Mobil 1 for ages, now thinking of changing, no problems just change for changes sake. Got 70K on Ford Expediation, used MB1 all of its life since new. Got a 06 4cyl Escape and have used Royal Purple, again no problems. Got a 98 GT Mustang with 50k, using dino but was going to change to either Amsoil or Royal Purple. Can get the Amsoil for about 8 a qt, Royal Purple is 8 a qt @ Pep Boys, and the MB 1 at Wal Mart goes for 24 for 5 qts plus a 10% discount. Thoughts????
Lets say they were all the exact same in every way . Which they probably are or should be which one would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back