Loose oil cap could cause problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier, which , as many know, has a metal oil filler tube coming up in front of the engine, with an intergrated cap and dipstick on the end of it.

On my car, this cap no longer scews down tightly to the top pf the tube - it is very loose, and although it doesn't come off, it takes no effort to unscrew it. It get a bit tighter when the metal is hot and the tube expands, but when cool, it barely feels like it is on.

Could this cause a problem with the crankcase 'sealing', and set of CEL's and stuff like that? I do manage to keep the cap closed, so no stuff is falling in there, it just feels like their is very little seal to the fit....

Indeed; especially if it has a MAF sensor. The PCV system could be sucking in air through the cap past the MAF sensor into the engine.

Happens all the time on message boards where I see people not sealing off the fresh air intake side of the PCV system and putting a breather filter in place of the PCV valve.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll look into replacing this assembly - might just fix my CEL that won't go out!

No Autozones in Canada - trust me, would have done that AGES ago if I could have. Cheapest I have found is a shop that will read it for $48...no 'freebies' up here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back