Vista SP1 Due In March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stogiedude
Dude, you are sooooo predictable.

What I am going to do in 15 minutes?
grin2.gif

Well let me add a little spice. My friends and neighbors have Vista and it works great for them, too. Wireless networks, running home businesses, developing software, etc. They don't bee-atch about Vista at all.

Now would I pay money to upgrade an existing PC to Vista? No, that's just a waste of money.

Well I, like you Pablo, have found Vista to be a very good O/S with more useful features than Windows XP.

There is a remarkable amount of negative reporting on Vista, even from some people who normally are major Microsoft supporters. They talk like as if Microsoft is going to pull Vista from sale at any time.

I have run a lot of O/Ss. I have run Vista for about a year. There is nothing wrong with Vista. Within a relatively short period of time after I started to use Vista almost all of my software and hardware would work with it.

And Vista will be the immediate future. In a few short years most personal computers will be running some version of Vista. Microsoft is already developing another O/S and when it comes out it will gradually start to build up market share. And you can bet that new O/S will have many features from Vista.

Some people claim that there are some issues with Apple's new Leopard O/S. But you will have a hard time finding any discussion about that on the internet.

Some people have some complaints about Linux as a personal computer O/S. Good luck finding any information in that area on the internet. If anybody did try to discuss stuff like that they would be attacked.

Only attacks on Microsoft are allowed.

I will download the SP1 when it comes out for Vista. There is supposed to be more driver support, even better security, and Vista with SP1 is supposed to run faster.

I doubt very much that Microsoft is going to withdraw Vista from sale. All of these critics will be left behind in the dust when Vista becomes one of the most common or the most common O/S. The critics seem to think that Microsoft is going to go back to an improved version of Windows XP. The critics hate the UAC and apparently have never used a Mac which will ask for an administrative password also when you download new software. Well, the critics can enjoy the exhaust.

Pablo and Mystic, can you for a moment try to understand that many other people have not had the wonderful experience with Vista that you have had and that it is annoying to read your constant cheerful, rosy Vista praise?

Can you possibly imagine that there ARE some people out there who are experiencing problems and that they aren't morons or naive end users unfamiliar with using computers.

We aren't part of a huge anti-microsoft conspiracy.

I for one just want to use computers. I don't give a hoot about how they work or what operating system I use. I do care about cost and that is why I don't use Apple computers. That's also why I am considering Linux.

If MS products had less problems then there would be less people complaining about them, DON"T YOU THINK?

Do you honestly think that people just want to complain about MS for no good reason?

If MS products worked great all the time what exactly would people be complaining about?

This is so ridiculous I can't believe I'm wasting my time and the electrons on this.

Stoogiedude - I fully understand people have issues with every OS. MS certainly has more issues to be detected with their bloatware and HUGE market share. I protest MS regularly. The only time I buy anything from them is when I buy a new PC.
Again - I understand what you are saying - but on the other hand these vicious, constant attacks on Vista simply don't fit my world. This doesn't make Vista objectively better or worse, I'm just saying there are some people (and the list is growing everyday with new PC sales) that see Vista and like what they see - some of the pundits may need to eat their words.

I suspect that the PC manufactures are working very hard to make sure what they sell actually works with Vista..

When I bought my laptop it came with XP Media Center installed, Vista was just starting to ship, and it came with a free update to Vista for some period of time. I haven't looked into it so don't know if the offer still holds. Doesn't matter, I'm happy with what I've got, and I don't have any need to upgrade my other apps. I'm still using Office 2000.

Last edited:
Am a Linux user for the most part (about 98% of the time) although use Windows on occasion in a dual boot mode.

Have setup a couple of boxes with VISTA without issue. It even found all the legacy hardware with the exception of an old legacy HP Scanner. Quick visit to HP's web site - download and that took care of the scanner.

I also installed the pre-release version of service pack one on one system. Took quite a while - after installation it puts some text in the lower right of your desktop telling you it is not the final release and it it expires in June. Too it must be uninstalled before you can install the released version so I removed it.

Although I use the Gnome Desktop version of Linux based on Ubuntu most all the time, I find no issue with any other operating system.

If it works for your needs and you are happy with it, go for it!

I agree with what you say. People should use whatever O/S they want and that works for them.

I will speak here just for myself. I used Apple Computers for a long time. I still like Apple Computers. But they are expensive and I have no plans on buying a new Mac. I have heard of problems involving the displays for the new iMacs, MacBook Pros, and even problems running third party displays for the MacPro desktops. I have heard of problems with Apple's new O/S Leopard. I will stay with Tiger. No way I would buy a MacPro desktop. They are way too expensive. They make a computer powerful enough to easily run Windows Vista look cheap in comparison.

