Carbon Fork crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to reply twice I hit the wrong key. In most carbon forks the crown is not carbon. It is common to see what look like cracks at the joints. With anything on a bicycle if you dont know that it has been crashed and Motobacane are mostly if not all mail order bikes you don't know who assembled the bike. Maybe get rid of the fork. I see thousand and thousands of carbon forks a year. Failure can happen. I am 200lbs and riding a full carbon fork and steerer. If this fork is on my main bike after 3 years I will replace it or move it to my winter bike. I think that would be a safe good rule for any rider. I have seen front impacts on carbon forks show no sign of crash. When buying used beware.

Carbon fiber does not have a 'gradual failure' method like steel does. When it goes, it goes catastrophicly. To my way of thinking, carbon forks started showing up on bikes for two reasons, to mitigate the harshness of aluminum frames and to help cut weight in steel frames. I sympathize with the former reason, but as to the second one I ask 'Are you going to carry the bike or ride it?'
Motobecane - I had a real one in the seventies, made in France. Nothing could be made to fit it due to the weird French sizing system for component attachments.

Originally Posted By: bubbalong
I don't think it there is a life time warrenty on the fork?

The bike was a BMC team bike. He rode (he's on a different team now) whatever BMC wanted him to ride. I do think they gave him forks with an Al steerer after the second time. he was pretty banged up. He is a sprint and crit guy so he rides HARD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back