Mobil Delvac 1/TDT 2004 VW Jetta TDI 11,608 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my final UOA on Mobil 1 TDT, with the particulars listed below.

Lab used: Predictive Maintenance Services/AV Lube
Car: 2004 Jetta GL (PD engine)
Mileage on car at time of sample: 148,157
Miles on sample: 11,608
Oil: Mobil 1 TDT (CI-4+)
Make-up oil added: 500ml
Fuel used: BP#2 Diesel, plus 4 ozs Stanadyne Performance Formula added with each fill up.

Iron: 30
Chromium: 1
Lead: 1
Copper: 3
Tin: 0
Aluminum: 6
Nickel: 1
Silver: 0
Silicon: 4
Boron: 43
Sodium: 4
Potassium: 4
Magnesium: 416
Calcium: 2460
Phosphorus: 1518
Zinc: 1397
Molybdenum: 0
Fuel: A
Water: Glycol: N
Viscosity @ 100c: 14.7
TBN: 10.0
Soot: 0.2
Oxidation: 15
Nitration: 10

Lab's comments: "Wear and contamination levels appear normal. No corrrective action indicated by tests performed. Continue normal PM and sample interval."

My comments: Another outstanding UOA with this oil. Obviously, I could have left it in much longer. Soot, sodium, potassium, and lead have returned to normal since the EGR/boost problem was corrected, and the oil stayed in grade. As always, the oil filter was cut apart and checked for metal particles. None were found. A visual inspection of the cam/followers/rollers shows nothing amiss.

I have switched to Delvac 1 ESP, and will continue my "experiment" with that oil.

I welcome your comments.

The results are pretty boring, and that's something to be happy about. I have only about a third as many miles on my '04 TDI as you have, and I'll bet your numbers are better than mine. I'm still under warranty and so am using the dealer's Castrol 505.01 oil. It is clear from your history that Delvac/Mobil 1 meets or exceeds VW's standards for PD engines, although Mobil doesn't bother to make that claim. Keep us posted on the ESP!

This oil works wonderfully in my engine. Still, I won't recommend that others use it in their PD engines, but my results speak for themselves.
grin2.gif
FWIW, I used the various 505.01 oils during my warranty period with good results too.

Originally Posted By: a4tdi
Obviously, I could have left it in much longer.

Why didn't you leave it in longer? Haven't you already run the Delvac up to 20k with excellent results?

Originally Posted By: fitzski
Originally Posted By: a4tdi
Obviously, I could have left it in much longer.

Why didn't you leave it in longer? Haven't you already run the Delvac up to 20k with excellent results?

True. I think this oil is robust enough to routinely go 20k in my engine. After having a problem in the EGR/intercooler system (with a huge spike in soot), I decided that this last fill of CI-4+ would be a "flush" before switching to Delvac 1 ESP.

Rather than change the ESP at 10k, I plan to draw a sample and see how well it's holding up and go from there. I expect similar good results.

Hi,
a4dti - I regularly ran this lubricant out to 90k kms in heavy diesel engines and its viscosity was always within bounds

My main condemnation criteria in averaged order was;

1 - Soot >3.5%
2 - Iron >150ppm

Our minimum of TBN 1 (D4739)or 2 (D2896) was never reached

Topup averaged 6k per litre

This lubricant tolerates soot far beyond 3.5% and overall it is a very robust lubricant and ideally suited for extended OCIs (UOA monitored of course)

Last edited:
Hi Doug,

I'm glad you weighed in on the issue and I always welcome your comments! In a healthy TDI engine, Delvac 1 is quite capable of doubling the normal OCI. Going 20k does make some owners jittery, but my results have proven this product does extremely well in this LDD application.
For a TDI, soot much above 2.0% is usually cause for concern. When my engine was "ill", the soot spiked from a normal 0.1% to 0.8%. Still, TBN was strong at 6.42, viscosity still within a 40-weight, and Iron at only 60 ppm.

I hope the newest formulation does as well.

Thanks again,

Mark

Hi,
Mark - In dealing with the prime additive supplier to ExxonMobil the soot handling characteristics and abilities of Delvac 1 5w-40 were often discussed amongst the Engineering staff (of both organisations) at some length with me

It would be unwise for me to state figures but Detroit Diesel set a limit 3%, Mobil's limit was 3.5%. I was comfortable going to 4% and on more than one occasion went to >5% (when Iron was still around 125ppm). Because of the comments above I was happy that (confirmed by the lubricant's condition and wear metal patterns) no unusual wear had occurred

It is the manner in which the lubricant handles soot (to prevent agglomeration) that is critical and not neccessarily the arbitrary "number" that is often set at the highest safety margin

That said, my personal and regular limit was 3.5% but Iron always got to 150ppm first anyway!!

Detroit Diesel Series 60 engines are OHC with a roller (ceramic) actuator of the injector/valve bridge of course. Extremely high contact pressures are developed especially when the "Jake" brake is actuated. I never ever experienced any measurable cam component wear at all. Wear pads often fell out of place and were only noticed at OC (90k kms) time when they came out with the lubricant! Even then no additional wear was ever noticed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back