At one time I seriously thought about switching to Linux. I was lucky enough to find out about all of the hardware compatibility issues before I had a computer setup to run Linux. I did run a version of Linux from a DVD. Linux cannot do the job for me. I like photography and I like to work on photos-both digital and film photographs. I need equipment like scanners and photo printers. Another thing that really turned me off from Linux was the silly nonsense that passes for the truth at Linux websites. To me truth is not relative.

I will probably actually run two O/Ss-Mac and Windows. Actually I should say three O/Ss because I also run Windows XP on my Mac. Kepping my old iMac allows me to run Apple software and keep my old dedicated film scanner working. It will actually work in Vista but I like the way it runs on the Mac better. Vista has been out only about a year and my Vista computer will do everything I need except run my dedicated film scanner as well as my iMac does. I think that statement speaks volumes.

I personally think that Vista is a great O/S. It can do more than XP and I like the appearance and the better security. Some people who are having problems with Vista should realize that they can go back to the Windows Classic appearance. It has been my experience that some people who use Windows like a very bland appearance for their O/S. You can even shut off the UAC if you want although that is not recommended for security. You can get faster performance from your computer by shutting down some of Vista's graphics.

The SP1 for Vista is supposed to improve security even more, make Vista somewhat faster and reduce the number of UAC popups, and increase support for drivers.

I get very tired of all of the silly attacks on Microsoft just because hating Microsoft is 'in' and Apple and Linux get a pass no matter what. I am not a Microsoft super fan but whenever I see endless attacks on somebody or some corporation just because that is the current 'in' nonsense I get angry. If Vista was a total bomb I would be one of the first to say so. I have run Vista for a year with no major issues. In some ways I still like Apple better although I have not been 100% happy with an Apple O/S since the Classic 9.2.2 days.

There is no comparison between Windows ME (which was a bomb) and Windows Vista.

Over the next few years Vista will increase in market share. Most other personal computers will run XP or some other version of Windows. I don't know exactly what will happy with Apple but at least at the present time Apple is increasing market share. I can see Apple at 10% of the market although if Apple continues to release O/Ss like Leopard their market share may go down rather than up. I see no future for Linux as a personal computer O/S. It works for a few people and the vast majority of people give it a pass. I see Linux only on servers.

Does anybody have links to explanations of why the Vista architecture sucks?

So far, the big complaints I've heard are:
- "Aero" is resource-wasting eye candy (true)
- lack of drivers for 'legacy' hardware (doesn't this happen with every new OS?)
- UAC (big freaking deal, quit whining - turn it off if you don't like it)

As I see it, anything with APPLE stamped on it costs twice what I'm willing to pay and Linux is reasonably functional and fun to tinker with, but doesn't _just work_ the way a family machine must. I bought a new system with Vista pre-installed and have had no trouble. $70 worth of extra RAM and things have gone just fine. My M-Audio sound card had Vista drivers available online and none of the other old hardware was needed.

Win98 and ME (of course) gave me much more trouble than XP or Vista, so I'd say we're still going in the right direction. There was quite a hubbub about XP as a resource hog when it premiered as well.

I don't know what moribundman did to the 4th page of this posting. Hopefully somebody can repait it.

Even Aero can be changed in Vista to Windows Classic and reduce resource needs.

Like I said above most of my stuff worked within one year of Vista's release.

SP1 will provide even more driver support.

And people can shut off the UAC (although not recommended).

And computers get more powerful for less or the same money anyway so what is the big deal about additional resource requirements?

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I don't know what moribundman did to the 4th page of this posting. Hopefully somebody can repait it.

What about the harm you have done to my sanity? Who will repair that?
LOL.gif

Clearly the forum software can't handle a long scream. It's easy to avoid. Don't make me scream.

And you are right about Apple costing so much also. When I bought my Windows computer running Vista the only thing I added was a graphics card. It already came with 2 GB of RAM and a good size hard drive and it cost about a third what those new MacPro desktops cost. The only new Apple Computer I would be able to buy is an iMac. I do like Apple but why spend three times as much for what you can do for much less.

And while everybody is pointing out problems in Vista there is no discussion about problems in other O/Ss. They all get a pass as long as they are not developed by Microsoft.

A Linux O/S or an Apple O/S could come out and be a total piece of worthless junk and everybody would make some kind of excuse. They would all be saying-'Well, at least it is better than Windows.' They would say that the new O/S just needed a little bit of work and would soon be better.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
And while everybody is pointing out problems in Vista there is no discussion about problems in other O/Ss. They all get a pass as long as they are not developed by Microsoft.

If 96 out of 100 computer users have the Windows and Vista operating system, why would you expect an equal amount of complaints from the other four guys who use Apple, Linux etc?

54.gif

I don't understand the hate fest that Vista brings out in people.

I have experience with every Windows OS since 3.1, and Vista has run flawlessy on my laptop.

The only POS Windows OS that I've ever dealt with is Windows ME. ME was pure junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back