What oil for 2003 4.7 V8 Toyota 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Quaker State 5w 30 dino for 3000 mile OCI and currently have just over 10,000 miles on the truck. I do a lot of short trips 6.5 miles one way to work and a few short runs on the weekend. I am looking for advice on what oil to use on my 4.7 V8 Toyota 4Runner . Owners manuel recommends 5W 30.
cheers.gif

Thanks,

Dennis

German Castrol Syntec (GC) 0W-30. Avaliable at Autozone for $5/quart. Mobil 1 is also a good value at $4/quart.

Motorcraft 5w 30 if you are going to stick to a 3k mile oci. available at walmart for 1.42 a quart, stick to the Toyoat oil filters.

Well 5W30 dino is ok but you would be better off with a synthetic 5W30,10W30,5W40 or 0W40. Toyota's have shown excellent results with all of the above weights of M1 Synthetic oil. The 4.7 is a great engine and shows excellent UOA results. Toyota's tend to be hard on an oils TBN, Oxidation resistance and shear stability.

If you have you heart set on a dino oil in this consider a good 10W30. I would recomend Havoline, Chevron Supreme, or MotorCraft SuperDuty Diesel 10W30 wich is SJ and CI-4 rated.

While it is true that your Passport to Maintence book and owners manual recomend 5W30 they also say that 10W30 can be used as well.

My Mom's Tundra gets M1 15W50 in the warm months and M1 10W30 in the cold months. Her Tundra runs like a top!

P.S. If you do decide to stick with dino please stay with the 3000 mile oil change interval. Toyota's dop not do well on 7500 mile oil change intervals and dino 5W30!!

I've had great results with M1 in the same engine in my wife's Sequoia. I posted that UOA here back in June. I currently have GC in this vehicle, and if anything, subjectively, it's even smoother than it was on M1. I'll be doing a UOA on that oil in a few weeks.

I run 5W-30 in my 4.7 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer. Last summer I used Schaeffer 15W-40...I'm awaiting the results of an oil analysis.

You can get better oil than Quaker State. Pennzoil is one, Chevron, Castrol.

My take on the quality ranking of Shell's motor oils is:
1) Pennzoil
2) Shell
3) Quaker State
4) Wolf's Head.

Ken

Just about any oil will work well with that engine's sump capacity and Toyota excellect engine design.

If you must stick to the 3k intervals, then almost any oil(preferably API SL/GF4) spec will work great. With many short trips, I would think that time instead of miles might also be a consideration.
Using a synthetic with a 7.5k interval, or at least every 6 months, might be less of a hassle than changing the mineral oil every 3 months.

Wallyworld has the motorcraft 5w30 extremely well priced. Plus, they also have motorcraft fitlers(I've used the FL400s in Tundras and Sequioas).

Go with M1 synthetic. It stands up really well to the very short trips in my mother's car, and produces really great wear numbers in my father's toyota.

In MD you could go 5 or 10w-30 with confidence. Id probably choose 5w- since you have a lot of cold startups.

JMH

My wife's Seq gets awesome results with Mobil 1 10W30 in Florida, utilizing a 7500 mile OCI. She drives 25 miles to work one way and it's a 40/60 mix of city/highway. The results have been so good on mine and every other UOA done on this engine, that I decided not to do another UOA for a long time. I suspect the engine will far outlast the rest of the truck... which is fine by me.

My Seq UOA

I have some Castrol Start-up 5W-30 I am going to use before switching over to a synthetic. I have found Castrol 0W-30 Black label, but made in USA at my local Autozone is this the same as GC? I am also considering sticking to a 5W-30 weight as my manual recommends, but in synthetic forum what do you think? Mobil 1
cheers.gif

My first round of synthetic oil was done with Mobil1 5W30; I switched to 10W30 because with year-round summer in FL, the lower weight oil is not needed... that, and it was the recommendation from the board members.

But as you can see, the UOA results from both weights do not show any discernible differences... they both do a **** of a job. I also like Mobil1 because it is available everywhere. I've also been using a Purolator Pure One oil filter, but the Premium Plus or OEM filters should be more than adequate as well.

ekpolk should have a GC UOA posted up pretty soon, so if the numbers look as good as the M1, you'll have a second option to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back