Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The capital gains is due quarterly, beginning April 15. The tax on the transaction is a bit over $150K, so even a few per cent helps.

If you need the money right now there really aren't a lot of choices. Maybe some in a CD, some in a MM.

Next would be laddered bonds, etc - but that's not guaranteed to not lose principal. Everything beyond on that adds way too much risk.

Why not buy some more property? In Arkansas, if that's the (cap gains?) tax, that must be quite the spread.

some of the MM funds at the brokerages arent terrible. I dont think there is much of a better option...

JMH

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Why not buy some more property? In Arkansas, if that's the (cap gains?) tax, that must be quite the spread.

Oh yeah, It will ultimately go back into real property, I'm just not really sure what way I want to go - it was undeveloped property that I sold; I've still got a few tracts of undeveloped property that are now starting to look pretty ripe for development, or I might replace it with another acquisition depending on what comes along. That's why I want to be able to get it PDQ if something good comes along.

I looked at the internet stuff and I'm not really comfortable with that. I think I'm going to talk to my local bank and see what I can negotiate with them.

Yeah savings and CDs are really shabby right now. Some of my CDs just expired and I had some moneys in savings. So I had a bunch of cash I didn't know what to do with so I paid off my car which was financed at 5.9%. I figured saving 5.9% beats anything else on my market right now.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I sold all my ETFs (DIA, QQQQ, SPY) on Monday morning. More than half in cash and paralyzed.

Odd. I try to sell near the top. Strangely, my shorts, ultra shorts and my regular ultras(long) were all up today.

I has a rough week and still ended up a little. I'm all in now. No cash left. Several Dividends coming in the next few weeks.

Sold CAT for a nice little +2 gain. Bought more NRO. I'm ~60% into high div stocks/funds. Think I'll leave it that way for a while. Up ~8% YTD.
12.gif

A week and a half ago I thought we were close to the bottom. But now I'm not so sure. The credit crisis is weakening and the bond insurers are teetering. Lots of hedge funds are shorting them. The real estate ultra short just started to go up again hard the last couple days. Hate to be doom and gloom, but I just don't know anymore. I bought a [censored] load of inflation index funds today. I figure that's where I'll hide out for a week or so and then reevaluate.

Originally Posted By: cmhj
Careful bears,

We could reverse very soon since this should be a wave 4 since my low call in mid-late Jan. However, if you're looking out a couple months shorts should be fine if I got the options read right.

Now it's buckle the seatbelts. Which way are we heading??

I think he's saying we're on a roller coaster and it's just getting going good. I've been scratching and scrambling and I think I'm good to go for the next 2-3 months.
whistle.gif

(I hope)...
27.gif

Spent some time studying the charts of about 7-8 averages. Seems to me if we bust much lower, we will have broken through statistical resistance limit. Enough so that we'll need to recalculate the limits. I know I'm not using the correct words, but it makes sense to my mind. I'm holding out my last fraction for that. I got money spread about everywhere right now......and I feel like Slim Pickens!

I dunno about resistance limits. The underlying assumption is that somehow the fundamentals are stationary which is probably true in the short term. So short term historic data is useful. But a lot of the problems in the current credit crises is caused by the collapse of complex derivatives which were valued with black scholes type models with parameters that were calibrated using historic data. Obviously, those parameters were wrong so I'm not sure we are in a stationary environment. I guess what I am saying is that I have NO IDEA what will happen in the next year or two because a lot of the assumptions used by these rocket scientists on Wall street were flawed (based on historic data). So short term, perhaps the resistance levels will hold. Long term, flip a coin. It might be a better predictor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back