Short trips okay with ARX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stands no more! I'm changing my oil today and throwing in the ARX. I'm just curious if it will be as effective with the amount of short trips that I do. I'd say 95% of my trips are 5 minutes or less, throughout the day. I do occasionally try to get out and run it up to true operating temperature.

I guess I'm assuming a high fuel dilution level in my oil (never had it tested), and I'm wondering if this will have adverse effects on my ARX treatment.

I last changed the oil on October 28th. I just ticked over 2000 miles on this oil change. It gets driven several times a day, just not too awful long at a stint.

Why are you changing your oil ? Auto-Rx for first clean will work with your current oil if it has 2500 miles of useful life.

Auto-Rx will do it,s job if it takes months to accumulate 2500 miles.

Fuel dillution is not going to hurt Auto-Rx it will make a change in your oil analysis numbers (if you deceide to get oil analysis) before you use Auto-Rx get a sample sent to Dyson Oil Analysis.

Than send them a sample after Auto-Rx application is done. You will see the benefits.

Last edited:
Frank-

I'm changing the oil simply because I want to start fresh with ARX. I know, I only have 2000 miles on a fill on syntec, but I really don't like this oil to begin with, so I'm going back to standard GTX.

I'm not worried about seeing the benefits via oil analysis... I'm sure I'll be able to see them in other ways :). Right now, I've spent my disposable cash on ARX, so the UOAs will have to wait :D

I am sure that you will get the benefits even with your short trip driving. Fuel dilutions will likely continue to be an issue with all of these five minutes runs on a rich fuel air mix. But that can be minimized somewhat by better ring pack sealing. The big benefit will be the lubrication enhancement of ARX while you run oil comproized by fuel dilution. Over at ARX, view the extended drain tests with the maintenance dose of ARX in the Ford Explorer.

You have spent your budget wisely.

My question would be 'Should I reduce the mileage of the treatment and rinse phase?' Assuming that your short trips are in town, your engine may be turning many more revolutions per mile more because you are using the lower gears, than you would during normal mixed Town Highway driving. Kind of the opposite to the guy that was going to drive to Florida during his ARx treatment.
I have been puzzled you the 2500/3000 mile instructions? 2.5k for engine (A) could be a whole lot different for engine (B) depending on the cars use, gearing, size etc.
Assuming the figures are somewhat arbitrary, could they not be rounded up to 3k each phase or 50 hours of operation?

The new directions say 2500 miles, change the filter and go another 2500 miles before changing the oil and the filter.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
The new directions say 2500 miles, change the filter and go another 2500 miles before changing the oil and the filter.

Actually, that would be as below-

"Drive 2,500 miles, then change your oil and filter again, but do not add Auto-Rx or any other additive. Drive an additional 3,000 miles, then change your oil and filter again."

I do plan on some highway trips and longer runs here and there. But the fact is, most of my driving is 3 miles or less at a time.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
Where are you seeing that?

I thought I saw Frank say something about it earlier.

Originally Posted By: rangerdood
Dyoel182 said:
I do plan on some highway trips and longer runs here and there. But the fact is, most of my driving is 3 miles or less at a time.

I do the same thing except mine is about 8 miles one way. Once in a while, I took a long trip. It is still working without any problem. In my first clean and rinse, I only ran for 2000 miles clean with short distances. It is still working great.

Spitty,

I would not reduce the application mileage due to short operating intervals, due to time spent in low gears and higher revs. As stated above ARX works best with heat and flow, neither is achieved to compensate for the lower gear engagement of short trips. The 2500 miles stands for the cleaning phase. Critical frictional sources will heat up much quicker than the shear volume of the total oiling system which will make the ARX cleaning effective even with the number of short runs expected.

Sprintman, would you think that this gentleman is a candidate for the pizza box application?

With his low miles and short trips, I would be considering the 2 bottle application. What say you, Barkerman? I know that the 2 bottles is more targeted to sludge applications, but with the lower heat and miles, that's what I would do to get things moving faster. And then try to get some longer, full temp trips worked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back