definitive penetrating oil study from Machinist's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got this on another forum. When I get time, I hope to run down this issue.

"The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and tranny fluid!

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio)."

Good info to know, sent out an e-mail to all my car fixin' friends. I'd be happy with a situation where I'd never need to know this....

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I'd like to see how they were able to make identical rust locked joints to break loose.

+1

You betcha it will eat plastic. I keep it in a metal can, and put some in a squirt can when I need it. Acetone will evaporate in a squirt can because it is vented to the atmosphere.

I have a bottle of acetone that came in a plastic bottle. Its been sitting on my workbench for a couple of years. Must be certain plastics that are immune to acetone.

Flip the bottle over, the number inside the recycle logo denotes the type of plastic. I think #1 and #3 are the ones that survive acetone.

Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back