Quaker State Synthetic VS Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi you all,

I just saw on TV the Triple A 500 from Fontana CA and noticed it was sponcered by "Q". Since I'm a fan of Mobil 1 oil in my car/truck I was wondering how the "Q" stacks up against M1. I use the 5W-30 grade.

Anyone used this synthetic oil in your cars/trucks and what do you think??? If responces are favorable I might try it in my truck the next OCI.

Durango

I had a UOA with Q synthetic in my Solstice, and after a 5,000 mile run, they said the engine looked much better than average. It was a solid UOA.

I used it because I bought it 2 for one. I'd do it again, if I saw it for that price. It can't be too different from Pennzoil Platinum. I'm running M1 right now, so I'll do a UOA at some point and see how it looks.

Hi,
Durango - Why change a good thing?

With M1, ExxonMobil uses the very best base fluids and etc (after all they "on sell" many components to most of the other Blenders and some Majors too) and it could be argued they keep the best for themselves!

IndyFan - One UOA does not tell an engine wear story but at least it is an indicator of the lubricant's condition

Last edited:
I will say that Quaker State Synthetic is by far the best oil I have used. I have used alot of brands but, all gave serious engine noise especially with winter start up. Still have a bit with Q synthetic but, nothing near what I was getting from oils like Mobil, Castrol, Havoline etc...

Hi,
Rob Taggs - I believe that Quaker State use a variant of the XHVI base fluid developed by Shell in the early 1990s. It is a great fluid, Shell has always been one of the leaders in the development of advanced hydrocracking processes

I still use Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 in some engines and have done so since the XHVI product was developed - for about 14 years (initially as 15w-50). IMHO it is a much better base fluid than some that Castrol has used in the past

It has always seemed a more viscous lubricant (with XHVI) and because of its base fluid structure it certainly is quieter in some engines than M1. I believe that M1's base structure is more advanced and can be more easily tailor made for their individual products

There is no "best" lubricant

Hi yu all,

I was curious I admit as to how well this oil was made compared to M1. The price per quart is slightly lower at my local PEP BOYS and since it's a synthetic like all the rest on the market I figured some day I should try it and see. Usually my second is Valvoline synthetic but now a days like all petroleum is so high I need to begin saving a few cents.

Some day I won't have to worry about all this stuff. I've noticed a trend of synthetics being used more often.

Durango

I actually just posted this exact same topic a few days ago... click HERE to see.

I came to the same conclusion... its probably as good or better than Mobil 1, so why not use it if its cheaper? I've decided after all this time being on these forums, that its really all the same stuff, lol.

BennyL,

Thanks for your posting. I did read your past postings regarding the diffierence between the "T and the H" variant.

Still my real heart belongs to M1 BUT with the high cost of gas here in California/Los Angeles I admit I have been thinking about jumping ship for another brand. For a backyard mechanic like me I figure any synthetic will suffice in my regards/issue.

Gas price here is pushing over $3.50/gallon!!! Mannnn! That Shell gas is ridulous for that price. I'll take Arco any day.

Durango

oh, and by the way, since i bought this Q-Horse stuff, i actually can't wait to give it a try, lol. i'm quite excited about it. i think i'm going to like it!

Doug said, "I believe that Quaker State use a variant of the XHVI base fluid developed by Shell in the early 1990s. It is a great fluid, Shell has always been one of the leaders in the development of advanced hydrocracking processes."

I'm a fan of the XHVI base also. I believe SOPUS uses it in the PP.

Doug, QS synthetic in the U.S. has gone thru relabeling over the past few years. It started at Q-Advanced then went to Q-Torque and now extended last year to Q-HorsePower. (Both are offered but I only find Q-HP in 10W30.)

An ex-Penzoil guy, Johnny, said the QS base was less than that of PP. I think historically it may be Korean S-Oil Grp III < I don't remember why I think this..>

BUT this may have changed in Q-HP as it is said to be Ferrari approved (yea, likely the Helix base) at least for 10W60 and maybe 5W40. Spec's are better across the line with Q-HP vs Q-Torque similair to PP. I'm running some Q-Torque 10W40 in an old 911 with slightly less consumption than 20W50.

M1 on the other hand has also gone thru changes but the 0W40 European is still the most spec'd in the world. M1 10W30 HM is also a standout (A3 rated). In U.S. we can get most M1 oils discounted in 1 gal jugs BUT not the 0W40 which make me think it's different (more costly brew).

So it depends (QS synth vs M1) on the specific product. This can change in different regions of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back