5W20 VS. 5W30 VS. 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
SAETemps.jpg

Wow. . . 10W-30 is good for -4F to +95F.
shocked2.gif

Xw20 weight oils only allow the Ford 4.6 Modular engine family to go a quarter of a million miles or even much more, often in taxi/limo-type service, with no oil-related problems. If the engine is designed for an Xw20, you do appropriate changes due to the conditions in which it is used, and the engine can outlast the rest of the vehicle.

byez - those Toyota V6s fire up and run well with thin oil. I got one too. Lots of good UOAs with Mobil 1 and other "thin" oils in the Used Oil Analysis section. One guru stated that engine is tough on sheering, but you're in a climate with pretty severe low temps correct? Maybe a 5w30 synth would fit the bill.

The reliability of the 4.6 or alot of other engines, has far more to do with the superior designs of the motor then the oil going through it. Alot of those taxi/limos are operated on 10w30(alot cheaper in bulk) or some even fleet oils, such as 15w40(we did this for years in PA without incident).Remember, cars generally run a thicker oil in other countries without any less reliability or problems. Lubrication problems are unussual, its usually the lack of oil or neglected oil changes that lead to problems. The cooling and fuel problems are much more common. Iam starting to believe that the manufactures run the 5w20 in their most reliable engines to get the cafe advantages. The troublesome designs seem to still spec 5w30 or in some cases even 10w30.

5w 30, 10w 30 and 30 are all limited at the 35°C. So this possibly indicates that consideration for this temp. limit is nothing to do with the oils long term stability but the preferance for the engine.

edit: Now I saw this chart multiple times. If this chart doesn't belong to the manufacturer I wouldn't be concerned much.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The reliability of the 4.6 or alot of other engines, has far more to do with the superior designs of the motor then the oil going through it. Alot of those taxi/limos are operated on 10w30(alot cheaper in bulk) or some even fleet oils, such as 15w40(we did this for years in PA without incident).Remember, cars generally run a thicker oil in other countries without any less reliability or problems. Lubrication problems are unussual, its usually the lack of oil or neglected oil changes that lead to problems. The cooling and fuel problems are much more common. Iam starting to believe that the manufactures run the 5w20 in their most reliable engines to get the cafe advantages. The troublesome designs seem to still spec 5w30 or in some cases even 10w30.

Agreed. The 4.6L is also not overpowered for its design. It burns very clean with minimal blowby, thus being very easy on the oil. Take the chrysler 3.5L for example, much harder on the oil, very powerful for its liters, and tends to shear the oil by 5k.

It really all depends on what the engine likes. With the price of fuel goin up, I truly think 10w-30 will become "old school" and with more public faith, 5w-20 will be the norm and 5w-30 will be the next best.

I myself still like 5w-30 and could go to 5w-20 but would like to see a few more success stories of it being just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back