Lifters tapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 07 Tacoma with a 2.7 with about 10,000 miles on it. I have been running Mobil One 5W30 Truck and Suv in it. The oil has about 5,000 miles on it now and lately we have been having some cold temps. When it is 20 degrees or lower, I start my truck and you can hear the lifters tick pretty loud for about 30seconds or so. It does not do this when its warmer out. I assume its because the oil is not flowing? I thought this was supposed to be a major advantage of synthetic oil? Would switching to a 5W20 or 0W20 help. I would like to pick one oil and stick with it year round. Thanks Bob

DOHC motors don't have lifters they are called lash adjusters and I don't think that's what's causing the sound at startup. If your car has a timing chain I would guess that's what it is.

Originally Posted By: 98LSC32V
DOHC motors don't have lifters they are called lash adjusters and I don't think that's what's causing the sound at startup. If your car has a timing chain I would guess that's what it is.

hydraulic lash adjuster = hydraulic lifter

different design, same purpose, same problems. if it's a loud, sharp, defined tick that stops like a switch was thrown, that is usually caused by dirty HLAs.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I also am thinking oil filter ADBV

Possibly, but a lame ADBV will show itself in warmer weather too.

Easy enough to find out. Spin on a new filter and see if it goes away. The mileage is right for a nitrile ADBV failure.

I'd tend to discount fouled lifters/HLA's due to the low mileage on the engine. I'd also doubt that M1 could be the problem unless he misread the label and got 5w-50 instead of 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: Bob123
I have an 07 Tacoma with a 2.7 with about 10,000 miles on it. I have been running Mobil One 5W30 Truck and Suv in it. The oil has about 5,000 miles on it now and lately we have been having some cold temps. When it is 20 degrees or lower, I start my truck and you can hear the lifters tick pretty loud for about 30seconds or so. It does not do this when its warmer out. I assume its because the oil is not flowing? I thought this was supposed to be a major advantage of synthetic oil? Would switching to a 5W20 or 0W20 help. I would like to pick one oil and stick with it year round. Thanks Bob

I'm no expert, but from what I've read and seen, it appears some engines just make noise with certain oil/filter combinations.

I'd go back to the OEM filter and try a different oil. Perhaps either Superflo dino or pennzoil dino in 5w30, or pennzoil platinum 5w30 if you want to stick with a synthetic, and go from there.

Having said that, a little lifter noise on start-up is likely not anything to be overly worried about, but i know it is annoying especially in a new engine with such low miles.

People always suggest going back to the "factory" filter, but in my experience with Mazda engines the filter that comes on the car isnt built any differently than a 6607 can I can buy off the shelf. I even cut open the original filter from my 1990 626 and it looked almost identical inside.

I have an 07 Tacoma with a 2.7 with about 10,000 miles on it. I have been running Mobil One 5W30 Truck and Suv in it.

That's all I had to read! There was a guy that posted on here not too long ago with a Toyota Tacoma that had been running Maxlife 5W-30. He decided to give M1 5W-30 a try. Noisy! Drained the M1 out and went back to Maxlife. Shhhhhh, quiet.

I've read cases like yours many many times on this fine board Bob. There's nothing wrong with your truck; you just need to drain that garbage out of your engine and refill it with a quality oil that will make your engine run smooth and quiet like it should. Try some Maxlife 5W-30 and a Toyota filter.
thumbsup2.gif

if it were the ADBV or dirty HLAs, the problem would be there summer or in frigid winter cold starts

probably just the cold loose cam and balance shaft chains, they rely on a oil pump pressure hydralic tensioner to stay tight with no chain noise. the tensioner takes time to fill, cold = longer

double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder 2TR-FE engine. the VVT also uses oil pump pressure to set the VVT, there is slack in this system until oil pressure comes up.

a low viscosity 0w20 full synthetic may help in cold winter starts to lower top end noise

let us know what your results are.

track UOAs until 30k for abnormal wear. there may be an out of tolerance part

I'm using a BT223 Baldwin filter.

That's your problem right there. I experienced the same thing with my GM vehicle - Baldwin filter last winter. Put the OEM back on - then the sound will disappear.

I purchased four for my GM. I threw the remaining three in the garbage. Purchased them online - live and learn I guess. Too much hassle shipping them back to the store that I bought them from.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: posty
Is a good idea to run max life in such a new engine?

Sure. Its a great synthetic blend at a great price.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to change the oil and filter and see what happens. I would like to stick with a synthetic oil,I think I may switch to Amsoil, either the 0w20 or the 0w30, it doesn't look look like they offer a 5w20? Would 0w20 be okay to run in the summer months that are coming up? As far as the filter should I use Amsoils or just get the factory one? Thanks Bob

Would 0w20 be okay to run in the summer months that are coming up? As far as the filter should I use Amsoils or just get the factory one? Thanks Bob

You can use the 0W-20 in you truck if you want to, after all, it is your truck; but just remember: noise is ALWAYS a symptom of wasted energy.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to change the oil and filter and see what happens. I would like to stick with a synthetic oil,I think I may switch to Amsoil, either the 0w20 or the 0w30, it doesn't look look like they offer a 5w20? Would 0w20 be okay to run in the summer months that are coming up? As far as the filter should I use Amsoils or just get the factory one? Thanks Bob

If you really want to establish root cause, change either the oil or the filter, but not at the same time. Inquiring minds want to know......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back