Store brand motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone use any store branded oil from the auto parts stores? In particular Advance? They have their brand sitting between Havoline and Shell, and the older black bottles say compare to Havoline while the newer white bottles say compare to Shell. Either way it seems like an ok deal for 50-80 cents a quart cheaper if it is decent. Just curious.

I think for a person who changes their oil frequently, the store brand oil would serve their purpose as most meet the standard oil specs.

However, today there are many deals after rebates where you can buy brand name oil at times for less than the store brand oils.

I say for 3K OCI, you will have a clean engine with store brand oils.

I'll probably be corrected but I think this is Warren Oil Co. or Warren-Unilube. Not to be confused with Warren Performance Products (makers of Wally World and Sears Spectrum) or Warren Petroleum (which I think is a pipeline company).

Warren-Unilube is the Warren Oil Co. buyout of Coastal which has a W. Memphis Arkansas refinery. At least I think Advance used to be Coastal.

I originally took their "compare to" tag to mean that it was a Havoline re-label but I think it's just advertising. I doubt if they even try to match the formula in any way.

Coastal (or maybe it was the parent Warren Oil) had some recalls because of weight problems but I don't remember the details I'm sure some checking of these threads might turn something up in the early 00's.

I know that Valvoline makes the NAPA store brand oil, and Shell makes Canadian Tire's store brand oil up here. Quaker State used to make Supertech but now it is blended by Warren.

Look at MSDS sheets if you can find them and go from there.

super tech oil is plenty good enough.
shoot for 5k oci's and u will be fine.
if u like to pretend u r a racer, tighten up the oci's a bit, or use a better brand.

make sure , above all , that the level is always sufficient.

Thanks for the input so far. I may be wrong, but I have kind of come to the point of thinking that if you change it religously every 3k which I do, use a good filter, and use the correct weight, then the brand is probably irrelevant.

I imagine the Advance brand meets modern specs for oil. I always look for the API label on any oil I'm unsure of.

There have been reports that some convenience stores sell SA-rated oil, which is far outdated and unsuitable for modern engines.

Originally Posted By: TYVOLS
Thanks for the input so far. I may be wrong, but I have kind of come to the point of thinking that if you change it religously every 3k which I do, use a good filter, and use the correct weight, then the brand is probably irrelevant.

Correct. Thats why we all go crazy when there are sales and BuyOneGetOnes so we can grab the better name oil for super cheap.

Back in the day when I did 3K oil changes I decided to try Pep Boys oil to save a few bucks. It met the current specs at the time so I gave it a go. The car used one quart during the 3K interval! I used it a second time and the same thing happened. Enough of that! I went back to GTX in the same grade and the consumption went back to zero where it had been prior to the Pep Boys oil. Check your oil level often just to make sure it's where it should be when using store brands.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
I know that Valvoline makes the NAPA store brand oil, and Shell makes Canadian Tire's store brand oil up here. Quaker State used to make Supertech but now it is blended by Warren.

Look at MSDS sheets if you can find them and go from there.

Is the Napa high mileage the same as Valvolines Maxlife?

I will not use no-name, generic, store brand or bulk oil. When I worked for GM years ago there were too many service department managers that told me how it is inferior and has less than acceptable qualities, higher consumption being one of the most frequent. If I can't be sure of what is in it, it doesn't go in my engine.

I decided not to use it after what some of you have said, bought the Havoline Deposit Shield instead because they had it for the same price as the store brand.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I will not use no-name, generic, store brand or bulk oil. When I worked for GM years ago there were too many service department managers that told me how it is inferior and has less than acceptable qualities

And we all know home much the average service manager who used to work sales knows about oil.

Originally Posted By: Jason8691
Is the Napa high mileage the same as Valvolines Maxlife?

I highly doubt it. The Valvoline is a premium synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
citgo makes the Meijer oil.

AutoTrend oils by Meijer are bottled by Citgo.
THe newer Meijer Oils will soon be slowly changed to Havoline.

Source:I emailed Customer Service on the Meijer website...

It may be time for a VOA!!!
Bob

Meijer oils are from Citgo
Auto Trend synthetic and semi-syn ois are from Warren (WPP)

I will keep an eye out for the Havoline switch - even though Customer Service probably meant to say Chevron instead.

Originally Posted By: TYVOLS

I agree with this and what spartuss wrote:

I think for a person who changes their oil frequently, the store brand oil would serve their purpose as most meet the standard oil specs.

However, today there are many deals after rebates where you can buy brand name oil at times for less than the store brand oils.

I say for 3K OCI, you will have a clean engine with store brand oils.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I will not use no-name, generic, store brand or bulk oil. When I worked for GM years ago there were too many service department managers that told me how it is inferior and has less than acceptable qualities, higher consumption being one of the most frequent. If I can't be sure of what is in it, it doesn't go in my engine.

Keep thinking that if it makes you sleep with a snuggly grin on your face.

It has been hashed out here many times and proven over and over again that most of the store branded labels meet the spec of what is listed on the bottle. They do fine when used with reasonable OCI's. This is no longer the 1970's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back