(Z)-Octadec-9-enylamine fatty amine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I just bought a quart of VW Part number G 070 726 A2 - the part number that is specced for MT fluid for a 2008 VW rabbit.

On the bottle, it explicitly states that it contains (Z)-Octadec-9-enylamine, as it has a warning not to get same on the skin. I did a quick search, and this is a fatty acid amine.

it is a molecule that looks like this:
112-90-3.gif

Background info is as follows:

PHYSICAL STATE clear to slight yellow liquid

MELTING POINT 17 - 27 C
BOILING POINT 348 - 350 C
SPECIFIC GRAVITY 0.813

VAPOR DENSITY 9.22

NFPA RATINGS Health: 3; Flammability: 0; Reactivity: 0
FLASH POINT 170 C
STABILITY Stable under ordinary conditions

APPLICATIONS:
Application of Fatty Amines

* Cationic surfactants (disinfectants, fungicides, germicide, leveling agents, hair rinse bases, wood preservatives, textile softeners, dyeing auxiliaries, ore flotation. pigment grinding aids. anticaking agents)
* Amphoteric surfactants and Amine oxides (antistatic agent, textile scouring agent, ingredient for low irritation shampoo, liquid detergent, foam booster, oil recovery agent)
* Corrosion inhibitors and asphalt emulsifier
* Dispersants, lubricants, water treatment agents.

Fatty amine products are used as a dispersing agent or internal/external lubricant for benefits in polymer production of to facilitate and stabilize the dispersion of solid compounding materials to enhance processability, to decrease friction and abrasion of the plolymer surface, and to contribute color stability and corrosion prevention.

Members of Fatty Primary Amines

* Octyl amine ( CAS RN: 111-86-4)
* Lauryl amine ( CAS RN: 124-22-1)
* Stearyl amine ( CAS RN: 124-30-1)
* Oleyl amine ( CAS RN: 112-90-3)
* Tallowamine ( CAS RN: 61790-33-8)
* Cetylamine ( CAS RN: 143-27-1)
* N-Tetradecylamine ( CAS RN: 2016-42-4)
* Cocoamine ( CAS RN: 61788-46-3))
* Hydrogenated tallowamine ( CAS RN: 61788-45-2)
* Alkyl(C16 and C18-unsaturated) amine ( CAS RN: 68855-63-0)
* Alkyl(C14-18) amine ( CAS RN: 68037-91-2)
* Alkyl(C16-22) amine ( CAS RN: 68037-92-3)
* Alkyl(C8-18 and C18-unsaturated) amine ( CAS RN: 68037-94-5)
* Alkyl(C12-18) amine ( CAS RN: 68155-27-1)

SALES SPECIFICATION

APPEARANCE: clear to slight yellow liquid

AMINE CONTENT: 200 - 215 mg/g

COLOR, APHA: 80 max

ALKYL CHAIN DISTRIBUTION:
C18 80% + C16 15% + C14 4% (Typical)

Last edited:
Oleylamine

RN: 112-90-3
MF: C18H37N
MW: 267.49848
bp (°C): 147 (p=2 torr)
mp (°C): 15 - 22
density: 0.81

whoops... I was interested in the fact that it actually explicitly listed a specific molecule that is utilized in the formulation, right on the label.

I guess the question is, given the uses of this compound, many of which are listed above, which do you think it is performing in a "75W" gear oil? How does this fatty amine compound compare to the current state of the art for the function it is being utilized for?

Thanks,

JMH

I'd say what Bruce said but add it is probably a multifunctional anti-oxidant/anticorrosion/friction modifer.

Current state of the art? No problems. Probably keeps the TAN stabilized while providing friction modification.

If all the qualified chemists are guessing then the stuff probably has no function other than to act as a dispersant for some active ingredient that keeps falling out of solution and collecting on the bottom of the bottle in shipment and storage. If it actually was a super-duper component of the lubricant package, they wouldn't name it.

I think it's like the chemicals in food packaging - anything that is important to flavor is a secret - preservatives are listed for all to see!

Last edited:
this came from an imported bottle of gear oil. The european requirements for disclosure may be significantly different from ours.

As mentioned before, it was just interesting that they actually listed the presence of a technical molecule used in the formulation. Besides, say, an aliphatic hydrocarbon, which could easily be picked up in a GC-FID analysis, I doubt that much disclosure of any sort of formulation bits and pieces are really given in most formulations.

JMH

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Add an oxygen to the carbon next to the N, and you get a psychoactive substance - oleamide.
Is that good ?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
And the question or comment is?
Chem 101 guess friction modifier or disperesant The molecule looks like my driveway.

I don't know if I should be impressed with all this chemistry data or doze off like I tended to do in my Organic Chemistry classes eons ago........

JHZR2 - Is that really the way the molecule looks or are there some lines missing? All the typing is really impressive, but curious how did you put the molecule in your posting?

JHZR2 - Is that really the way the molecule looks or are there some lines missing? All the typing is really impressive, but curious how did you put the molecule in your posting?

Originally Posted By: John K

Not that tough to post a jpg or gif image. Like most 2-D organic molecule drawings, this is very much simplified, no double bonds, no H's, no flexing, straining, etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back