Good online parts sources: Niagara Cycle Works OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I finally have a good bike and an old beater, what are some good online/web sources for parts, accessories, tubes & tires, etc? I've found several that look good, but one stands out(from what little I can see/find out)- Niagara Cycle Works.

Niagara Cycle Works has lots of stuff available on Amazon, or you can order directly from their website where they'll throw in free shipping for orders of $75 or more, & consistently seems to have the lowest or near lowest price, plus more choice than some others. They answered my emails within 24 hours, website easy to navigate with an absloute minimum of foofoo. And their choice of tires- especially in the 26x1 3/8 size for my ole Monkey Wards 3-sp beater- is excelent, with many choices at low prices.

Any reason to avoid ordering from them? I'd like a frame mount pump(Topeak Morphs in mid-hi $20's), plus a new-fangled bike "computer"(Niagara has the Planet Bike 9.0 for $15 right now!), maybe a new set of tubes & tires for the old beater(~$12 total), spare tube for the Trek(~$2), maybe a new saddle, a multi-tool would be cool, some other odds & ends- no problem getting that free shipping!
thumbsup2.gif

Are there others I should strongly consider? Nashbar & PerformanceBike look like good contenders, what about others? All info & input appreciated. Thanks
11.gif

Ive bought a lot of stuff from Performance Bike, Nashbar, and one other... forget the name now.

But when it comes to service, nothing mbeats my local shop. And with the install prices they charge, I save a lot of value in time, which kind of makes up for the price differential.

Would be nice if there was a mom and pop sort of shop that sold at discount over the internet... Im sure there is one, but Ive not found them.

JMH

Not really an option here, there are no *local* bike shops! Closest bike shop is over 30 miles away, they keep no bikes under ~$500 in the store, local bike riders I've talked to don't care for them very much. Next closes bike shops are are over 60 miles away, in 2 different directions. One of those at least is highly recommended, but I have no other business in that direction- though I might try to find some, & get "fitted" for a saddle with some special gizmo they're supposed to have!
grin2.gif
Thanks.

Niagara Cycle Works is a great place to order parts and accessories. Nashbar is another good online store too. Prices are reasonable and some stuff are below retail price such as lights. Another site you might want to checkout is BikeIsland, which has free shipping.

I myself like to buy stuff from a retail store because I can see it. I'll buy stuff online if I can't find it in store or better deal online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered some stuff from Niagara last month- no complaints here. Low prices, some off-brand stuff, but overall pretty good. I'd order again.

Thanks for the info, guys. I went to order from Niagara last night- and found: 1. The cheap tires had gone up- but not a dealbreaker. 2. Their email reply said they did not have the frame-mount pump I wanted- a Topeak Turbo Morph. Again, not insurmountable- could order a Road or Mountain morph instead, & they had those. 3. The deal on the Planet Bike Protege 9.0 was gone
smirk2.gif
(gettin worse!), and 4. The free shipping for $75 orders was gone too!
shocked2.gif

Hmm- so looked around some more, found BikeSomewhere, also selling on Amazon, free ship over $75 still on early this afternoon, no good tire deals on 26x1-3/8
frown.gif
, but good deals on a Topeak 13-function computer($14), on the Turbo Morph pump I want, on several multitools, wedge bags, & saddles too. And I need a saddle ASAP- finally got to ride some today, & within 3 minutes my b**t was hurtin' for certain!
grin2.gif
Whoever designed that factory saddle has a wicked sadistic streak.

I'll keep an eye out, & whenever Niagara has the hot deals again will probably get fenders, tires, & some other things from them.
And BTW- I can see already that learning to shift all these gears is gonna be- interesting, that's the word, interesting.
wink.gif

Thanks Bill. *Bargain Alert*- Nashbar.com has a sale that ends tonight, lotsa stuff marked way down. Late last night two things in particular caught my eye- a triangular frame bag, Nashbar brand, for $3.99(normally $20), & a pretty big expandable handlebar bag, also Nashbar brand, for $6.99(from $25). The frame bag seems like a good idea to me, & at $4, if it turns out to be a bust, no big deal.

So I ordered 'em, plus a coupla other small things- a bottle for my bottle-less bottle-rack
grin2.gif
, & a spare inner tube for the Trek.
I'm registered at bikeforums, but have never gotten any emails about coupons.

My *** is really sore today, even- maybe especially- the "tailbone" region
spankme2.gif
. Measured the old Monkey Wards saddle- 9-1/4" long, a little over 8" wide at its widest, and it ain't a *bit* too big or wide, wider would be better. So I'm gonna get a big Planet Bike cruiser model saddle, with coil springs & web springs- whatever they are(mebbe some kinda web lattice to try to imitate what real leather did so well?
21.gif
). Just can *Not* ride that nice blue near-new Trek again until I get something to sit on!
LOL.gif

ProBikeKit http://www.probikekit.com/ is excellent for consumables, drivetrain and clothing for roadies.

I try and support my 'local' bike store (320km away
wink.gif
)
but when I tore the derailleur off on the road bike (and the dropout and the driveside spokes) a few months back, I sourced the spokes, cables and hanger through my mates store, but the derailleur (Dura Ace) and DA chain + a Craft undershirt were delivered to my door from the UK cheaper than I could obtain the derailleur through the store here with a good discount.

When buying online, I get my cycling stuff from eBay, Performance, Nashbar, JensonUSA, and Universal Cycles.....in that order.

If you know what you want, and you're willing to throw warranty concerns out the windoow, eBay can't be beat. Otherwise the shops I listed are top notch.

If I ever need anything under $150, and I want it quickly, I ALWAYS go to one of my local bike shops. People talk trash about the shop I use most frequently, but they do excellent work at fair market price on parts & labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back