Finally an open wheel merger??

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all three of us on BITOG interested in open wheel, this looks as close as it's ever been for an IRL/Champ Car merger/consolodation/buyout, whatever you want to call it. After being let down over rumors the past 7 or 8 years, I'll believe it when I see Paul Newman & Tony George singing Kumbaya around a campfire.
smirk2.gif

Sausage

I wonder if they will mandate spec engine/tire manufacturers, or will they let there be the competition between mfgs. be open and free (like everyone rants/raves about)???

It's hard to say. Honda ran Toyota out of town a few years ago because they kicked their arse pretty good. In the same context, Dallara won the chassis war over G-Force, and Firestone won the tire war over Goodyear. In Indycar, if you can't compete with who's on top, you just quit instead of working harder to better your product. I'm afraid the good old days of the Indy 500, where inovation was just as important as the race itself, are long gone. I vaguely remember back in the 70's or 80's a driver used a stock block V-8 out of a school bus. Can't remember if he made the race or not.

Yeah, they seem to be heading to a TOTAL spec type series (IF one thinks that they are not there already!!), just like NASCAR.

This is sad. I'd hate to see open wheel racing in this country become just a 'cult of personality', with NO innovation, or engineering R&D competition like some other series.
frown.gif

I don't like driver's series racing. It's boring. Everyone parades around in the same car. I would rather that an open wheel series gave a min weight, a spec tire (for safety), good set of safety regs and a restricter plate, bar exotic materials and let them go racing. You could build any size car you want with any engine. This would be an alternative to copy-cat-car racing and would put some excitement into the race. I would call this a designer's series. You could tell the cars apart without having to depend on the paint scheme and numbers. Cars would pass each other in different parts of a circuit because they perform differently. The winner of the race might be the car that combined everything into one race not just the car that got the best fuel mileage. It would be easy to update the rules to support bio-fuel or regen-braking because everyone is developing their own car and you don't have this overwhelming resistance to change because everyone has to agree or nothing happens. I'd buy a ticket and travel to see one of these races. The idea could also be extended to sissy cars (with fenders), too.

Originally Posted By: BarkerMan
It would be easy to update the rules to support bio-fuel
I believe 100% ethanol(which Indycar runs) qualifies as a bio-fuel.However the merger happens,it's going to happen soon. Kalkoven is a joke and you will soon see people jumping ship for Indycar.

I don't like driver's series racing.

I too would like to see a series that wasn't spec racers. It been tried before though with cars with fenders. The CanAm series. And though the cars were incredible the series failed...

Originally Posted By: jsharp

I too would like to see a series that wasn't spec racers. It been tried before though with cars with fenders. The CanAm series. And though the cars were incredible the series failed...

When was Can Am ever like a spec series??
Near the end when it seemed that everyone was running Shadows with BBCs???

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I was thinking the same. IIRC, Can Am died when Porsche came to the series and outspent and outengineered everyone. The problem with Can Am is one mfr always dominated. First it was Lola, then McLaren, then Porsche. When Porsche pulled out, the series was mostly done. McLaren bailed when Porsche started dominating; it was no longer fun so instead of spending more money, they went to F-1 and dropped Can Am. In the end Shadow was left but their wasn't much of a series remaining.

People keep saying they want an unlimited series but Can Am is proof that the concept doesn't really work. F-1 is an anomaly and cannot be compared to anything but itself. Today with all the technology in racing, you couldn't have a reasonable unlimited racing series. Who would pay for it? Who would sponsor it? A company like Toyota would come along, spend zillions of dollars, win races and championships, then leave when they got bored or something else came along.

Nope....... the days of an unlimited big time racing series is over. If money and wins are unattainable by little guys with small budgets, no racing series can survive for long. You need the guys who love the racing and series so much, they'll do anything to stay in it. Never ever depend on Corporate America to keep your sport alive.

CanAm was never a spec series. Read what I posted.

Bretfraz got it and sadly I believe he's right. There isn't room for an unlimited racing series anymore. And given history there probably never was.

So we're stuck with spec racers running in a drivers series...

CanAm was never a spec series. Read what I posted.

Bretfraz got it and sadly I believe he's right. There isn't room for an unlimited racing series anymore. And given history there probably never was.

So we're stuck with spec racers running in a drivers series...

Yes, you're right.
I'm sorry I mistook/misread what you wrote.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
People keep saying they want an unlimited series but Can Am is proof that the concept doesn't really work. F-1 is an anomaly and cannot be compared to anything but itself. Today with all the technology in racing, you couldn't have a reasonable unlimited racing series. Who would pay for it? Who would sponsor it? A company like Toyota would come along, spend zillions of dollars, win races and championships, then leave when they got bored or something else came along.

YES, EXACTLY like they did with the IMSA GTP series/class, even though it was not necessarily 'unlimited'!
frown.gif
mad.gif

I guess this is also what people are worried they will do in NASCAR as well, again, despite it not being unlimited.

Last edited:
Now that NASCAR has essentially self-designed a spec car, they are no longer reliant on massive amounts of automaker's cash to support their teams. As long as NASCAR maintains their sponsor-friendly attitude, the automakers can come or go.

It would be better for the series if more mfr's were involved, if only from a PR/advertising position, but I don't think a pull out of a brand or two would kill the series. Toyota has proven over and over on a global scale that relying on an automaker to validate and grow your racing series is cancerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back