0W-40 in E 300TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 1999 E 300 Turbo Diesel and im going to put Mobile 1 0w-40, just like I put in my S500.... After the mobil 1 goes bye bye in both im going Schaeffers 9k 5w-40. I just want the members over here to say yes/no!

Hi,
Fleetdiesel - Yes M1 0w-40 is a good and valid choice for your E300TD. An alternative is M1 TDT 5w-40. Both handle soot uptake very well indeed
Both of these lubricants are at least the equal of Schaeffers products

Last edited:
the M1 0w-40 is a fine oil, but given the far more tailored chemistries that are better suited for diesels, why not shoot for a real diesel spec oil?

MB 228.x are very similar in most regards to 229.x, so I wouldnt think twice about using a decent 5w-40.

Those engines dont heavily load soot, so you can easily stretch well beyond 10k with an oil designed to load >2% soot.

JMH

But didn't M1 0W-40 have exactly the same specs as M1 0W-40 turbodiesel...different bottle ?

dont know anything about a 0w-40 turbodiesel... Im thinking 5w-40 delvac 1 or turbodiesel truck.

JMH

Hi,
M1 0w-40 is Approved by MB for use in this engine family

This lubricant is rated ACEA B4 which includes the DI Test (VW TDI) protocol. It will easily handle >2% soot and most likely consderably more

I have the same car in Florida and I run Schaeffer 9000 5W40. When the car was in Michigan I ran M1 0W40 in the winters only. Although, M1 0W40 is specified for this car, my 2003 Dodge Sprinter with the 5-cylinder TD and my Saab 9-5. Oil analysis results show that it shows high Al wear numbers and sheared more quickly than Schaeffers and Amsoil. I would use the M1 5w40 T&D instead of the M1 0W40. Lastly, consider AutoRX and watch the front suspension for rust through and call the dealer to see if the car has a recall on it, mine did.

PS: Take it out on your freeway and drive it hard once in awile...it likes that!!

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Delvac 1 and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck are the exact same oil in a 5W-40 according to XOM. Just different labels.

Good Post...;)

Originally Posted By: vmcboss
Although, M1 0W40 is specified for this car, my 2003 Dodge Sprinter with the 5-cylinder TD and my Saab 9-5. Oil analysis results show that it shows high Al wear numbers and sheared more quickly than Schaeffers and Amsoil. I would use the M1 5w40 T&D instead of the M1 0W40.

Just a couple of additional data points (conflicting with the above) on M1 0W40.

Vehicle is an '06 Dodge Sprinter with the OM 647 turbo diesel and I have only used M1 0W40 - except for one OC (the 2nd or 3rd mebbe ?) where I used M1 TDT 5W40.

1st oil analysis done with 117,579 on the clock, and 14,183 on the oil: AL showed 7

2nd oil analysis done with 133,541 on the clock, and 15,962 on the oil: AL showed 6

The above analyses were done by Blackstone (they listed the Universal Average for AL at 17) and included the following commentaries by them:

"Your Sprinter looks good, and we don't know if it could look much better than this, but heck it's worth a try." (in reference to my comment that I planned to install a bypass filter) "Metals are low, even though you're running longer oil changes (14,183 miles) than average (9900 miles)."

"This oil was in use longer than your first sample by almost 2,000 miles. ..... Wear metals read at or below universal averages, which are based on a 10,000-mile oil change interval. That means your Sprinter's diesel is wearing better than most of the ones we've tested."

On the second oil analysis, I added a Motor Guard bypass filter at approximately 2K prior to sampling the oil (at a little under 14K miles into the OC)

All oil changes (up to the point of the last one I did @ 135K) were extended beyond the normal 10K recommendation and were changed according to the Sprinter's ASSYST maintenance computer's oil quality monitoring. These OCI's generally ranged from 12K to 14K miles.

My current oil change (M1 0W40) has about 19K on it and I am awaiting the results back from Blackstone from a sample that pulled at around 15K miles into the OC. I will probably sample again at 25K or 30K into the OC if the UOA comes back looking good.

nice ones! That M1 0w-40 is doing its stuff in your engine. Given those results, I may try the 0w-40 in our 96 E300D. It runs 5w-40 TDT all the time now, but I have a lot of 0w-40.

I run a true diesel oil in my OM616 and 617 engines as they load soot a lot faster...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back