1999 honda accord auto v6 atf fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys what is recommended for the above model in atf?? aside from honda oem fluid?? what would be a better option? thanks guys and no my dad doesnt have the book for it.. he is getting hard shifts when he gasses it.

Sorry mikeg5 for the delay, but Amsoil ATF, Valvoline Max-Life ATF, Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import, Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle are all replacements. I would not hesitate to use any of those.

I'm sure you'll get some garbage from others stating to use ONLY Honda Z-1 ATF, but since you specifically asked for recommendations other than that, you should only get those recommendations.

i am curious, why only use the z-1 from honda if the honda oem atf fluid sucks as bad as everyone says?? i am confused here lol

I'm confused too, but there are too many people that are afraid to use other fluids that have proven themselves superior in the real world.

I don't think the Honda Z-1 sucks, I just think there are far better fluids. But I don't plan to start that argument. If you are comfortable using a non-OEM fluid, do it, I doubt you'll have any problems as long as regular maintenance is performed..

dorkie. you had no issues with running maxlife or amsoil? no hard shifting when gassing it enough to get on the highway? thanks btw

They do not have a CVT. They are 4-speed units.

Redline and Royal Purple also claim to have suitable fluids. Royal Manufacturing (in Texas) & Amalie are two other fluids for this usage.

Originally Posted By: dorkiedoode
i use amsoil and i'm happy. although i did run it with maxlife for a while.

i checked on maxlife online and they do not spec Z-1 for hondas

That's not true. MaxLife does spec ATF-Z1. I've been running it in my '02 Accord V6. It's a bit thick but it does the job. I *really* like it in my Kia Sedona, but I'm not sure if I like it or not in my Accord. It shifts fine though. When really cold (less than -10F) it's a bit harsh the first 2-3 shifts.

Go here and view the "Product Info" pdf file - it clearly states so.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=73&section=400

I've been using Amsoil for almost 40K of the total 59K on my TL. Over half of the 40K has been on the non-recommended ATD.

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
dorkie. you had no issues with running maxlife or amsoil? no hard shifting when gassing it enough to get on the highway? thanks btw

there is hard shift but it shift way better than Z-1 in my experience. its very smooth when the engine is warm but kind of hard when it is cold.

Mine shifts fine with MaxLife in it ('02 Accord V6). I notice the shifts-under-pressure are /great/ (read: when you have your foot in it). I don't really care for Honda Automatics - they shift great when under pressure, but otherwise I don't care for them. I should clarify the cold-weather shifting: I mean the first 2-3 gear changes and then it seems fine, not the first 2 or 3 *gears* (first through third). By the time I'm around the block it seems fine.

I'm going to give Pennzoil MV ATF a try when I run out of MaxLife. The cold-weather specs are a bit thinner and it too specs ATF Z1.

I'd love to use Amsoil but at that price I can't justify it. I do a drain and refill (3.2 quarts or so on the Honda) every 10-15K miles or so.

my dads 99 accord with 96k miles shifts pretty hard when he gets on it lets say like on an on ramp for the highway. i mean it shifts hard. now if you are easy on it, it shifts easy. arent there some issues with honda autos??

The '02 models (6th gen) are lucky in that they ARE covered under the 100K make-the-customer-happy service stuff but they are NOT known for transmission problems -- my understanding is that the gears in the '02 models do NOT suffer from the metallurgy problems that the earlier ones did. It's not like it's bulletproof but the '02 is known for being OK while the others are "typically problematic before 60K". Mine is tight as a drum at just shy of 60K, and over half of that are hard miles.

I did Specialty Formulations at 30K or so and am now using MaxLife. I'll probably switch to Pennzoil MV in the Honda and keep using Maxlife in the Kia Sedona (which I really really like).

Originally Posted By: Jon
The '02 models (6th gen) are lucky in that they ARE covered under the 100K make-the-customer-happy service stuff but they are NOT known for transmission problems -- my understanding is that the gears in the '02 models do NOT suffer from the metallurgy problems that the earlier ones did. It's not like it's bulletproof but the '02 is known for being OK while the others are "typically problematic before 60K". Mine is tight as a drum at just shy of 60K, and over half of that are hard miles.

quote from v6performance.net

"Although all years of the 6th Generation AV6 have had transmission failures, the worst by far seem to be the 2000-2001 models with the warranty extension. Failures commonly occur between 50-70k miles regardless of modifications or driving style. Members who are either outside of the factory or extended warranty have had success in getting Honda to grant them a "goodwill" transmission replacement. This is in Honda's best interest since they do not want to lose you as a customer. Honda does not have a set policy, but on lower mileage cars they seem more willing to cover 100% of the expenses. On higher mileage cars they may ask you to pay for labor charges ($600-700) or split the replacement cost 50/50 ($1000 to you). A factory rebuilt transmission costs around $2000 and a factory fresh one is upwards of $4000. It is also important to note that the "rebuilt" transmissions have not been any better than the original factory units. If anything, they have been worse and are likely to fail sooner."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back