29er bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently heard of 29" wheel bikes on a bike forum. Always thought that 26" was the largest out there and is like the standard. I suppose it might be a little harder to find tires and tubes for those bikes. Must be sort of rare, I've never actually seen one before. Anyone here ride or have tried a 29er bike?

Supposed to be the hot set up. I guess they say it makes a big difference in rolling over stuff. I am still trying to get a 93 year mtn bike up and going.

I will see how I like mtn biking. If I do then I might consider a 29r bike in the future. I have never been on one.

not rare anymore...see here mtbr.com, look in the forums...there is also a 69er which is a 29 front and 26 rear...

I know several guys locally who ride 29ers. They seem to be a perfect fit for a tall and/or large guy. Not many advantages for a average-small size person like me.

a good bike shop will have them. not a big deal, really, just a wider 700c wheel. 700c is the road bike standard.
the marketing guys are always looking for something 'new'. problem is, the perfect bike was perfected many years ago, and a good bike doesn't need to be replaced all that often. so the solution is to come up w/ something new and improved to make you belive what worked for you before is now somehow inadequate. like any other industry.
funny, diamondback tried 700c wheels back in the early '90s, didn't catch on then. now they are doing it again.
mtn bike action mag years ago actually made a push for 25" wheels, go figure. cannondale also used to have a model w/ a 24" rear and 26" front. whatever. I ride my steel surly road bike everywhere, works fine.

The old mtn bike I am trying to get going is a 1994 Diamond Back Axis TR.

It came with 26' wheels. I should have it put back togther in the spring. This bike should be a fun project for me. I just need to get a truck out of the garage.

So I will get a chance to test out the 26" wheels. I have been on a 26" wheels on Trek bike, it was OK.

That will give me time to let the market run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back