Best oil for older engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this site, but what a wonderful source of information. I have a 1981 Jeep CJ7. It has the original AMC 304. I am getting ready to do MY first oil change, and I was wondering what suggestions you guys have. The engine has about 165,000 miles. Any help is appreciated. I have read so much stuff about different types of oil, now I can't decide which is the best option for me.

Thanks.

Amsoil 10W-40 either the XL or AMO versions. This assumes your not loosing oil anywhere. Don't worry about the miles on it, you can still switch to synthetic.

If you want to see what the inside of a 1977 Corvette engine running Amsoil looks like, check the photo section.

I am not losing any oil, but say that I was. What would that change from an oil standpoint? Pardon my ignorance to oil, but I am new to all of this TLC that older engines require.

I have some stuff at http://systems-engineering-associates.com/papers look under "avocation"
Originally Posted By: renegadeking81
I am new to this site, but what a wonderful source of information. I have a 1981 Jeep CJ7. It has the original AMC 304. I am getting ready to do MY first oil change, and I was wondering what suggestions you guys have. The engine has about 165,000 miles. Any help is appreciated. I have read so much stuff about different types of oil, now I can't decide which is the best option for me.

Thanks.

I would still look at the material on-line above. In my 42 year old supercharged Avanti, I do NOT use synthetics, not because it is bad for the car but it is hard to get one in the higher viscosities. What most of us with "classic" cars do, unless the engine was rebuilt to modern standards, is use 15w-40/40 in the summer and yearlong in the south, and lighter in the winter up north.
I am not losing any oil, but say that I was. What would that change from an oil standpoint? Pardon my ignorance to oil, but I am new to all of this TLC that older engines require.

After reading the link posted above, it brought another thought to mind. I have read about an issue with newer oils and cats. Is this only an issue if I am losing oil? Also I have read about problems with cam shafts. Is there any truth to either of these issues?

After reading the link posted above, it brought another thought to mind. I have read about an issue with newer oils and cats. Is this only an issue if I am losing oil? Also I have read about problems with cam shafts. Is there any truth to either of these issues?
all this and much more at the link.

Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 year round. If this engine has the original seals it WILL LEAK if a PAO synthetic is used.

Well it would depend on how much it was loosing. If its not loosing any then Amsoil 10W-40, if it is then Amsoil XL 10W-40

I would use Valvoline Max-Life in 10W-40 or an HDEO like Rotella or Delo in 15W-40 or 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: jarvk22
Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 year round. If this engine has the original seals it WILL LEAK if a PAO synthetic is used.

Why do you say that? I used synthetic on my 1998 Accord with over 300K and it never used or leaked any oil between changes.

I have been considering changing my oils and various lubricants in my 1988 k3500. So, I noted in the amsoil site they said not to use their synthetics for the axles because it attacks the rtv sealants in some of the old axles. So while I have seen that the issue of leaks is a myth, their may be some applications where it is not OK. I was very surprised, since I assumed the primary difference would be uniformity of the compounds (perhaps the additives). Anyway, sorry to be off thread a bit, but the leak issue is a concern with an engine with 188k on it.

I would personally go with a HDEO, maybe some rotella 5w40 (or 15w40 non-synthetic) Lots of antiwear additives (ZDDP) Protect that flat tappet camshaft man! I doubt you are worried too much about MPG in an 81 jeep. Stick with an xw40!

I have read so much stuff about different types of oil, now I can't decide which is the best option for me.
Thanks.

In my opinion the best bang for the buck is a heavy-duty 15w-40 diesel motor such as Shell Rotella; superior base oils and decent ZDDP/detergent levels.

However, with the winter they've been having in the mid-west try to get in 10w-30 weight, (it might be available in the Chicago area I believe).
If not, use one of the passenger car 10w-30 oils in the mean time and save the 15w-40 for the warmer months.

In my opinion the best bang for the buck is a heavy-duty 15w-40 diesel motor such as Shell Rotella; superior base oils and decent ZDDP/detergent levels.

+1

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
I have read so much stuff about different types of oil, now I can't decide which is the best option for me.
Thanks.

However, with the winter they've been having in the mid-west try to get in 10w-30 weight, (it might be available in the Chicago area I believe).
If not, use one of the passenger car 10w-30 oils in the mean time and save the 15w-40 for the warmer months.

Agree. I still recommend Penrite for older engines as it has a higher ZDTP content. The details are at the following link:

http://www.penrite.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=370&nav_cat_id=154&nav_top_id=60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back