SYNTHETIC OIL for 2003 Honda Odyssey Mini Van?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has 55,000 miles. I've used American Castrol Syntec 5W-30&10W-30.Also, Valvoline Synpower 5/30&10/30, and Mobil One 5/30.I went with the Castrol and Valvoline lately, because they are less expensive. I've been thinking about 0-30 weights,Rotella 5W-40, or perhaps Penz. Platinum all group 3or4 "synthetic" oils. I want excellent cold flow as it gets minus 20 degrees F here in Minnesota.I also want an oil that is locally available at Wally World.All opinions welcome. THANKS.

For winter use, I would be looking at 5W-20 or 0W-20. 0W-30 would be another good cold weather oil. Mobil 1 comes in these viscosities, but not sure if you will find them at your local WM.
5W-30 Mobil 1 also has some pretty impressive cold temp flow numbers last time I saw the specs. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 would be a good choice. RTS 5W-40 would be a heavier oil that I don't think is needed in your engine, esp in the winter. How long/many miles do you go between oil changes?

Why aren't you using a 5w 20? I beleive that is what is spec'd for the car. I have an 04 and have used 5w-20 and have over 100k on my car with no problems. I live in upstate ny.

I get mobile 1 5w20 in the 5 quart jug from wally world.

No problems starting my STi with 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum oil in the sump this winter. Coldest startup I saw this season was -16F.

Originally Posted By: AndyH
No problems starting my STi with 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum oil in the sump this winter. Coldest startup I saw this season was -16F.

More than anything I'm suggesting there was no need for him to move to 5w-40 Rotella.

junebug-- Why cut your gas mileage by using a viscosity other than 5w-20? I have used MC 5-20 in two Hondas since 2002 with great results. A 5 qt. jug at wallyworld runs about $10.80. Honda engines are designed to use 5-20. Don't second guess their engineers --- use what they spec! If you prefer to go beyond 7500 OCI, I use PP in my Mazda with great UOA's. I run out to 9K or 10K on PP with good OCI's.FWIW.

specced for 5w-20, right??? So why not just go with pennzoil platinum or M1 5-20 or 0w-20 and not worry about a thing???

JMH

you dont have to be trying to "fix" anything in desiring to run syn oil.

Their desire to have superior cold flow properties was well established, and the peace of mind that can be derived from running syn oil has a value to some in and of itself.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back