Tour Of California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they even showing it on VS.??
If so, I keep missing it!
frown.gif

Hi,
Tom it is the same here in Australia

It has been this way for at least the 54 years I have been a cyclist - as an Amateur, Professional and in Recreational use

If it hasn't got a ball to kick or put through a hoop, water to splash in or it doesn't make noises like motorbikes and cars then to many people it isn't a "sport". Sad that!!!!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
cycling in the US is sort of like soccer in the US. lots of people do it as an amateur sport but nobody seems to follow it as a professional sport. the response to this topic seems to prove it.

I enjoy bicycling as a recreational activity. I do like watching freestyle and BMX. I'm just not interested in bike racing at all.

Part of the problem here in the U.S. (at least for live, at the event, spectator viewing) is that most of our populace HAS TO be able to see the WHOLE event at all times (i.e.; NASCAR ovals, boxing, ALL of the 'stick and ball' sports, etc.), or they lose interest instantaneously due to VERY short attention spans/lack of immediate gradification.
This also explains why automotive road racing is not more popular here.
Whereas in Europe, they will sit for hours to see a pack of riders (major stage races, classics), or individual cars (World/European/National Rally Championships) pass by.
I'm guessing that they are MUCH MORE patient peoples than us??

One would think that with all of the speed, crashes, action, AND being able to see everything at all times, bicycle TRACK racing would have a chance of catching on here?
Like it did from the turn of the (19th to 20th) century (when it was actually MORE popular than BASEBALL, believe it or not!!!) to almost the start of WW2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back