Rotella T

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do the old bottles of rotella T look like, I want to buy the last of the good stuff before the additive cutbacks.

Originally Posted By: built
What do the old bottles of rotella T look like, I want to buy the last of the good stuff before the additive cutbacks.

Which Rotella?

Conventional 10w-30/15w-40 Rotella went to CJ-4 grade as of late 2006, you'll be hard pressed to find any in the previous CI-4 plus grade, unless it's old stock.
Full synthetic 5w-40 Rotella is still CI-4+ for the time being.

I didn't know the conventional oil went to cj-4 that long ago, I found some 15w40 old type bottles at a truck stop for 16 bucks a gallon and wanted to make sure of what it was.

I can't find any rotella T 10w30 oil anywhere.
Not even the syn around here.

what can i check on these older bottles to know if it's real old stock ?

I didn't know the conventional oil went to cj-4 that long ago, I found some 15w40 old type bottles at a truck stop for 16 bucks a gallon and wanted to make sure of what it was.

I can't find any rotella T 10w30 oil anywhere.
Not even the syn around here.
what can i check on these older bottles to know if it's real old stock ?

I wouldn't pay $16 a gallon for a 15w-40, no matter what it is.

Rotella 10w-30 has very limited availablity. Anyway, the difference between the two weights is minor.
If the weather gets that cold where you live use something else.

By the way, unless you're wanted by the law or something it would help to mention your location in the info box, "USA" is kind of vague.
12.gif

Shell Oil bottles usually have a date code stamped on them somewhere.

Quote:
Most all name brand oils have the specs it meets on the back somewhere.
Look for the API "donut" on the back. http://www.aa1car.com/library/api_motor_oil_classifications.htm
56.gif

On a related note, while continuing my quest to buy as much as I possibly can of the CI-4+/SL RTS 5-40 synthetic (I'm still not totally sold on CJ-4/SM in '90's era diesel equipment) before it's totally gone, I found some "new" jugs at Wally's. According to the donut, it's CI-4+/SL rated. I scarfed 'em up. Still haven't seen any of the CJ-4/SM RTS 5-40.

The old jugs were mostly dark blue, squar'ish in profile, with the handle more or less on the top - like this http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?site...ellasynth.html. The "new" jugs are still dark blue, but have some fancy white stripes on 'em, and are a more rounded profile, with the handle in the rounded part - kinda' like this http://www.shell.com/home/FrameworsiteId...intro_1006.html
although the one in that link is 15-40. The 5-40 jugs I got are blue where the 15-40 jug is white, and vice-versa. It'd be easier if I could take a pic of both jugs side by side. How do you post pics in here?
54.gif

Seems weird that the new 5-40 jug would be in stores before they have a picture of it on their site.
54.gif

I haven't seen any Rotella bottles in blue, just my luck.

I looked out of town at a wally world and found the regular rotella for 8.97 a gallon so i guess the truck stop is robbing the truckers.
I did see wallys had 5w40 in syn for 16.24 a gallon.
I read that syn oil may not be good for flat type lifters because they can't turn as well as regular dino oil allows, any truth to this?

Also found on another site that chevron 400 has more additives than Rotella ,any truth to this too ?

The blue Rotella bottles are the synthetic.

You can also look at TSC or any other local tractor supply store. The specs will be on the back of the bottle.

I haven't seen any Rotella bottles in blue, just my luck.

I looked out of town at a wally world and found the regular rotella for 8.97 a gallon so i guess the truck stop is robbing the truckers.
I did see wallys had 5w40 in syn for 16.24 a gallon.
I read that syn oil may not be good for flat type lifters because they can't turn as well as regular dino oil allows, any truth to this?

Also found on another site that chevron 400 has more additives than Rotella ,any truth to this too ?

What kind of additives?

Chevron has Boron and Moly- Rotella does not. But Rotella may have other additives that Chevron doesn' again- give and take. I have had great results with Delo- so that is what I use.

The Rotella bottles are easy to tell apart. The older variety is marked "Advanced Soot Control" The newer formulation is called "Triple Protection."

Personally, I'd look for the newer formulation. The additives aren't "cutback" in the newer stuff, the ZDDP is just lower and obviously has been replaced with other additives since Shell claims 1/3 less valvetrain wear with the new formulation.

I think I heard that the delo 400 had higher levels of zinc than rotella.

what does everyone know about syns being bad for flat tapet lifter and not being able to turn?

I think I heard that the delo 400 had higher levels of zinc than rotella.

what does everyone know about syns being bad for flat tapet lifter and not being able to turn?

One oil having more zinc than another does not make one oil better than another. The new low SAPS oils tend to have less zinc and phosphorus but have other additives to help with wear protection duties. I'm not convinced there is any reason to fear the new CJ-4 HDEOs.

The tappet issue sounds like one of the old myths about syns being "too slippery"-exactly that, a myth.

Yesterday I picked up 2 gallons of 5w40 in the new rounded bottle that's CI-4 plus. I've been thinking of giving it a try in my TLC and since these were the last two bottles on the shelf I figured it was fate (it takes 8 quarts).

Then tonight I stopped by Tractor Supply and lo and behold they had 4 gallons of the CI-4 in the old bottle. I've been in several times in the last few months and they never had 5w40 diesel, only 15w40. Maybe this location decided to add 5w40 Rotella recently and happened to get some old stock from the distributor. Weird.

Now I'm debating whether to pick up the old stock or buying the CJ-4 when I need it again in a few months. Decisions, decisions...

Scarfed up 4 gallons of CI-4+ RTS 5w-40 this AM at Wally's, to add to my stock. Yes!!!
banana2.gif

I'm in the "let's wait a couple years and see how CJ-4/SM works out" category. I'm sure it'll be fine, and I'll be stuck with outdated oil.
frown.gif

The 5w-40 synthetic Rotella appears to still be CI-4. The 15w-40 has been CJ-4 for quite a while. Don't look for the bottle style, look at the specs.

I have 5 gallons to get rid of if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back