Oil for 2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500 3.0L 6-cyl Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to change the oil on my Dodge for the first time and wanted to know if anyone here has some recomendations for me.

Looking in the manual I am required to use an oil that meets the Mercedez_benz spec oil sheets MB228.51, 229.31 or 229.51. Personally I do not know what these are, hence my request on this forum.

I live in Utah and have cold winters so I would like to go with a thin winter weight and also want better gas mileage so want to go with a thin operating temp weight also. I am thinking a 0W-30 or a 5W-30 oil.

The manual gives this warning for the diesel "Never use any amount of engine oil for the diesel engine that does not conform to MB 229.51 or 229.31 specifications. Otherwise the diesel particle filter (DPF) could be damaged."

Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Last edited:
Wow - 3 answers from the same poster - Thanks.

I looked at the link on the 0W-40 and it has these certs.

Mobil 1 0W-40 has the following builder approvals:
0W-40
MB-Approval 229.3 X
MB-Approval 229.5 X

I need the 229.31 or 229.51. It says in an emergency I can add 1 qt of 229.3 or 229.5 but ONLY 1 quart max can be added.

The 5W-40 has the Mercedes Benz 228.5 X - again - not what I need.

Thanks Johnny - and I appreciate the welcome!!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Last edited:
Mobil 1 ESP. You can get from avlube in ohio or maybe at the dodge dealer.

edit: apparently someone beat me to it.

Last edited:
Ended up going with the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40.

Dodge recommends 10k OCI on this vehicle - I did the change at 10k and the oil was tar black. I am talking VERY black. I think next time I will try an 8k OCI.

Thanks for the advice.

Diesel engines turn the oil much darker, due to the soot in the oil. The only way to prove that the OCI is too long is to send it to an oil analysis lab.

Was that your first oil change? Usually the first one you should do at 500-1000 miles. Diesel oil will turn very black in some engines. You should see our '83 Benz 240D. No matter how many times you change that oil, it will still be pitch black, even right after an oil change. It's normal. My Cummins on the other hand never really turned the oil black. After I added a Frantz bypass, my oil is now amber colored every time I pull out the dipstick. It still blows my mind. You may want to consider that as well.

Originally Posted By: cmanser
Ended up going with the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40.

Dodge recommends 10k OCI on this vehicle - I did the change at 10k and the oil was tar black. I am talking VERY black. I think next time I will try an 8k OCI.

Thanks for the advice.

The Black oil is thanks to the new emmisions on the diesels. I have an '07 5.9 Cummins and the oil is Black about 2 minutes after I change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back