RLI and AMSOIL in NASCAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read where RLI is involved in NASCAR with success. Is AMSOIL used in NASCAR? Anybody know? Just curious.

Quote:

Is AMSOIL used in NASCAR? Anybody know? Just curious.

Not NASCAR (yet AFAIK), but many other forms of racing. Nascar is mostly Mobil 1 (64%), and custom Pennzoil/JGR etc. Not the Walmart M1.

Quote:

I've read where RLI is involved in NASCAR with success. Is AMSOIL used in NASCAR? Anybody know? Just curious.

Can we see the solid reference where RLI is used in NASCAR?

To my knowledge, no NASCAR cars have Amsoil stickers. Here's just a SMALL sampling of Amsoil race involvement: Amsoil Race Teams - but there are many other racers using the products as well.

Who cares who sponsors what product? It's nothing but marketing. You don't believe the PGA golfers really eat Nature Valley granola bars (their sponsor) for better performance?
wink.gif

[Can we see the solid reference where RLI is used in NASCAR?]

Well excuse meeee.
spankme.gif
My mistake ASA not NASCAR but the motors are close if not the same 8,500rpm red at 9,000 same type of motor in those days and a 358ci chevy at that!
I'll give my fingerprints too!

Renewable Lubricants Inc. March 1, 2004
Mr. William W. Garmier, Vice President
476 Griggy Rd, N.E.
Hartville, Ohio 44632-0474
Dear Bill:
Thanks for the interest in Volunteer Performance racing team, since 1999 our racing program has done
nothing but move forward in performance and reliability.
In November 1998 when we were first introduced, I will admit that a vegetable oil based product seemed
impossible. Then we tested the biobased lubricants in the shop, then on the track and with your willingness
to follow my leads and suggestions the tests were a complete success. I felt totally confident with you and
your products. Some of the tests included a Superflow Dyno 3 day engine session on a 358 Cubic Inch, 18
Degree, and 9.1 CR testing at RPMs of 5000 to 8500. Once we arrived at the track we installed the vegetable
based oil and proceeded to run the next series of testing, 25-50-125 laps ranging from 5000 to 8500 RPMs.
During the first 25 lap session, driver Gary Helton noticed by closely monitoring the oil pressure and
temperature gauges the significant raise in oil pressure (15 PSI) and decrease in oil temperature (30 Degrees).
This pressure and temperature held true through the remainder of the laps at 411 Motor Speedway. With this
many laps on the engine I traveled back to the shop, disassembled the engine an inspected all bearings, valve
train components and cam roller lifters (which I have found in the past take most of the wear and tear and
have seen trouble when using synthetic oils). Problems were eliminated with RLI Super High Performance
Racing Lubricants.
At the end of my evaluation, I found no scuffing or gaulding of any kind and was completely satisfied and
ready to take on the 1999 racing season with your products.
The Volunteer Performance/Volunteer Chevrolet #44, along with Gary Helton behind the wheel, set a new
track record at our first Southern All Star race and claimed the pole position in the Early Bird 100 held in
Birmingham, Alabama. From that point on the season and race car were flawless. As I performed routine
maintenance (valve springs, valve guides, roller lifters and engine bearings) on the engine, I discovered less
wear and fatigue. For example, the engine bearings that I currently use are a Teflon coated type bearing (rod,
main and cam bearings), normally the Teflon is either worn off or at least 75% of the coating still remained.
In addition, the roller lifters that normally show scoring by 400-600 laps, again by using your products, at the
end of 800 laps there were still no signs of scoring. As the season progressed the Volunteer
Performance/Volunteer Chevrolet #44 claimed 3 other pole positions, several top 5 positions and 2 event
wins. When it was all said and done #44 completed over 3000 laps and secured the 1999 Southern All Star
Super Late Model championship.
I have found that your Biobased Engine oil is the best lubricant thus far. We are now using RLI Biobased
Lubricants in the engine, transmission, and differential with great success. I am excited and feel fortunate to
be pioneering light weight Biobased lubricants for the racing year industry with you and your company.
Sincerely,
Robbie White
Volunteer Performance Racing Engines

[Who cares who sponsors what product? It's nothing but marketing. You don't believe the PGA golfers really eat Nature Valley granola bars (their sponsor) for better performance?]

I was curious!

No excuse needed. RLI is tough stuff. But NASCAR is BIG BUX, and that for Mr. Mori is the name of the game. If RLI lubes were actually used in (or sponsored) NASCAR, we’d know it - some little bird tells me.

I wouldn't compare an ASA spec motor to a NEXTEL Cup motor, if that's what y'all mean.

ASA rules require the use of OEM high performance crate motors. Call your local dealer for pricing. Cost for a complete race car, including engine, is about $25,000 each.

For comparison, you could probably pick up a rebuilt Cup motor for around $75,000. An engine lease program for a full year of NASCAR racing could run $4 million or more.

Quote:

I wouldn't compare an ASA spec motor to a NEXTEL Cup motor, if that's what y'all mean.

ASA rules require the use of OEM high performance crate motors. Call your local dealer for pricing. Cost for a complete race car, including engine, is about $25,000 each.

For comparison, you could probably pick up a rebuilt Cup motor for around $75,000. An engine lease program for a full year of NASCAR racing could run $4 million or more.

Weren't me that said it...........

I wouldn't compare an ASA spec motor to a NEXTEL Cup motor, if that's what y'all mean. ASA rules require the use of OEM high performance crate motors. Call your local dealer for pricing. Cost for a complete race car, including engine, is about $25,000 each. For comparison, you could probably pick up a rebuilt Cup motor for around $75,000. An engine lease program for a full year of NASCAR racing could run $4 million or more.

Understood, I know there are different rules because I have looked at crate motors years ago. You're still about the same (sometimes) cubic inch size but lower hp, parts, etc.. just like the difference in the Busch cars and Nextel cars. But when it comes to oil they both take a punishment at those RPM's. The OP was clear as I was curious between AMSOIL and RLI history and if AMSOIL was involved in that type of racing you've mentioned.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Who cares who sponsors what product? It's nothing but marketing. You don't believe the PGA golfers really eat Nature Valley granola bars (their sponsor) for better performance?
wink.gif

My scores improved after snacking on Nature Valley granola bars.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Quote:

Can we see the solid reference where RLI is used in NASCAR?

To my knowledge, no NASCAR cars have Amsoil stickers. Here's just a SMALL sampling of Amsoil race involvement: Amsoil Race Teams - but there are many other racers using the products as well.

Stickers only tell you a money trail at that level. And where the endorcements are pointed toward.

What a team is actually using at that level, well, you'd have to find someone to tell you.

I would bet that you're looking a specialty oils that have a short life as it's not necessary to have one that's going to remain in the engine any longer than the longest race.

Over the past years, AMSOIL gear lubes were purchased in bulk by some of the race teams. And 5 gal buckets of unmarked products were picked up at the warehouses by race teams during the week prior to local Nascar races. AMSOIL won't tell, and the racers don't tell.

Don't know about recently.

Originally Posted By: jaredyost
Anything we hear will always be just speculation...

Speaking of pure speculation...
In tonight's race, during Waltrip's emergency oil refill before the start, I saw what appeared to be RLI being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back