beginner bike suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its like test driving a car when you get in and drive you pay attention to how it drives. Can't describe that feeling but at first glance one bike out of many catches your attention. Then when you ride, you note the feel and controls. Do you like the way the shifter operates, feel of the brake lever, the front shocks. Last but not least the weight, there are times where you carry your bike up stairs. Have fun test driving (I mean test riding) those bikes. Keep up updated.

When I got my bike (2000 Diamondback Outlook) it was the simplicity that caught my attention. Then when I rode it felt very solid and liked the seating and handlebar position of the bike.

The Hardrock has a little better components, especially the rear gears & hub. Also it's an 8 speed vs 7.
The TREK is more of a street bike with "mountain bike" gearing.
IF you don't have serious hills, ask the bike shop to change the rear gears to something a little more reasonable with a 28 tooth largest cog. You could probably get them to do the swap for free as a "deal maker". The TREK would be adequate for hard packed dirt/pavement, but I wouldn't expect it to handle jumps/curbs etc. very well for any extended time.

I think I posted the wrong Hardrock. The one that is in my price range that the shop has is a Hardrock XC so it's like the base model except from pictures the frame looks different than the regular Hardrock. It's actually this one if it makes a difference in the previous opinions. From what I can tell the components are comparable to the Trek but of course I can only read the names of the stuff. I went by the shop today but they didn't have one built yet for me to try out so I have to go back tomorrow. But I did try out a Trek 3700 and it rode pretty well. Have to see if I feel that big of a difference with the Hardrock. If I don't then I'll just see if the Hardrock looks better than the Trek to justify the extra $40.

That's a definite downgrade in the chain rings & rear hub!
Comparing the XC vs the "Sport", I think the extra $60 for the Sport would be easily justified.
ANY HR should have a very robust frame, but that's just part of the equation. The components make up the other part. IF you aren't going to "abuse" your bike, any of the frames should be adequate.
Again, IF you are basically going to ride on pavement, the TREK has more suitable tires/wheels.

Ok, I went and test rode the HRXC today and it felt pretty much the same as the Trek 3700 except the seat is slightly uncomfortable but the salesman said I could try to see if it breaks in after a few ride and if not I can go get a new one with a $6 credit. Lucky me the bike was on sale and the price difference between it and the 3700 was only $20. The salesman pointed out that the two bikes were pretty much comparable except that the HRXC's fork is a tad bit better and he seemed honest and helpful so I decided to get the Hardrock. Plus this shop has more perks than the Trek one. Three free tune ups and lifetime adjustments. Since it has quick release wheels I don't even need a car rack for now. Funny thing though that the lock that I got for is ten percent of the bike's cost. I'm used to the cheap locks at WM. I'm going for the first real ride tomorrow around the neighborhood.

Thanks for all your help guys! If I get obnoxious I might post a pic later.

Last edited:
I sure hope so.

here's a pic

00032.jpg

The matte black wasn't my first choice but it was the only color they had. I would have preferred the blue/silver scheme but the black really grew on me. I would have preferred gloss though since I'm the type that goes around putting wax on anything that has shiny paint. I don't think I have anything for matte though.

Nice. Those are nice tires, don't forget to check the tire pressure. I thought I was the only one that waxes bikes that have shiny paint. If you ride at night, get a light set. Enjoy your new bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back