Daytona 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's coming down for the races? I got tickets for the Craftsman truck races on Friday. Iam going to go early I got passes for the fan zone, Iam taking the wife and kids. I dont go to the 500, its too crazy, I can hear the cars from my house though. Just curious if anyone was going to the race.

I have always wanted to go since its only a few hours away, but I really don't want to deal with the overpriced hotel room, traffic and fans.

I'm hoping Earnhardt can pull out a win with his new team.

Direct TV has had a special on all week 50 years of Daytona.
I've really enjoyed watching it especially seeing the Daytonas and Superbirds running.

It seems some where around 1995 is when we started to see this consolidation of the cars into what we have today. One butt ugly car with decals to distinguish it from all the others.

I loved hearing Junior Johnson talking about how the Pontiac's (1961-1962) were so fast he couldn't keep up with them in his Ford. Some how he figured if he got right behind them and stayed close to their bumper he only had to keep the gas pedal down half way. That was when Junior learned about drafting.

Another driver was talking about how he ran out of gas and the pit crew didn't know it. He came down pit row and missed his stall and saw Junior standing down a ways with a gas can in his hand so he pulled into the stall and Junior (Now an Owner) dumped the can in and he took off onto the track. The official said to Junior you can't service another teams car. Junior looked at him with a puzzled look and said you mean that wasn't my car?

The Craftsman truck race isnt too bad as far as a crowd and is one of the better races, but like the rest, they are cutting back there horsepower, to make it SAFER, its racing its suppose to be dangerous, thats the thrill. Stockcar racing does need to get back to its roots, its getting, or is more like Indy racing everyday. They should make the makers run production cars with production engines and throw those molds away and get back to the basics.

with the greenies running around, todays stock car (stock factory production )racing would be for best distance run the quickest with a gallon of gas. Oh, and with the least pollution.
It would be a marketing blunder to everybody on both coasts.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The Craftsman truck race isnt too bad as far as a crowd and is one of the better races, but like the rest, they are cutting back there horsepower, to make it SAFER, its racing its suppose to be dangerous, thats the thrill. Stockcar racing does need to get back to its roots, its getting, or is more like Indy racing everyday. They should make the makers run production cars with production engines and throw those molds away and get back to the basics.

Danger isn't all that thrilling when cars fly into the grandstands. And I for one have no interest in watching a 4 cylinder Camry LE sedan in Boring Housewife Beige Metallic drive around Daytona at 86mph or however "fast" those sleds are.

Stockcar racing isnt that anymore its driver racing where you go to see your favorite driver pretty much run a different collor car. Wouldnt it be funnier, like the old days when you would go see Chargers with 5.7 Hemis racing Mustangs with 5.4s racing Camaros with 6.0 and such. The car makers would have to make a comparable model to be able to race the car. Of course the cars would be tweaked and roll cages added, but the point is that would be stock car racing, now all the car makers supply is the hood, roof and trunk.

This type of racing exists and flourishes. There's a lot more stock car racing happening in America than just NASCAR on TV.

That's probably the biggest tragedy NASCAR has created; its completely overshadowing local short track racing, dirt and asphalt. Millions of racing "fans" have no idea of the racing in their local area so it doesn't get supported. It's like the local short tracks never existed when in truth its the backbone of American motorsports.

Nascar has peaked. I do not think that they will pick up the younger generation and the peripheral fan is losing interest.

It is just not racing anymore.

I agree with salesrep, NASCAR has mainstreamed itself right into vanilla. It all started when NASCAR left ESPN and TNN. They went to the huge networks, then came rules changes and the "chase to the cup" top ten nonsense. Too much trying to draw in more and more fans and not enough honoring their heritage.

On a brighter note the "car of tomorrow" package made for some pretty good racing today.

Three thirty start. I can bet you they irritated more that just a few people. Everything I read said the starting time was two thirty. Next year I'll find something to do until three thirty.

Well, it's better than an illegal (and deadly) street race in Maryland. It's not as good as NHRA, though.

And in spite of the 3:40 p.m. (EST) green flag, they gave the fans what they wanted: a close race right to the checkered flag. Of course, that caution flag five or six laps before the finish made for a tighter field and a little more interesting restart.

Code:
Good lord, just get on with the frickin race! I'm watching it now..
crazy2.gif

And the commercials!!! Good grief!! Every 5 or 6 laps.
33.gif
Gimme a break!!

Great ending, tho.... Good to see ol' Newman win it!! A class guy.

Did anyone see any interviews with Jeff Burton after the race? I didn't nor are there any articles on NASCAR.com. If a similar situation occurred to anyone else at any other race, we would be overwhelmed with interviews and articles. After seeing other questionable things last year, this is starting the smell!!! My support of NASCAR since the 70's is now fading.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back